2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2023 Suns General Offseason/PostSeason News Thread

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am
Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:50 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:48 am
How does Kyrie help on the defensive end though? Defense and a lack of bench production is what killed us in the playoffs. Signing Kyrie would make it harder to bring in a starting caliber centre and our bench would be full of scrubs.
We could actually trade for Kyrie and still use the MLE and BAE.

We could steal Bruce Brown away from Denver with the MLE. Then use the BAE to get the best big man who will take it.
Bruce Brown would have to opt out of his contract and would then have to accept the tax-payer MLE. Why would he do that?

And wouldn't acquiring Kyrie via sign and trade hard cap the Suns?
If the suns waive and stretch CP3, which they’d have to do to get Kyrie, it would hard-cap them, but they’d also have access to the full MLE. So Brown would opt out because he could get like 5 million more from the suns than his deal in Denver.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was thinking this was a foregone conclusion now that we have two legit stars and was something Monty had to adjust to after the trade and during the playoffs. I'd still like to see elements of the 0.5 to guard against ISO predictability, but you need the ball in the hands of your best players.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:15 am

But who would even want him at this point? He can’t be a starting point guard on a championship level team, so no contenders are trading for him. At this stage in his career, he’ll only be interested in playing for potential contenders, so a trade at this point is probably to a team who just wants to opt out if his contract, stretch his remaining money so they can have even more cap space or be out of the luxury tax so he then he can choose where he wants to sign after he is released.

I could see him staying if we restructure his deal so it’s not freaking 30 million but is that even allowed in the CBA?

I think the most likely outcome here is he just retires.

I think he just retires. I think he sees the
Nobody is trading for CP3.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Wally_West wrote:
D@mn I'd love to be a fly on the wall.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:42 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:49 am
I’d pull Ayton for Poole if we could also get Looney in the deal.
Looney is immensely better value for them than Ayton, and Looney does for them exactly what they need for him to do. So they would be bringing in a player that cost more than three times as much, with probably half the motor. They punted James Wiseman away to save money, and Ayton would have the same issues there as Wiseman did. So I don't see this being a viable option. Honestly, I don't see GS really being open to any deal with the Suns; everything would seem to be a downgrade for them.
Yeah I doubt they would be foolish to go for him. I think it makes sense he go to another win now team who needs to get off of a player. Or to a team like the Pacers.
I bet Ishbia and JJ will have some good options to choose from. Ayton is frustrating but I think he has some good years ahead so long as the pressure isn’t too high to win. He just can’t be on a team that gets too serious or competitive. As good as he can be he has a bit of Kwame Brown in him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:59 am
If the suns waive and stretch CP3, which they’d have to do to get Kyrie, it would hard-cap them, but they’d also have access to the full MLE. So Brown would opt out because he could get like 5 million more from the suns than his deal in Denver.
You're right on the financials. Waiving and stretching Paul brings the Suns payroll down approximately $140 million. Salary cap is projected to be $134 million, L-Tax $162 million.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:35 am

Mostly, agree with this. I’m kinda want to move off Payne too but it’s not exactly like there’s better options out there.
There are plenty of better options than Payne. This last game aside, he's got 1 good season and the bubble on his resume and then the last 2 full seasons + playoffs and every other season of his career to show us why he's a fringe NBA player.

As examples, Dennis Smith and Kris Dunn were signed to minimum deals this season. Both are better than Payne at this point. I honestly think Saben Lee might be better.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:23 am
I bet Ishbia and JJ will have some good options to choose from. Ayton is frustrating but I think he has some good years ahead so long as the pressure isn’t too high to win. He just can’t be on a team that gets too serious or competitive. As good as he can be he has a bit of Kwame Brown in him.
I think Dallas, Atlanta, New York, Portland and Washington will all show interest, Washington being the least likely destination.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:25 am
As examples, Dennis Smith and Kris Dunn were signed to minimum deals this season. Both are better than Payne at this point. I honestly think Saben Lee might be better.
Come on, 'bazz.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:31 am
Shabazz wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:25 am
Come on, 'bazz.
I assume that's about the Saben point. He's much steadier than Payne and a better defender. He's obviously not the scorer and isn't as fast, but he does a much better job getting the team into the offense and can create rim pressure in the half-court.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:23 am
Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:59 am
You're right on the financials. Waiving and stretching Paul brings the Suns payroll down approximately $140 million. Salary cap is projected to be $134 million, L-Tax $162 million.
It’s tight, but we can put a full roster out there and stay under the 170ish million tax apron you have to stay under to use the full MLE. That would also be our hard cap if we make a S&T

I did the math and it’s basically
1. KD - 47.6
2. Booker - 36
3. Ayton(or whoever you trade Ayton for) - 32.4
4. MLE - 12.2
5. Shamet - 10.2
6. Payne - 6.5(can waive and save 4.5 million)
7. BAE - 4.3
8-15. Minimum contract guys. 1 to 1.9 million each.

Then add the 3.2 million for CP3

152.4 without the minimum deals. If you assume 1.9 for all of them it adds 15.2 million for a total of 167.6 million.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dennis Smith isn't a good player. I think Dunn is solid, but he can't stay healthy, and his peak isn't anywhere near Payne's.

Saben Lee hasn't proven he is a NBA player.

Overall, I agree we can't rely on Payne. But I think you took the point too far.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I will say I did think we should’ve signed Dunn with that roster spot we gave to Ross. He played well for Utah down the stretch. Not sure he’d have been a playoff contributor for us though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:39 am
It would be huge if we could take back less money in an Ayton trade and add two good players.
Split T wrote:
I see people talking about Monty being forced to play bad NBA players; I don't think that is going to change. With the way the roster has been managed, I don't think that is going to change during the Booker-Durant era. The Suns can reduce the number of bad players they have to play, but it's going to be a reoccurring issue.
Split T wrote:
I think Paul's cap hit will $5.26 million.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:48 am
Coach Paul wants to be GM Paul?
Your dream scenario. ;)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:17 am
Wally_West wrote:
D@mn I'd love to be a fly on the wall.
You'd be really sorry as soon as the meeting was over. ;) Plus, you'd have nobody to tell it to other than a bunch of flys.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

What’s up with Book no showing media again?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:59 am
What’s up with Book no showing media again?
Sore loser?

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:49 am
Split T wrote:
It would be huge if we could take back less money in an Ayton trade and add two good players.
Split T wrote:
I see people talking about Monty being forced to play bad NBA players; I don't think that is going to change. With the way the roster has been managed, I don't think that is going to change during the Booker-Durant era. The Suns can reduce the number of bad players they have to play, but it's going to be a reoccurring issue.
Split T wrote:
I think Paul's cap hit will $5.26 million.
Agreed on first two points.

I’m not sure about the CP3 cap hit. I’ve heard you can stretch it over twice the contract length plus one year. And I’ve heard that his non-guaranteed 2nd year counts. But it would make sense if it doesn’t.

If the 2nd year counts we can stretch over 5 years and it’s 3.16 million. If it doesn’t count, we stretch over 3 years and it’s the 5.26 you mentioned.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal that sends Ayton/Shamet to Portland for a resigned Jerami Grant and Jusuf Nurkic.