Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Mori Chu »

They actually pay these guys to go on national TV and just spout nonsense that they made up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really sucks for Bagley, just hasn't been able to stay on the floor.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That sucks for Bagley. What a career curse it is to get stuck drafted by the Kings.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

NBPA members say they see little benefit to allowing a new class of teenagers to come in and take roster spots from veterans. And NBA executives are openly dreading the idea of returning to high school gyms and being forced to make career-altering decisions with limited information at their disposal. Sources say the union is indicating that in order to give Adam Silver -- who is the clear-cut driving force behind the elimination of the age limit -- what he desires in collective bargaining agreement negotiations in 2024, they expect to receive major financial concessions from team owners in exchange for this bargaining chip, something that may not be attractive to franchises since many believe that making the league even younger will water down the talent level.
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/inside ... eally-good

I wish Silver would just listen to the NBPA AND the teams on this one. Ugh.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well ultimately it’s up to them, so I think we won’t see it change. There really just is no benefit to the players or the owners to allow high schoolers back. With the multitude of options available to high-school athletes to get paid now(overseas, g league, overtime elite, NLI college deals), I don’t even think it’s that big of a deal. I was once in favor of allowing high schoolers in, and I still agree on principle, but now I’m perfectly happy with the current set up.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I too am happy with the current situation in the NBA, except that I dislike the "one and done" NCAA product that has currently become the norm. I really wish I could watch these guys for 2-3 years in the NCAA to get to know them better, bond with college teams more, etc. And I wish teams and their scouts could watch the guys play in college to better know whom to draft, let the players get better and more NBA-ready before they come in, and make it less risky to make a draft pick. Not sure there's any real fix for these issues, though. You can't force guys to stay in college 2-3 years if they don't want to.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:59 am
I too am happy with the current situation in the NBA, except that I dislike the "one and done" NCAA product that has currently become the norm. I really wish I could watch these guys for 2-3 years in the NCAA to get to know them better, bond with college teams more, etc. And I wish teams and their scouts could watch the guys play in college to better know whom to draft, let the players get better and more NBA-ready before they come in, and make it less risky to make a draft pick. Not sure there's any real fix for these issues, though. You can't force guys to stay in college 2-3 years if they don't want to.
You don’t have to, G League has become a real path into the NBA, above playing overseas, if they really need to get paid for hooping, they can take their talent to G League, where all that you said about scouting and getting NBA- ready game and body would be as good or better than college.

I would say specially NBA-ready bodies would be the gain, as many of this teenage wonders have the raw talent but lacks a body than can resist in game and in season demands.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Subjecting kids to an additional year of college and their rules around practice time would be the worst possible thing for their development.

You could make kids go for 4 years and drafting still wouldn't be an exact science.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Subjecting kids to an additional year of college and their rules around practice time (and worse coaches, resources, etc) would be the worst possible thing for their development.

You could make kids go for 4 years and drafting still wouldn't be an exact science.

(Double post - sorry)
Last edited by Shabazz on Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Why should these adults get less rights than other adults? Just so the current NBA veterans can make more money? Or so the NCAA can keep making billions off of them? If a team wants to use their draft pick and their money to pay them, why should someone else say they can't?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:57 am
Why should these adults get less rights than other adults? Just so the current NBA veterans can make more money? Or so the NCAA can keep making billions off of them? If a team wants to use their draft pick and their money to pay them, why should someone else say they can't?
I don’t think those are the right questions to ask. What is the incentive for the owners or current players to change the rule? There is none. The owners want guaranteed access to medical records of all draftees and to compel them to attend the combine. The player agents aren’t going to like that and the players will be on the side of their agents. Plus, there’s no incentive for current players to want high schoolers in the nba. It ultimately takes a few roster spots a year away from vets.

You are taking the Silver stance, which I agree with, I think the players should have the right to enter the draft when they want, but it’s not going to happen without incentivizing the parties that control the situation.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:29 am
Indy wrote:
I don’t think those are the right questions to ask. What is the incentive for the owners or current players to change the rule? There is none. The owners want guaranteed access to medical records of all draftees and to compel them to attend the combine. The player agents aren’t going to like that and the players will be on the side of their agents. Plus, there’s no incentive for current players to want high schoolers in the nba. It ultimately takes a few roster spots a year away from vets.

You are taking the Silver stance, which I agree with, I think the players should have the right to enter the draft when they want, but it’s not going to happen without incentivizing the parties that control the situation.
The incentive to the owners is that when the next LeBron James comes along, you get him, and all of the marketing benefits that come with a player of his caliber, in your league a year earlier.

As an owner, I'd rather have Wemby in the league this year than say, someone like Quinn Cook or Abdel Nader, who may get bumped out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Fair, that’s a good point. But the drawback is they have to send scouts to highschool gyms and draft players with less information. They don’t seem to think the payoff is worth it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:46 am
Fair, that’s a good point. But the drawback is they have to send scouts to highschool gyms and draft players with less information. They don’t seem to think the payoff is worth it.
They don't, though. Everyone knew about James well before he was in high school. Those types of talents are rare, but they get noticed VERY early.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:

I think "why are you taking away the rights of a certain group of people" is always the right question to ask. I am not worried about protecting billionaire owners from making a stupid draft selection to the point where we should be forcing these adults to go let the NCAA exploit them. If you have a marketable skill and you are a consenting adult, you should be able to market that skill.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
They don’t have to. I heard about this one team that doesn’t even scout college players. They just watch YouTube videos.

The “scouting high school gyms” thing is overblown. In any year there are probably 4-6 high school players who could conceivably make the jump. I don’t see how going to watch them play at Sierra Canyon is any worse than sending your scouts to Central Tennessee Tech. Plus, any respectable front office starts keeping tabs on these players in their database when they’re as young as 13. You’re just giving them permission to meet in person a year earlier.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:52 am
Split T wrote:
They don't, though. Everyone knew about James well before he was in high school. Those types of talents are rare, but they get noticed VERY early.
It’s not about the LeBrons, it’s about the Ndudi Ebis of the world.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:54 am
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:

I think "why are you taking away the rights of a certain group of people" is always the right question to ask. I am not worried about protecting billionaire owners from making a stupid draft selection to the point where we should be forcing these adults to go let the NCAA exploit them. If you have a marketable skill and you are a consenting adult, you should be able to market that skill.
Right, we agree on this point, but we have no say. You have to convince the people that have a say.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:11 pm
Split T wrote:
They don’t have to. I heard about this one team that doesn’t even scout college players. They just watch YouTube videos.

The “scouting high school gyms” thing is overblown. In any year there are probably 4-6 high school players who could conceivably make the jump. I don’t see how going to watch them play at Sierra Canyon is any worse than sending your scouts to Central Tennessee Tech. Plus, any respectable front office starts keeping tabs on these players in their database when they’re as young as 13. You’re just giving them permission to meet in person a year earlier.
I’m just stating the reason given in the original article. It said the scouts didn’t look forward to having to go back to high school gyms.