2023 Coaching Search

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2023 Coaching Search

Post by ShelC »

Our guys have enough connections around the league to get inside info on all those guys. CP played for Doc. Jones, CP, KD and Book can ask LeBron about Vogel. KD's spoken highly of Nurse in the past.

Vogel may be the most solid choice of the group.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I kinda want Jordi Fernandez

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Here’s an interesting read on Jordi. Kings fans love him, he’s popular with players, brainy offensive minded coach who values off ball movement, and has a PhD. Book and KD need a smart modern basketball coach. I’d be into it. https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/04/29/j ... o-raptors/

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kings had best offense in the league and he previously coached with Jokic/Denver too

Split T

Post by Split T »

This quote was interesting:

Having worked with names like LeBron James and Nikola Jokic in the past, Fernandez’s hallmark includes an emphasis on big men who can pass and 3-point shooting.

Also he was with Denver until last year… only this season with Kings

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Team Jordi.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:36 pm
In that case, I hope it's Vogel. He's really the only available coach I've had above Monty.
Why's that?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:25 pm
Here’s an interesting read on Jordi. Kings fans love him, he’s popular with players, brainy offensive minded coach who values off ball movement, and has a PhD. Book and KD need a smart modern basketball coach. I’d be into it. https://raptorsrapture.com/2023/04/29/j ... o-raptors/
Thanks. Didn't know anything about him. Sounds intriguing.

"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

I'm also intrigued by what I've heard / read about Fernandez. On that basis, I'd rank the remaining 5 candidates:

1. Fernandez
2. Nurse
3. Vogel
4. Rivers
5. Young

I would be inclined to put Vogel above Nurse in that list but we'd surely need a complete overhaul of the roster to bring in the sort of defense oriented players he likes. Not impossible but not sure that's the direction Ishbia/Jones really want to go in.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is strange coming after the Woj and Shams tweets:

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:06 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
In that case, I hope it's Vogel. He's really the only available coach I've had above Monty.
Why's that?
He's won a title (bubble.. :?) and successfully managed a roster with superstars and the highest expectations. Much like KD being the first major Suns acquisition to have won a title (and Finals MVP), Vogel would bring a similar credibility to the bench.

His tactical strengths are on the defensive side, and I think the collective offensive talent on the Suns would be great enough to work through a lot of shortcomings from the coaching staff on that side. There could be concerns with the offensive game plan depending on the rest of his staff, the Suns roster, and how things look going into the season, but I like having a defensive leaning coach to establish a different identity for this team. As an aside, one major reason I'm disappointed in the Monty firing is that I don't feel like he got a fair chance to implement his offensive scheme with Booker and KD, and bringing in another offensive minded coach likely wouldn't significantly alter the identity of the team.

I like that he's been out of the league for a year. I want to assume that taking year off has helped him evaluate and improve on his tactics. This is optimistic and conjecture, but it's likely safe to assume he's been observing the league and strategizing in the past year and that can't really be a bad thing. With respect to Bud, Nurse, and Doc, it seems like the constant retread coaches can be a bit to deep in the forest to see the trees when they change teams.

I also like that he's a hard ass. I really appreciated Monty's "family" approach to build the culture of this team for the past 4 years. We should all be tremendously grateful for his efforts because the culture was absolute garbage for a decade buoyed by an abhorrent owner. But it's time to turn the page on that philosophy. Booker and KD are confident enough in their own abilities to accept and support the toughest of love, and I want to see most of the rest of the staff and roster built in that image. This is a reason why I also wouldn't mind Nurse, but am not all that interested in Bud or Doc.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:24 pm
I kinda want Jordi Fernandez
I know nothing about him, but now I have something to distract me from other things I should be doing for the next couple of days. Thanks!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I like what I'm learning about Jordi Fernandez; I think if we were a younger, developing team, he would be my top pick. I could definitely live with him if he's the pick.

I think Nurse is my preferred candidate, mostly because I like what he's done over the years defensively with the Raptors. His defensive schemes are never predictable, and he adjusts quickly, even during the game. IF we were to keep Ayton, maybe Nurse could find some good ways to utilize him defensively. But considering that KD and Book are pretty good defenders, I think we could be one of the top defensive teams next year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:09 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:06 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Why's that?
He's won a title (bubble.. :?) and successfully managed a roster with superstars and the highest expectations. Much like KD being the first major Suns acquisition to have won a title (and Finals MVP), Vogel would bring a similar credibility to the bench.

His tactical strengths are on the defensive side, and I think the collective offensive talent on the Suns would be great enough to work through a lot of shortcomings from the coaching staff on that side. There could be concerns with the offensive game plan depending on the rest of his staff, the Suns roster, and how things look going into the season, but I like having a defensive leaning coach to establish a different identity for this team. As an aside, one major reason I'm disappointed in the Monty firing is that I don't feel like he got a fair chance to implement his offensive scheme with Booker and KD, and bringing in another offensive minded coach likely wouldn't significantly alter the identity of the team.

I like that he's been out of the league for a year. I want to assume that taking year off has helped him evaluate and improve on his tactics. This is optimistic and conjecture, but it's likely safe to assume he's been observing the league and strategizing in the past year and that can't really be a bad thing. With respect to Bud, Nurse, and Doc, it seems like the constant retread coaches can be a bit to deep in the forest to see the trees when they change teams.

I also like that he's a hard ass. I really appreciated Monty's "family" approach to build the culture of this team for the past 4 years. We should all be tremendously grateful for his efforts because the culture was absolute garbage for a decade buoyed by an abhorrent owner. But it's time to turn the page on that philosophy. Booker and KD are confident enough in their own abilities to accept and support the toughest of love, and I want to see most of the rest of the staff and roster built in that image. This is a reason why I also wouldn't mind Nurse, but am not all that interested in Bud or Doc.
Thanks for all that. Makes me feel good about Vogel. Only thing I don't agree with I bolded. Nurse has only had one team and he helped them win a championship. That's why he's one of my top choices.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I love how Simmons just throws out that Young is the guy with no explanation or further comment and moves on.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Regarding Young, just seems like it would be a surprising hire since he was the lead assistant for Williams. (I feel like I can't say Monty anymore because of Marty. I personally don't feel it's disrespectful. It's just his name and it's more descriptive than Williams.) Unless, Monty really wouldn't listen to or was slow to adopt his ideas. I don't know. Maybe via discussions he has given them ideas for how he'd like to run the team that Ishbia and Jones like.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

This is just media bias but still…

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:01 am
I like what I'm learning about Jordi Fernandez; I think if we were a younger, developing team, he would be my top pick. I could definitely live with him if he's the pick.

I think Nurse is my preferred candidate, mostly because I like what he's done over the years defensively with the Raptors. His defensive schemes are never predictable, and he adjusts quickly, even during the game. IF we were to keep Ayton, maybe Nurse could find some good ways to utilize him defensively. But considering that KD and Book are pretty good defenders, I think we could be one of the top defensive teams next year. I do think Ayton on a different squad will perform back to where he was before and can be coaxed into some great performances.
For me it comes down to dynamics. If they keep Ayton, Jordi is the guy. If they want to move on and bring in vets, it’s Nurse.
I don’t think Nurse is going to squeeze more juice out of Ayton through expectations unless he gets different looks in the offense. I think Ayton’s issues primarily are 1. He is emotionally up and down 2. Doesn’t have the self discipline to hang with Alphas or tough coaches and earn their respect. 3. Hasn’t grown his offensive game.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:08 am
Regarding Young, just seems like it would be a surprising hire since he was the lead assistant for Williams. (I feel like I can't say Monty anymore because of Marty. I personally don't feel it's disrespectful. It's just his name and it's more descriptive than Williams.) Unless, Monty really wouldn't listen to or was slow to adopt his ideas. I don't know. Maybe via discussions he has given them ideas for how he'd like to run the team that Ishbia and Jones like.
If it's Young, the only explanation I would have is that the players (mainly Booker) wanted him. But I don't think they should just hire whoever the players want. I think we need an experienced championship head coach.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.