2023 Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: 2023 Free Agency Thread

Post by Shabazz »

I’d rather Elie Okobo. I think he could play in the NBA.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t want James, but I do really want Yuta

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:54 am
He's been playing really well in France, and was a key part of the Monaco team that beat Wemby's team for the French championship. I agree, he's at least worth a look.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mike James is only being considered because he's close with KD.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:27 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:04 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:25 am
I kind of liked what Lee brought. Smaller, quicker, shifty guard who could get into the lane. I wouldn't want to have to rely on him for a major role but as a 13-15th guy we could do worse. I still think we need another legit backup PG/ballhandler. Not sure I feel comfortable with Payne as the only true PG on the roster as of now.

Jock's a no brainer. Hope we can re-sign him to a reasonable deal.
I feel like Jordan Goodwin is as much of a PG as Payne.
Payne's started at point and played for us and has playoff experience. I wouldn't want to trust a 23 yr old combo guard with that kind of responsibility. We know Book, Beal and KD will be sharing ballhandling duties, but we still need a true ballhandler with some actual experience to run things at times and/or lead a 2nd unit.
I'm so ready to move on from Payne, I've just never been sold on the guy. He had one decent year but has really regressed over the past couple of seasons and is just erratic at times. He's been here long enough now to stamp his authority as the backup PG but he remains unconvincing. There must be better options available in free agency.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:48 am
ShelC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I kind of liked what Lee brought. Smaller, quicker, shifty guard who could get into the lane. I wouldn't want to have to rely on him for a major role but as a 13-15th guy we could do worse. I still think we need another legit backup PG/ballhandler. Not sure I feel comfortable with Payne as the only true PG on the roster as of now.

Payne's started at point and played for us and has playoff experience. I wouldn't want to trust a 23 yr old combo guard with that kind of responsibility. We know Book, Beal and KD will be sharing ballhandling duties, but we still need a true ballhandler with some actual experience to run things at times and/or lead a 2nd unit.
I'm so ready to move on from Payne, I've just never been sold on the guy. He had one decent year but has really regressed over the past couple of seasons and is just erratic at times. He's been here long enough now to stamp his authority as the backup PG but he remains unconvincing. There must be better options available in free agency.
Agreed on every word. BUT... those better options are not available on free agency FOR PHOENIX, given they would have to come here making the minimum. So if we fix it at "There must be better options available at minimum salary, wanting to come to Phoenix" then is easier to understand why Payne is still here...

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

SunsSince92 wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Strangely, his one decent year corresponded with a high post center with passing skills.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:53 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Agreed on every word. BUT... those better options are not available on free agency FOR PHOENIX, given they would have to come here making the minimum. So if we fix it at "There must be better options available at minimum salary, wanting to come to Phoenix" then is easier to understand why Payne is still here...
Agreed.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:53 am
SunsSince92 wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Strangely, his one decent year corresponded with a high post center with passing skills.
Who just so happens to be a free agent. I wouldn't be averse to bringing a healthy Saric back irrespective of his impact on Payne's numbers. If he can help Cam get back to playing at a decent level then all the better.

carey

Post by carey »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:17 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:54 am
He's been playing really well in France, and was a key part of the Monaco team that beat Wemby's team for the French championship. I agree, he's at least worth a look.
Nico Mannion looks like a totally different player too in some of the videos I've watched.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Healthy Saric at the minimum might be more useful that Baizley. A poor's man Kevin Love, that actually wants to be here. And I'm not so sure anymore how big is the gap between those two nowadays.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Also have to consider we have a different coach and a different system this season so what worked 2-3 years ago might not work under Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:24 am
Not sure how much stock to put into these reports. I am concerned about becoming Nets-lite, but maybe the Nets had a decent roster had their Big 3 worked out. Mike James seems like too much of a chucker tho from what we've seen of him.

You gotta be fucking kidding me

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:29 am
ShelC wrote:
Not sure how much stock to put into these reports. I am concerned about becoming Nets-lite, but maybe the Nets had a decent roster had their Big 3 worked out. Mike James seems like too much of a chucker tho from what we've seen of him.

Yes to Watanabe, but I really don't want James back!

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:12 am
Also have to consider we have a different coach and a different system this season so what worked 2-3 years ago might not work under Vogel.
Fair point.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Mike James sucks. This has to be because he's friends with Durant.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:29 am
ShelC wrote:

Oubre and PJ Tucker are supposed targets as well.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

One of those guys that tantalizes and then disappoints. Maybe worth a flier.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Realistic names in here with my comments:

Garry Harris (I'd smash)
Ingles (pass)
Yuta (yes)
Josh Richardson (sure)
Jalen McDaniels (Hell yes. would be a top target. Think he'll get more than the minimum)
Danny Green (pass. Can't risk the washed possilibity)
Barton (pass. See "Danny Green")
Winslow (pass. Need availability and shooting)
Justin Holiday (hard pass. definitely washed)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jalen would be awesome…if Oubre would signs for the minimum I’d gladly take him too(sorry sauce)…not sure he’s on the best terms with Booker though. He did play with Beal in Washington