2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by ShelC »

Acquiring assets works when the assets are good and have value to others. Philly can talk to the Spurs about Kawhi because they have Fultz, Covington, Saric, etc. Boston can talk to the Spurs because they have Tatum, Brown, Rozier, etc. We have maybe Josh Jackson as an asset. Brandon Knight, whose contract was supposed to a steal with the new CBA, has no value. Chandler has no value. Chriss, Bender and Warren have no value.

Antilles

Post by Antilles »

Warren has „some“ value. He is a 20 ppg player, unfortunately he‘s lacking a reliable 3.
So he has value, which most likely is overestimated by us - the fans.

Chriss and Bender...we‘ll see.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Antilles wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:20 am
Warren has „some“ value. He is a 20 ppg player, unfortunately he‘s lacking a reliable 3.
He’s also one of the worst defenders in the league among players who avg as many mins as him.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 am
Brandon Knight, whose contract was supposed to a steal with the new CBA, has no value.
Did anyone think Knight’s contract would actually end up a steal even later on?

I think most people who were even optimistic about him thought at best it would be an average deal and that’s it.

I don’t even think McD thought it would end up a good contract but he had to offer and get Knight to re-sign without going through another stand off like he did with Bledsoe the previous summer. And he couldn’t let Knight walk in FA after trading the LAL pick and after he was singing Knight’s praises while bashing Dragic and claiming how Knight and Bledsoe were so much better than Dragic.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"He’s also one of the worst defenders in the league among players who avg as many mins as him."

So is Devin Booker, and the Suns just gave him a max contract ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:22 am
"He’s also one of the worst defenders in the league among players who avg as many mins as him."

Funny how you didn’t quote me because you knew your post would look foolish if used in context with what I was responding to.

Warren can’t shoot nor defend.

Booker can do one of the those two things and also do it at an elite level. That’s the difference.

Booker can also do this thing called dribble a ball and create his own shot...

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Warren is a career 50% shooter from the field.
So he can shoot.

Cap

Post by Cap »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 am
So he can shoot.
By that logic, DeAndre Jordan is the greatest shooter in the league.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:39 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 am
So he can shoot.
By that logic, DeAndre Jordan is the greatest shooter in the league.
C'mon, Cap.
Jordan does his primarily on dunks on putbacks.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Trading for Kawhi now would be a big mistake. So I’m glad we don’t have the assets. It makes sense for Boston and Philly as they’re both a couple of years ahead of us. Let’s not fool ourselves. Our hopes rely solely on booker, Jackson and Ayton all panning out and becoming all-stars. That happens and it’s easy to build around them. The best asset to have is an all-star that is happy with the team and can attract other all stars. If Kawhi was interested in staying here, we do have the assets to make that trade. We just don’t have that anchor to make him want to stay yet.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 am
LazarusLong wrote:

Funny how you didn’t quote me because you knew your post would look foolish if used in context with what I was responding to.

Booker can do one of the those two things and also do it at an elite level. That’s the difference.

Warren can shoot. Warren can't hit the 3 at a reliable clip. He's money from 17ft and in, he's a throwback, his game is mid range and in.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was just using Kawhi as an example of a star who's available. And the logic the past few years, as per McD, has been to acquire assets (which he supposedly learned in Boston) to trade for a star. Didn't happen with KLove, he wouldn't make the deal for Kyrie. So now our young talent with potential is now 3 years in and they look awful.

When we signed Knight to the max deal, part of the reasoning was when the new CBA kicks in, 14/mil a year for a borderline all-star would be a steal.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Knight, Bender, Chriss, Chandler, Dudley have no trade value. None.

Going into the season with Knight, Okobo, and Harrison will get us a top 3 pick next year as well. Not really wanting to sit through another one of those type seasons. I'm not hating on Okobo. I think he could be a steal but the odds of him being a difference maker this year are very slim.

The FA market was slim and I knew that going into all this so I can't say I'm surprised that all we got was Ariza. We needed another veteran presence so we went out and overpayed for one. Just one season though so whatever.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:55 am
Antilles wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:20 am
He’s also one of the worst defenders in the league among players who avg as many mins as him.
Defensive metrics are so unreliable, especially on a bad team.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

UglyTruth wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 am
LazarusLong wrote:

Warren can't shoot? Since when? He is a 50% shooter. He can't/doesn't shoot the three, but other than that, he is an excellent shooter. Your evaluations tend to inaccurate extremes.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shooting and scoring are two different things. Warren's a great scorer, not a great shooter. 68% from 0-3 ft. 41.5% from 3-10 ft. 42.5% from 10-16 ft. 39.3% from 16ft to 3pt. 22% from 3pt.

He's also never played more than 70 games for us.

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:38 am
Shooting and scoring are two different things. Warren's a great scorer, not a great shooter. 68% from 0-3 ft. 41.5% from 3-10 ft. 42.5% from 10-16 ft. 39.3% from 16ft to 3pt. 22% from 3pt.

He's also never played more than 70 games for us.
Thats a really nice distinction I haven't considered before. Does that mean Bender is the Yin to Warren's yang, because I would describe Bender as a shooter who doesn't score.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Those shooting numbers everywhere but 3pt range are good

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TJ seems to always smack his dome and miss weeks a time with a head injury. His lack of consistent health this early bothers me.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:52 am
TJ seems to always smack his dome and miss weeks a time with a head injury. His lack of consistent health this early bothers me.
I believe this has prevented him to reach his potential. So far. The guy has had to get his basic stuff back a lot of times and actually lost his rookie season (partly because Hornacek). He can do better on the boards and become smarter and more focused on defense, but he is not unplayable for a 20ppg scorer. There is no mechanical reason as to why his 3pt shooting couldn't become average in spot up/catch and shoot situations. He can perfectly make those shots inside the arc.