Game Day: Suns (18-39) @ Bulls (28-29), Fri 2/24/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Game Day: Suns (18-39) @ Bulls (28-29), Fri 2/24/17

Post by TOO »

Alex Len is totally one of those guys that the Spurs sign and he ends up 15/11/2 for the next 8 years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Alex Len is totally one of those guys that the Spurs sign and he ends up 15/11/2 for the next 8 years.
Yep. You just know if we don't sign him he'll blow up for another team.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Alex Len is totally one of those guys that the Spurs sign and he ends up 15/11/2 for the next 8 years.
Really the only team I can see developing him is San Antonio. They get production from bums like Boban and Tiago Splitter.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Really the only team I can see developing him is San Antonio. They get production from bums like Boban and Tiago Splitter.
I could see other teams. Teams like Dallas or Atlanta.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

You can't operate a team in fear of what other teams will do with your old players. It leads to keeping players like Goodwin too long. I'm in favor of letting Len walk instead of paying him and moving on from Chandler. I know, it seems silly to be center-less after having 2 decent centers when we went so long without even 1 decent one. It's just neither seem to be the answer for us and if we're building a team the right way we need to find the right fit.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:You can't operate a team in fear of what other teams will do with your old players. It leads to keeping players like Goodwin too long. I'm in favor of letting Len walk instead of paying him and moving on from Chandler. I know, it seems silly to be center-less after having 2 decent centers when we went so long without even 1 decent one. It's just neither seem to be the answer for us and if we're building a team the right way we need to find the right fit.
I would keep Chandler until he retires, and I would keep Len until we have a better option. I don't want to trade our rebounders just because we wish they were good scorers, too.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

O_Gardino wrote:I would keep Chandler until he retires, and I would keep Len until we have a better option. I don't want to trade our rebounders just because we wish they were good scorers, too.
I think the issue is that he wants to be paid like he's a good rebounder and a good scorer.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I would keep Chandler until he retires, and I would keep Len until we have a better option. I don't want to trade our rebounders just because we wish they were good scorers, too.
I think the issue is that he wants to be paid like he's a good rebounder and a good scorer.
I haven't seen any reliable numbers on that. People here assume he is going to hold out for a huge paycheck and hold that against him. But it's really just an assumption.

I'd be happy to replace Len, but not without another option.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:
I think he just wants to get paid as much as he can get paid. Of course, that is what every NBA player wants when hitting free agency.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm still optimistic that we can get him at a relatively reasonable salary. The definition of "reasonable" varies, of course, but I would pay him $10m+ a year.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

2 years, 14 million. If he wants more, keep walkin

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:2 years, 14 million. If he wants more, keep walkin
I guess the question is, can you replace him with similar production for that price.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

This guy cannot beat out Alan Williams and we are worried that we might not be able sign him.

Why?
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:This guy cannot beat out Alan Williams and we are worried that we might not be able sign him.

Why?
I am not sure anyone is worried we couldn't sign him. The question is about how much his replacement will cost (any potential upside/downside of a different players) versus what Len will get.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
I guess the question is, can you replace him with similar production for that price.
The only players you're getting at that price now are players on rookie deals or scrubs. Any bigs worth being in a rotation will get 8 million a year minimum. I'm not against retaining Len, I just think it's going to cost way more than I think he's worth. I'd let him walk, resign Williams to be the backup 5 and look for our Center of the future elsewhere. Perhaps Bender down the road if he can fill out, or maybe through the draft(probably not this year unless it's a 2nd round gem)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
The only players you're getting at that price now are players on rookie deals or scrubs. Any bigs worth being in a rotation will get 8 million a year minimum. I'm not against retaining Len, I just think it's going to cost way more than I think he's worth. I'd let him walk and look for our Center of the future elsewhere. Perhaps Bender down the road if he can fill out, or maybe through the draft(probably not this year unless it's a 2nd round gem)
That is where I am too. I don't see him being worth Brandon Knight money, but I also don't know who we can get at 8M/year or less to replace him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

A lot of good teams just don't have a traditional center right now. Or they have one but don't play him much. Or they have three they rotate through.

I don't mind seeing Len go, I just don't want to see us go small with Chriss and Warren only to discover that we need rebounding.

For what it's worth, here are the best defensive rebounders in the NBA who play 15 minutes or more:

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:A lot of good teams just don't have a traditional center right now. Or they have one but don't play him much. Or they have three they rotate through.

I don't mind seeing Len go, I just don't want to see us go small with Chriss and Warren only to discover that we need rebounding.

For what it's worth, here are the best defensive rebounders in the NBA who play 15 minutes or more:
What, you can't cross-ref that for us with a list of those coming into FA status, or ones that are not good fits on their current team?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:A lot of good teams just don't have a traditional center right now. Or they have one but don't play him much. Or they have three they rotate through.

What, you can't cross-ref that for us with a list of those coming into FA status, or ones that are not good fits on their current team?
The highest rated FA on that list is.......Alex Len

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:

I assumed Carey had already done that. ;)

I think it's interesting how many of those guys don't play for good teams. Rebounding by committee may be the best approach, I just don't trust our rebounding committee.