2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by specialsauce »

24/13.4/2.4 blocks per 40’on 61/32/75

20.5/10.5/5.8 on 52/42/79.

The difference is one of them has actually been able to put up those stats and play those minutes. The other is all hypothetical

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I get that Ayton is a waaaaay better freshman than JJJ. I just don't put a premium on Ayton's skillset at the NBA level.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:I get that Ayton is a waaaaay better freshman than JJJ. I just don't put a premium on Ayton's skillset at the NBA level.
I get it.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

specialsauce wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:I get that Ayton is a waaaaay better freshman than JJJ. I just don't put a premium on Ayton's skillset at the NBA level.
I get it.
I don't get the reservation. There is nothing non-nba about his body or athleticism. He has speed, a vast array of post moves, he shoots well out to the 3 point line, he rebounds at a good rate and that will translate. He also blocks shots at a good rate, not a Mo Bamba rate, but for Bamba that is nearly his whole game. The only knock on Ayton is his lack of motivating on D at times.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I get it.
I don't get the reservation. There is nothing non-nba about his body or athleticism. He has speed, a vast array of post moves, he shoots well out to the 3 point line, he rebounds at a good rate and that will translate. He also blocks shots at a good rate, not a Mo Bamba rate, but for Bamba that is nearly his whole game. The only knock on Ayton is his lack of motivating on D at times.
I don’t agree with him, but I know what he is saying. I assume he sees him as a Dwight Howard type and JJJ more like a soft big man that runs the floor, when in reality he is so much more fit for this game today than Dwight Howard.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I get it.
I don't think he's trash, I'm just not a believer.

He seems to me like any one of the dozens of centers taken high in the draft based on college achievements and physical measurements who turn out to be ok nba players. The best things about him are his size and post play, and the worst things are his IQ and competitiveness? Plus, he just looks older than his listed age. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 3 or 4 years older than listed.

The vast majority of his scoring comes from lobs and putbacks. Both of those are nice skills, but you can't build a team around them.

Good post skills. Nobody plays through the post anymore.

His shot is ok when he has lots of time to shoot it, but I just don't feel like it will translate well to the NBA. NBA closeouts are brutal compared to the college game.

Can he pass to cutters or out of a hard double team? Yeah, I think he can pass, but I don't think he's a transcendent passer.

His rebounding is excellent, and I think he will continue to be a very good rebounder.

His defensive mobility is excellent.

His motivation is questionable. He gets a lot of easy(for him) stuff in college. Does he have enough fight in him to really dominate the NBA? I think he's too nonchalant.

His HoopsIQ is... I don't want to say it's in question, because I haven't seen him screw up a complicated play. But I also haven't seen him improvise too much to make good plays. He stays in his lane and just does the simple thing. That can be a good quality in a role player.

At best, I think he's Tyson Chandler with a bit of a jumper - pretty nice, eh? At worst, I think he's Greg Oden.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If only Oden would have stayed healthy.

I like Ayton. I think he will be at worst an even better skilled Adams. And I remember when he played a little for Team Bibby back in the day, so I'm sure his age is legit.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by 3rdside »

O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I get it.

He seems to me like any one of the dozens of centers taken high in the draft based on college achievements and physical measurements who turn out to be ok nba players. The best things about him are his size and post play, and the worst things are his IQ and competitiveness? Plus, he just looks older than his listed age. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 3 or 4 years older than listed.

The vast majority of his scoring comes from lobs and putbacks. Both of those are nice skills, but you can't build a team around them.

His shot is ok when he has lots of time to shoot it, but I just don't feel like it will translate well to the NBA. NBA closeouts are brutal compared to the college game.

Can he pass to cutters or out of a hard double team? Yeah, I think he can pass, but I don't think he's a transcendent passer.

His rebounding is excellent, and I think he will continue to be a very good rebounder.

His motivation is questionable. He gets a lot of easy(for him) stuff in college. Does he have enough fight in him to really dominate the NBA? I think he's too nonchalant.

His HoopsIQ is... I don't want to say it's in question, because I haven't seen him screw up a complicated play. But I also haven't seen him improvise too much to make good plays. He stays in his lane and just does the simple thing. That can be a good quality in a role player.

At best, I think he's Tyson Chandler with a bit of a jumper - pretty nice, eh? At worst, I think he's Greg Oden.
Respect right there - my same initial reservations of ayton laid out better than I ever would have expressed them before i fell into line with popular opinion.

Looked old and I was tempted to write he possibly looks like an injury waiting to happen, with absolutely nothing to back that up other than to say the dude looks top heavy with skinny legs (although he leg presses 900lbs fwiw).

And the attitude concerns are valid - he wants to go number one, which is a positive, but everything else like you say suggests he’s a cruiser. Doncic with Petrovic drive would arguably be more appealing:

http://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/22 ... legacy-nba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

3rdside wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I get it.

Respect right there - my same initial reservations of ayton laid out better than I ever would have expressed them before i fell into line with popular opinion.

Looked old and I was tempted to write he possibly looks like an injury waiting to happen, with absolutely nothing to back that up other than to say the dude looks top heavy with skinny legs (although he leg presses 900lbs fwiw).

And the attitude concerns are valid - he wants to go number one, which is a positive, but everything else like you say suggests he’s a cruiser. Doncic with Petrovic drive would arguably be more appealing:

Actually, leg pressing 900 lbs would concern me. I leg press 900 lbs and I am 5-8 and in my 50's. My son leg pressed 1200 lbs in high school.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

3rdside wrote: Respect right there - my same initial reservations of ayton laid out better than I ever would have expressed them before i fell into line with popular opinion.

Thanks for the link. That was a fun read.

TBH, I only have Ayton at #4 out of respect for popular opinion. A lot of smart people like him, so maybe I'm just wrong. But I would be happier with many of the guys slotted later.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

JCSunsfan wrote:
3rdside wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I get it.

Actually, leg pressing 900 lbs would concern me. I leg press 900 lbs and I am 5-8 and in my 50's. My son leg pressed 1200 lbs in high school.
Shows how frequently I leg press, and how little I understand a basketball athletes weights regimen, off season or otherwise, but:

- 900lbs is still a lot?
- these guys are more fast twitch than bulk guys so maybe that’s why they don’t max out deliberately?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

O_Gardino wrote:
3rdside wrote: Respect right there - my same initial reservations of ayton laid out better than I ever would have expressed them before i fell into line with popular opinion.

Thanks for the link. That was a fun read.

TBH, I only have Ayton at #4 out of respect for popular opinion. A lot of smart people like him, so maybe I'm just wrong. But I would be happier with many of the guys slotted later.
Assuming he isn’t 24 then the article below, which I’ve just seen, just about confirms it for me - strength, mobility and work ethic, if you believe it, and I love this quote:

"I'd been in the weight room before, but I never touched nothing. If I look at it, I'm like, 'Dwight Howard can't shoot.' I didn't want to be stiff like him."

http://www.espn.co.uk/mens-college-bask ... big-things

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
3rdside wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I get it.

#HumbleBrag
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Detroit beat the Bucks, and Altanta lost last night.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You mean Atlanta won last night

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Yes. That is what I mean.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Right now we own the #15 and #16 picks. Assuming this doesn't change, how high do you think we can trade up? I'd love to grab say the #8.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Who would you take at 8?

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:Who would you take at 8?
Assuming no one in the top 7 drops (Ayton, Doncic, JJJ, Bagley, Porter, Carter, young) I'd take one of the bridges. Probably Mikal

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I LOVE Mikal, but I'm not sure I would trade up for a guy to play behind my 2 best guys. I'd be tempted, though.