2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by UglyTruth »

Hermen wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 am
Don't get me wrong, give Booker the max, but why is he getting an extension now? Isn't the team just throwing away half of the cap space next year? It's not like he will turn down the max contract next summer, and he's getting the same money anyway. As competitive as Booker appears to be, it seems like he could understand that extra $20M (I guess?) cap space helps greatly next year when everyone is a free agent.
You know Booker doesn’t live in a cave right? He just saw what happened to DeMarcus Cousins and him losing out on countless MILLIONS of dollars because of his Achilles injury.

If Booker suffers an Achilles injury next season, is someone gonna personally offer to pony up the $$ to make up for the difference in the crappy offers he will get next summer?

It would be such an idiotic risk for Booker to take especially after seeing firsthand what just happened to Boogie Cousins. And seeing how McD conducts his business, Booker is educated enough to know that he will get kicked to the curb immediately if he suffers a similar or worse injury.
Last edited by UglyTruth on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Superbone

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:58 pm
carey wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:16 am
JeremyG wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Don't get me wrong, give Booker the max, but why is he getting an extension now? Isn't the team just throwing away half of the cap space next year? It's not like he will turn down the max contract next summer, and he's getting the same money anyway. As competitive as Booker appears to be, it seems like he could understand that extra $20M (I guess?) cap space helps greatly next year when everyone is a free agent.
Sarver’s cheap. He doesn’t want to be able to add an extra 20 million in payroll.

Seriously though I don’t think either side wants to risk anything at this point. Just get him locked up.
I think the "Sarver is cheap" bullshit needs to stop. They're doing it now because they're terrified he's going to leave. Booker's doing it now because he's been on a cheap ass rookie contract while playing like a star for the last three years and he wants the money and respect that comes with it around the league.
When Sarver actually pays his staff at least average salary for what their peers make in the NBA, the “Sarver is cheap” bullshit will stop. Until then it will continue.

Why is it that Gentry, Hunter, Hornacek, Watson, Triano, B____s and even McD all were among the least paid for their position in the NBA?

Weren’t there rumors that salary was the reason Budenholzer passed on the Suns so Sarver can sign a rookie HC which is normally lot cheaper than guys with HC experience?
Funny how you skip our new coach who just got a competitive contract.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:00 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Sarver’s cheap. He doesn’t want to be able to add an extra 20 million in payroll.

Seriously though I don’t think either side wants to risk anything at this point. Just get him locked up.
I think the "Sarver is cheap" bullshit needs to stop. They're doing it now because they're terrified he's going to leave. Booker's doing it now because he's been on a cheap ass rookie contract while playing like a star for the last three years and he wants the money and respect that comes with it around the league.
When Sarver actually pays his staff at least average salary for what their peers make in the NBA, the “Sarver is cheap” bullshit will stop. Until then it will continue.

Why is it that Gentry, Hunter, Hornacek, Watson, Triano, B____s and even McD all were among the least paid for their position in the NBA?

Weren’t there rumors that salary was the reason Budenholzer passed on the Suns so Sarver can sign a rookie HC which is normally lot cheaper than guys with HC experience?
Tell me you have a source for that other than Gambo who is Sarver’s mouth piece and publicist...and even if true is 1/11 a good number? :|

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Dont forget Bryan Colangelo left due to compensation disagreements. I still remember the Sarver interview afterwards indicating he values players first, then coaches, then GMs.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

"Bryan Colangelo's relationship with Sarver had soured amid reports that the two men had been unable to come to terms on an extension of Colangelo's contract, which reportedly was worth $1 million per year and expired at the end of next season."

https://azdailysun.com/sports/suns-gm-c ... 2d33b.html

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He also low balled Kerr after the WCFs run.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 pm
He also low balled Kerr after the WCFs run.
Thats right. I seem to remember Kerr wanted raises for his staff and Sarver refused.

So many examples. Are we really, in 2018, arguing whether or not Robert Sarver is cheap?

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Well Bryan Colangelo turned out to be a clown. The one he needed to keep was Kerr. Also, other than Phil Jackson, when has hiring a coach with experience paid off. Most coaches that win, win with their first team. So statistically I get Sarvers reasoning.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:00 pm
UglyTruth wrote:
carey wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Tell me you have a source for that other than Gambo who is Sarver’s mouth piece and publicist...and even if true is 1/11 a good number? :|
The facts are out there. I call it a start.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Get ready for a whole lot of negative (as usual) from me:

1) Ariza signing makes zero sense. He's a three. We have lots of threes. It was the one position where we already incredibly over-saturated. There was already questions as to how TJ Warren fits in. This feels like Dragic/Bledsoe/IT times five.

Further, the "championship pedigree" stuff is garbage. He won a championship because he was on a team with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol that was coached by Phil Jackson. What "veteran leadership" or "role model" do they think they are getting with him that they arent getting from Jared Dudley or Tyson Chandler? The only positive stuff I've heard is "well its only one year".

2) Tyreke Evans got a one year, 12 million dollar deal with Indiana. He's 28 and could probably share play-making duties well with Booker and Knight. He also plays one of the two positions we were incredibly weak at. Wasted opportunity.
You're worried too much about traditional positions. And Ariza is going to get most, if not all, of his minutes at the "4".It's also not remotely close to Dragic/IT/Bled. The problem with those guys was they were all primary ball handlers sharing the court together. Ariza/Bridges/Warren etc. are off the ball players and they can share the court without changing anything about their game.

Playing multiple wings at a time is more comparable to playing 5 wr lineups or splitting a rb out as a receiver. The dragic/bled/IT issue was like putting 2 qb's in the backfield.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

MightyMoog wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 pm
Well Bryan Colangelo turned out to be a clown. The one he needed to keep was Kerr. Also, other than Phil Jackson, when has hiring a coach with experience paid off. Most coaches that win, win with their first team. So statistically I get Sarvers reasoning.
Rick Carlisle? And I think Rockets fans are plenty happy with Mike D’Antoni as well.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

MightyMoog wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:15 pm
Colangelo did not turn out to be a "clown". Remember BC actually pulled off the Joe Johnson for Diaw and two first round picks trade before he quit. He then signed John Salmons to the Raptors who would have been a freaking perfect fit for back up point guard for us.

Remember Sarver then tried the "San Antonio approach" where Mike D'Antoni would be both GM and head coach (a two-fer)?!! Signed Marcus Banks?

Did Bryan Colangelo do any worse than Kerr (forced to trade Kurt Thomas and two first round picks for a second round pick), Babby (Josh Childress/Warrick), Blanks (Michael Beasely) or McDonough (Isaiah Thomas, Morrii, Bledsoe, Dragic etc)?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:20 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:

1) Ariza signing makes zero sense. He's a three. We have lots of threes. It was the one position where we already incredibly over-saturated. There was already questions as to how TJ Warren fits in. This feels like Dragic/Bledsoe/IT times five.

Further, the "championship pedigree" stuff is garbage. He won a championship because he was on a team with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol that was coached by Phil Jackson. What "veteran leadership" or "role model" do they think they are getting with him that they arent getting from Jared Dudley or Tyson Chandler? The only positive stuff I've heard is "well its only one year".

2) Tyreke Evans got a one year, 12 million dollar deal with Indiana. He's 28 and could probably share play-making duties well with Booker and Knight. He also plays one of the two positions we were incredibly weak at. Wasted opportunity.
You're worried too much about traditional positions. And Ariza is going to get most, if not all, of his minutes at the "4".It's also not remotely close to Dragic/IT/Bled. The problem with those guys was they were all primary ball handlers sharing the court together. Ariza/Bridges/Warren etc. are off the ball players and they can share the court without changing anything about their game.

Playing multiple wings at a time is more comparable to playing 5 wr lineups or splitting a rb out as a receiver. The dragic/bled/IT issue was like putting 2 qb's in the backfield.
The new NBA has three positions: Lead guard (1), wings (3 or 2), and big (1 or 2).

Lead guard: Knight, Okobo, Harrison, Booker
Wing: Booker, Ariza, JJ, TJ, Bridges, Daniels, Bender
Big: Ayton, Chandler, Chriss, Bender

Given that model, the depth chart is fairly well balanced. We just need a better starting pg.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Split T wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

*Giant shrug*

I see what youre saying but I still think it makes zero sense. I also think Evans at the 1 is a much better option than at Ariza at the 4.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:30 pm

The new NBA has three positions: Lead guard (1), wings (3 or 2), and big (1 or 2).

Given that model, the depth chart is fairly well balanced. We just need a better starting pg.
I think you have to often play two "bigs" unless you have Shawn Marion who is the size of a wing but rebounds like a big (Ariza doesnt come close...his rebound rate is half of Marion's a la 2006).

Looking at those four bigs and three "lead guards" (I wont count Booker), I see one player (Ayton) that will probably be in the league in three years. I count five wings on your list who will probably still be in the league in 2021.

Split T

Post by Split T »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:35 pm
Split T wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

*Giant shrug*

I see what youre saying but I still think it makes zero sense. I also think Evans at the 1 is a much better option than at Ariza at the 4.
That's fair, I liked Tyreke too

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:43 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:

I think you have to often play two "bigs" unless you have Shawn Marion who is the size of a wing but rebounds like a big (Ariza doesnt come close...his rebound rate is half of Marion's a la 2006).

Looking at those four bigs and three "lead guards" (I wont count Booker), I see one player (Ayton) that will probably be in the league in three years. I count five wings on your list who will probably still be in the league in 2021.
Not much faith in Okobo, Harrison, Knight, Chriss or Bender do you.

Knight will be in the league a long time. I think all those will be in the league with maybe the exception of Harrison.

Split T

Post by Split T »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:43 pm
JCSunsfan wrote:

What's Bender's rebound rate?

carey

Post by carey »

UglyTruth wrote:

He wanted a different job. Who knows why he chose a different team. If it's money then sure I can see being quite pissed off. I heard he wanted the Bucks job all along.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:00 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:35 pm
Split T wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:

*Giant shrug*

That's fair, I liked Tyreke too
We all did.