Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who is your first choice if we land #1

Doncic
57%
Ayton
41%
Bagley
No votes
JJJ
No votes
Young
No votes
Bamba
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 61

jonh

Re: Who would you pick if we (OGW-willing) landed #1?

Post by jonh »

I thought about creating a new thread, now that we have the #1 pick, but looking at the votes, it looks like things wouldn't change very much

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
His motor still concerns me. I don't want the next Bowie, meanwhile Sacramento takes the next Jordan.

jonh

Post by jonh »

iLLmatic wrote:
Superbone wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
His motor still concerns me. I don't want the next Bowie, meanwhile Sacramento takes the next Jordan.
Its a misnomer that Bowie was done in by his motor--wasn't it injuries that derailed his career?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

No idea if Bowie had a motor or not. I just don't want to take a big stiff, meanwhile, we miss out on a generational player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is definitely not a stiff

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

iLLmatic wrote:No idea if Bowie had a motor or not. I just don't want to take a big stiff, meanwhile, we miss out on a generational player.
A generational wing? That lacks athleticism and had character and emotional questions? That plays a position littered by a ton of similar players? Right. I guess Ayton is just another big.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:No idea if Bowie had a motor or not. I just don't want to take a big stiff, meanwhile, we miss out on a generational player.
A generational wing? That lacks athleticism and had character and emotional questions? That plays a position littered by a ton of similar players? Right. I guess Ayton is just another big.
Nash lacked athleticism, that worked out okay. Character and emotional issues? He's 18. He's a 6'8 guard who will play point guard because he has great vision and knows how to be creative with the ball.

What has Ayton done? How far did he go in the tournament? How will he play against guys who are just as big and athletic as him? I see nothing in Ayton that excites me.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

AmareIsGod wrote:
What are these character and emotional issues? I have never seen anyone claim Doncic has them. Also there is no team in the NBA that has too many quality wings. I'm not even trying to argue that Doncic should be taken ahead of Ayton, I don't really know. But your complaints against him seem strange.

Split T

Post by Split T »

iLLmatic wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Nash lacked athleticism, that worked out okay. Character and emotional issues? He's 18. He's a 6'8 guard who will play point guard because he has great vision and knows how to be creative with the ball.

What has Ayton done? How far did he go in the tournament? How will he play against guys who are just as big and athletic as him? I see nothing in Ayton that excites me.
Nothing that excites you? I'm not sure he's the right pick, but come on. If you can't see anything good in him then you're doing something wrong.

Also, there's maybe 2-3 guys in the league who are as big and athletic as Ayton.
Last edited by Split T on Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I see win win with either player.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Nodack wrote:I see win win with either player.
Agreed. What a great night!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

This Doncic character/emotional issues narrative that is being thrown out there is just silly. Stick with the athleticism concerns.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Not sure what you're talking about with Doncic. He's got 0 character issues and the emotional concerns you may have read about have to do with how passionately he plays. I'm good with that. He's not a Marquese Chriss-level pouty baby.

Also, wings that we can do what he can do are a massive rarity. There are like 3 similar players in the NBA. If Ayton can't space the floor or protect the rim, his game is too anachronistic to succeed in today's NBA, even if he averages 20-10. There' are plenty of "Very good" centers in the league. Can Ayton be transcendent?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there is a pretty good chance Ayton both spreads the floor and protects the rim. And I don't think Doncic is as rare as you say.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ayton has patrick ewing's midrange game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

My initial vote was for Doncic because he's a more versatile player, but I could still switch to Ayton depending on what happens between now and the draft.

For the record, I don't really care about what Ayton did (or didn't do) at Arizona. I can't hold Sean Miller's coaching against him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:I think there is a pretty good chance Ayton both spreads the floor and protects the rim. And I don't think Doncic is as rare as you say.
I agree (about the Ayton part). But it's not automatic.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:My initial vote was for Doncic because he's a more versatile player, but I could still switch to Ayton depending on what happens between now and the draft.
Same here.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:I think there is a pretty good chance Ayton both spreads the floor and protects the rim. And I don't think Doncic is as rare as you say.
Absolutely. Ayton is the best big to come out since AD. Yes, better than Embiid. Lets put it this way. Ayton is AD potential, Doncic is Gordon Hayward, maybe better. Maybe he has PG potential on the high end.

If we had gotten the #2 pick, we would be having this conversation trying to decide between Ayton and Doncic and feeling pretty good about our options. But now that we have the #1 pick, its Ayton all the way.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Absolutely. Ayton is the best big to come out since AD. Yes, better than Embiid. Lets put it this way. Ayton is AD potential, Doncic is Gordon Hayward, maybe better. Maybe he has PG potential on the high end.

If we had gotten the #2 pick, we would be having this conversation trying to decide between Ayton and Doncic and feeling pretty good about our options. But now that we have the #1 pick, its Ayton all the way.
I do not think Ayton is a better C prospect than Embiid or Towns. If he ended up as good as either of those 2, I'd be pretty ecstatic. I think Ayton has the highest upside, but I think Doncic has the highest floor, I just don't see how he doesn't end up at least a very good player.