Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

^ $$$$$$$$$

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/873190577952747520

Cool!
Stupid. They drop wrestling which is a classic Olympic sport and add 3 on 3 basketball -- a form of basketball that is not played in any real league anywhere. How idiotic.
It's important to stay up with the new Big3 league. I'm just kidding. I like basketball so I'd probably watch the olympic event.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

Cool!
Stupid. They drop wrestling which is a classic Olympic sport and add 3 on 3 basketball -- a form of basketball that is not played in any real league anywhere. How idiotic.
Pfft.. Wrestling stopped being classic when Hulk Hogan retired brother. 8-)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

Cool!
Is wresting played in a "real league"?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:

Cool!
Is wresting played in a "real league"?
At the collegiate level. 3-on-3 doesn't even have that.

carey

Post by carey »

Yahoo let Kelly Dwyer go. Kind of a bummer. He wrote one of my favorite Suns things that was my signature at the old site for a long time. It was when the year's slogan was "Eyes on the prize." He wrote that Sarver may have one eye on the prize but the other one firmly on the bottom line. It was after we had made a bunch of cost saving moves that ultimately sacrificed talent. I think this probably has something to do with the rumors that ESPN poached Woj from Yahoo with some of the Vertical staff.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:Yahoo let Kelly Dwyer go. Kind of a bummer. He wrote one of my favorite Suns things that was my signature at the old site for a long time. It was when the year's slogan was "Eyes on the prize." He wrote that Sarver may have one eye on the prize but the other one firmly on the bottom line. It was after we had made a bunch of cost saving moves that ultimately sacrificed talent. I think this probably has something to do with the rumors that ESPN poached Woj from Yahoo with some of the Vertical staff.
Dwyer used to be one of my favorite bball writers, but he seemed to become a lot more bitter and weird over the last few years.

I think you're right about the rumors. With Woj leaving, I think Yahoo is going to shutter most of its BBall editorial content. I wonder if Woj is taking Shams Charnia with him and I also wonder what this means for DraftExpress, which is partnered with The Vertical. ESPN let Chad Ford go. Do they absorb DX too?

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:I think you're right about the rumors. With Woj leaving, I think Yahoo is going to shutter most of its BBall editorial content. I wonder if Woj is taking Shams Charnia with him and I also wonder what this means for DraftExpress, which is partnered with The Vertical. ESPN let Chad Ford go. Do they absorb DX too?
When did they do that? Just read his draft tiers column yesterday and his Twitter still has his bio as working for ESPN. Maybe you're thinking of someone else? Chris Broussard maybe?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

They announced Chad Ford was being let go with all the other layoffs, they are just keeping him until the draft is over

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:They announced Chad Ford was being let go with all the other layoffs, they are just keeping him until the draft is over
Oh really? What a bummer for him. :( Wonder where he will end up. Somewhere that will let him work from Hawaii still? Lol.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/875433221776748544

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lebron displaying that straight-out-of-high-school wit of his.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Lebron displaying that straight-out-of-high-school wit of his.
Are you saying you're above silly jokes?

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Indy wrote:
Bruiser wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:A) I just want a good product in the NBA and NCAA. And direct-to-NBA would be bad for both leagues. I don't get the "she was asking for it" analogy and I don't have any tolerance for rape culture.

B) 2 years in NCAA doesn't mean I think NCAA athletes should work for free. I don't mind if the NCAA came up with some kind of revenue sharing for basketball players.

C) They could go to the D-League if they want. Whatever the D-League pays, fine. But I think a lot of them would stay in college even if the NCAA paid less.
I am sorry for chiming in but I find it hard to disagree with this point of view. You got to fight a little and proof youself for your right to be at the very top. I think that is what sports and competitions are about and that is just the way it should be.
You should never be sorry for chiming in. You should chime in more. Even if you are wrong. :P

If you have already proven yourself enough where an NBA team wants to use their pick, and guaranteed millions of dollars on you, what else do you have to prove?

Got it. Thank you for your encouragement :)

I guess you can make a point either way and I see where you are coming from.

I am still somewhat worried to the effect that the draft might remain a little bit of a crap shoot as long as the majority of these young prospects (at whatever age) have not accumulated a somewhat significant body of training/experience/work to be evaluated on. However, this might be a completely different aspect of the discussion ...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Are you saying you're above silly jokes?
I don't mind a lewd joke, but I just didn't think this one was particularly clever or well written.

carey

Post by carey »

Philly are in deep discussions to acquire the #1 pick according to Woj.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea was going to post this but wasn't sure where. Do we need a separate general draft thread or just use this?

Philly supposedly really likes Fultz.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Fultz is the perfect fit for Philly. Can score on and off the ball, defends, athletic. Such a good fit with Simmons and Embiid.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

So the opportunity cost for us of the Brandon Knight trade will have been Markelle Fultz. Super.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:Yea was going to post this but wasn't sure where. Do we need a separate general draft thread or just use this?

Philly supposedly really likes Fultz.
My apologies for posting it in our draft thread :oops: , more folks are continuing to drop more info....
Sam Amick‏Verified account @sam_amick 9m ago

Sense from involved parties in Boston-Philly talks is Cs are all in. Checking physicals, poised to give No. 1 for package centered on No. 3
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)