Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Warriors (2-1), Mon 10/22/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Warriors (2-1), Mon 10/22/18

Post by O_Gardino »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:14 pm
Happy with Ayton's play the second quarter onwards. Had he come out and played like this from the beginning, the game would look different now.
This is what I'm watching for. The team stinks, but I enjoyed seeing Ayton make adjustments and compete as the game went on.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 pm
Anderson and his stupid ass haircut are terrible. He provides nothing but bricks on offense and concrete feet on defense. Send him to Supercuts and never let him return.
We don't need another hair solon incident.

But, really. Every time he shoots he looks rushed and his feet aren't set etc etc. It's been a long time since he had a defender anywhere near him. He looks like a rookie who is unprepared for NBA pace and physicality.

How does Warren only get 24 minutes on a night like this?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 pm
Believe it or not -- I really liked what I saw from Bender today. He didn't do anything except get scored on -- but his body language was good and he was fully in control. He knew what he was supposed to do and did it with confidence. Let's not expect too much of him and see if he is turning the corner.

Indeed, I wonder if it might be time to replace Anderson with Bender in the starting lineup. If Bender sucks, you can always yank him.

In theory, he's the big, mobile, 3-balling, shot-blocking PF that would be perfect next to Ayton. Call me crazy but I'm shifting in favor of extending his contract. Maybe I won't buy a place on Bender Island but maybe open to signing a short-term apartment rental.
I swear to god Bender is better than Anderson when he doesn't over think things. I really hope Igor and staff are building him up behind the scenes.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm
Xylus wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 pm
-Holmes should be taking 100% of Chandler’s minutes.
-I like the Booker, Warren, JJ, Ariza, Ayton lineup
-Ariza was garbage tonight. Looked really disinterested.
-More Mikal please
-We really need a PG, guys..
Crawford!
He played seven minutes and had no shots, turnovers, etc. except for three assists. I fast forwarded the minutes in which he played, though, so I don't recall how he looked.

But to really maximize Crawford's effectiveness, you need him to run a pick-and-roll with an effective big man. This is no longer Tyson Chandler.
I thought his 1st quarter minutes were key for us. He got out on the court and started talking to every Suns player and I thought helped focus us. His 3 assists were maybe our first 3. I don't remember specifically, but at one point very early in the game he had 3 and I don't think anyone else even had 2.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

It'll be interesting to see how long Koko stays with these vets when they're giving us so little. I don't understand how TJ isn't playing 38 minutes a night given his level of play. When do we see Melton or Okobo get more of a shot?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I know Bender Island only has like 2 people left, but can I just say for the 4 of us that have been on Warren Island for the last couple years... fuck yeah. So far he has been our best overall player this year (I know it has only been 3 games). I certainly hope he isn't our best player after 15 games or so, because that would mean Booker is incredibly inefficient and Ayton isn't learning, but him shooting 57% from 3 with a consistent shot every game is really nice to see.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

For his career, Warren is averaging just under 14 ppg and shooting 50% from the field.
The rap on him had been no three-point shot.
He's obviously worked on that in the off-season: so far, 8-14 from behind the arc, for a 57% accuracy.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 am
I know Bender Island only has like 2 people left, but can I just say for the 4 of us that have been on Warren Island for the last couple years... f*** yeah. So far he has been our best overall player this year (I know it has only been 3 games). I certainly hope he isn't our best player after 15 games or so, because that would mean Booker is incredibly inefficient and Ayton isn't learning, but him shooting 57% from 3 with a consistent shot every game is really nice to see.
For those on the island, were you expecting this level of shooting? I never abandoned the island, but I have been in favor of selling it for a new island. I've always appreciated his scoring ability, but never thought he'd be a core piece without picking up his defense or learning to shoot. Props to him for improving both of those. The shooting feels legit and makes me feel a lot better about the 4 spot going forward. Fix the PG spot and we might look pretty good.
Last edited by Split T on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I know everyone already tired of "our vets" but I honestly don't even think Crawford has been playing bad
to me he's been trying to facilitate instead of just looking for his shot (standard dribble pull up) but again with Tyson being the one screening and the primary reads to hit rolling, that is clearly proving to be futile
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, the pass to Chandler at the free throw line in the pick n roll needs to stop. Lobs and dumpoffs are fine. Give it to him in the high post for dho, but please stop passing to him on the move when he's more than 3 feet from the rim

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 am
I know everyone already tired of "our vets" but I honestly don't even think Crawford has been playing bad
to me he's been trying to facilitate instead of just looking for his shot (standard dribble pull up) but again with Tyson being the one screening and the primary reads to hit rolling, that is clearly proving to be futile
Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:20 am
Ya, the pass to Chandler at the free throw line in the pick n roll needs to stop. Lobs and dumpoffs are fine. Give it to him in the high post for dho, but please stop passing to him on the move when he's more than 3 feet from the rim
Both true.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
I know Bender Island only has like 2 people left, but can I just say for the 4 of us that have been on Warren Island for the last couple years... f*** yeah. So far he has been our best overall player this year (I know it has only been 3 games). I certainly hope he isn't our best player after 15 games or so, because that would mean Booker is incredibly inefficient and Ayton isn't learning, but him shooting 57% from 3 with a consistent shot every game is really nice to see.
Bender has played badly, but I really don't see how he would be worse than Ryan Anderson right now. At least Bender plays a little defense. I would not be opposed to starting Bender and giving him big minutes and letting the chips fall. Its likely that neither Bender nor Anderson are part of our future but the preference goes to the young guy IMO.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If we're benching Anderson, why would we do it for Bender? Give those minutes to Warren

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 am
Indy wrote:
Bender has played badly, but I really don't see how he would be worse than Ryan Anderson right now. At least Bender plays a little defense. I would not be opposed to starting Bender and giving him big minutes and letting the chips fall. Its likely that neither Bender nor Anderson are part of our future but the preference goes to the young guy IMO.
I think the one thing Anderson does give you is that he regularly shoots from several feet behind the line, stretching the defense. But considering he is 2-12 for the season, people are going to just let him throw those up. He is a career 38% from 3, with his lowest year being 36.5%. If we think he will get there very soon, then maybe he is worth putting out there over Bender. But otherwise, I agree.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 am
If we're benching Anderson, why would we do it for Bender? Give those minutes to Warren
Fair, and I love TJ. But they we are left with Jackson as the only guy on the bench that can get you buckets. And with him, those buckets are not very efficient, even less so if he is the only guy out there that can score besides standing at the 3pt line.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 am
Indy wrote:
For those on the island, were you expecting this level of shooting? I never abandoned the island, but I have been in favor of selling it for a new island. I've always appreciated his scoring ability, but never thought he'd be a core piece without picking up his defense or learning to shoot. Props to him for improving both of those. The shooting feels legit and makes me feel a lot better about the 4 spot going forward. Fix the PG spot and we might look pretty good.
I did NOT expect him to shoot 57% from 3. I thought he could get it up to 33% if we had some other legit threats on the team so that he wasn't the only guy the defense had to guard at the 3.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

1. Warren has been our best player so far this season. That might be sacrilege, but it seems to be the case.
2. We really need a pg to relieve Booker from his turnovers and Ayton to be more effective.
3. Canaan was good the first game, but was horrid last night.
4. I wonder if the left pinky being all taped up last night caused about 2-3 turnovers from Booker? It just seemed that when he went to the left, he bobbled his dribble a bit.
5. Booker's defense is becoming absolutely indefensible. He gives no effort to get over screens, and just seems to welcome getting caught up in them. His on the ball defensive effort is only there about 20% of the time. It's actually embarrassing, but I don't see him caring to improve this part of his game. How many points is he giving up with bad defense and turnovers? How would the game be different if he was just average?
6. Ayton's lack of aggression at the beginning of the game gave Jones, Looney and anyone else confidence to just attack the rim. Now, we saw it change as the game went on, but the beginning of the game just doomed the Suns. I really think he could have had a 30, 20, 5 game if he played pissed off or with a chip on the shoulder and determination to dominate the entire game. There is no days off in the West, or really in the NBA. It's not like he's going against ASU every other night.
7. If the Suns fix 3 simple things that are in their control, these games would be much much tougher for the opposition: 1) get a pg; 2) Booker cuts down his turnovers and improves on defense 3) Ayton plays with a purpose throughout the game. That's a 15-20 point difference in the game, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

I haven't watched this game yet (I can't be up until 1am this week), but if his defense was anything like it was the first two games I am right there with you. It's like he isn't even trying. You can't call yourself a leader on the team if you play defense like that.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 am
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
I did NOT expect him to shoot 57% from 3.
I still don’t. Small sample size.

Running the numbers: if each shot has a 1/3 of going in, the probability of making eight or more out of 14 is 5.76%. So it’s not enough makes to say with confidence that he’s actually better than a 33.3% shooter. The 95% confidence interval is about 2-9 makes out of 14.
Last edited by Cap on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:22 am
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
I did NOT expect him to shoot 57% from 3.
I still don’t. Small sample size.
Agreed. But he has already made 8 threes this season. It took 28 games last year for him to make 8 threes. And it took him 43 attempts. You can also just see that his shot looks better.