2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: 2018 NBA Playoffs, First Round

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hermen wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:It's possible, but Philly has the best two players. Philly is playing pretty poorly right now and are still within 9. If their shots start falling, Philly could steal this game and that would be demoralizing to Miami.

I do like Miami. They've got a lot of nice players. No real stars, but Richardson, Johnson, Winslow, Ellington, olynyk, and of course dragic are all really nice.
They are in an underrated position this summer. They have Bam to replace Whiteside, who they can use to make a move for a different quality player. Wouldn't be surprised if they somehow managed to trade for a star.
I don't think anyone is giving up an asset for Whiteside on his contract. They play hard but really lack shooting. They are at 50% from the line in this game, terrible.
Yeah, the FTs doomed MIA.

About Whiteside, he is a big presence in the paint and a number of teams could use that. The contract is not outrageous (covers his prime) but the attitude is an issue. Sill, to me he is a positive asset; but like I said, pawnable.

Bucktastic365

Post by Bucktastic365 »

Count me as someone who completely dismissed Aminu as a bust instantly, but he’s turned himself into a player. He’s carrying the Blazers right now. Now he’s a player I’d covet in our new era; not as a starter, but a bench energizer.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Pelicans the first team into round 2 as they finish off the sweep!

47/11/3 for AD
41/8 for Jrue

Warriors/Pels is gonna be fun!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Good to see the Wolves making a game of it. They can't lose this game and hope to have any chance in the series. They shouldn't get swept; they have too much talent.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:This Cavs team is garbage. Not sure they win 20 games w/o LeBron.
The Lebron haters are out of their minds. He’s all on his own out there, there’s just no way for him to win with this roster. It’s a miracle this game is close.
LeBron the player is fantastic. Unfortunately he comes in a package with LeBron the GM, who is very much responsible for who he plays with.
I agree with Hermen. LeBron the coach isn't a great leader, either.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:The big debate now is whether this is LeBron's worst team/supporting cast. I don't think it is by a longshot. The 06-07 team was trash. This team has Kevin Love, Jordan Clarkson, Rodney Hood, George Hill, Kyle Korver, even Larry Nance Jr and Jeff Green. Maybe some of those guys don't have playoff experience, but the talent is there. I asked last year and I'll ask again: How long can Tyronne Lue get a pass? I get he's in a near impossible situation having to coach LeBron and maybe that's why people won't criticize him. Maybe he's a likable guy so people go easy on him. But they run next to no offense and their defense is trash, yet coaching is never brought up with the Cavs.
This is essentially the same team that won the championship a couple of years ago minus Kyrie, and everyone says how much stronger they got at the deadline. Absolutely one of the worst coached and least prepared teams in the playoffs. Reminds me of the rockets before Mike D got there.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Split T wrote:Pelicans the first team into round 2 as they finish off the sweep!

47/11/3 for AD
41/8 for Jrue

I think Warriors will win in 5.

Klay will put the clamps on Jrue.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:This Cavs team is garbage. Not sure they win 20 games w/o LeBron.
The Lebron haters are out of their minds. He’s all on his own out there, there’s just no way for him to win with this roster. It’s a miracle this game is close.
LeBron the player is fantastic. Unfortunately he comes in a package with LeBron the GM, who is very much responsible for who he plays with.

I would agree with this, if in fact it is lebron pulling the strings with personnel decisions

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
ShelC wrote:The big debate now is whether this is LeBron's worst team/supporting cast. I don't think it is by a longshot. The 06-07 team was trash. This team has Kevin Love, Jordan Clarkson, Rodney Hood, George Hill, Kyle Korver, even Larry Nance Jr and Jeff Green. Maybe some of those guys don't have playoff experience, but the talent is there. I asked last year and I'll ask again: How long can Tyronne Lue get a pass? I get he's in a near impossible situation having to coach LeBron and maybe that's why people won't criticize him. Maybe he's a likable guy so people go easy on him. But they run next to no offense and their defense is trash, yet coaching is never brought up with the Cavs.
This is essentially the same team that won the championship a couple of years ago minus Kyrie, and everyone says how much stronger they got at the deadline. Absolutely one of the worst coached and least prepared teams in the playoffs. Reminds me of the rockets before Mike D got there.
Lol. Seriously dude?

Love
Lebron
JR

Those are the only players from that roster that got time last night.

You’re really off on this one, sorry.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Today's games have been really fun. Utah is way up on OKC in the 4th quarter. Rubio is 1 assist away from a triple-double. Really wish we had acquired him. :-)

Split T

Post by Split T »

UglyTruth wrote:
Split T wrote:Pelicans the first team into round 2 as they finish off the sweep!

47/11/3 for AD
41/8 for Jrue

I think Warriors will win in 5.

Klay will put the clamps on Jrue.
Klay is overrated as a defender. He's good, not a lockdown guy. Jrue obviously won't have it as easy as going up against Dame and CJ, but he's not getting shutdown by Klay. The warriors will probably win, it might be in 5, but I'll say 6. If Curry isn't healthy, they are vulnerable.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Its amazing how good Utah is with Gobert around, 31-9 now I think since he's returned.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

specialsauce wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Hermen wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I would agree with this, if in fact it is lebron pulling the strings with personnel decisions
I don't know if he picks who they bring in, but he definitely pressures the Cavs into making short term moves all the time. It worked at the start when Cavs were full of assets and they won the ring, which is all they wanted. But short term moves only work for a short while :-) Gilbert did hold firm with the Brooklyn pick though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:It's possible, but Philly has the best two players. Philly is playing pretty poorly right now and are still within 9. If their shots start falling, Philly could steal this game and that would be demoralizing to Miami.

I do like Miami. They've got a lot of nice players. No real stars, but Richardson, Johnson, Winslow, Ellington, olynyk, and of course dragic are all really nice.
They are in an underrated position this summer. They have Bam to replace Whiteside, who they can use to make a move for a different quality player. Wouldn't be surprised if they somehow managed to trade for a star.
I don't think anyone is giving up an asset for Whiteside on his contract. They play hard but really lack shooting. They are at 50% from the line in this game, terrible.
Yeah, the FTs doomed MIA.

About Whiteside, he is a big presence in the paint and a number of teams could use that. The contract is not outrageous (covers his prime) but the attitude is an issue. Sill, to me he is a positive asset; but like I said, pawnable.
He seems to have some of what Chriss has shown.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

47/11/3 for AD
41/8 for Jrue

I love playoff Rondo. He averaged 11 points and 13 assists for the series while playing with another PG in Holiday most of the game.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I tend to agree with others who say that the Pels will struggle much more against the Warriors. Golden State has a much, much better perimeter defense and won't allow Jrue Holiday and Rajon Rondo to carve them up. It'll be hard for the Warriors (or any team) to stop Davis, but he won't get as good of looks in the next series, and he can't stop beat them by himself. Even if the Warriors are without Curry, I still don't see it going more than 5 games.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Also, I am loving watching the Jazz. I think they are my favorite postseason team, narrowly edging out Philly. Love both of these young squads. Mitchell is the man, Rubio has found a renaissance in the prime of his career on a new team, Ingles is a sharpshooting tough mofo who brings a ton of emotion (their "Draymond"), and Gobert is just nasty on defense under the basket. Great overall collection of talented players who complement each other. They probably don't have quite enough shooting or experience to be true contenders, but it's impressive what they are doing to OKC. The Jazz play the right way and they built their team with care. I wonder what they'd be like if Gordon Hayward had stayed there (and not injured himself)?

Man, I'll be really curious to see a Rockets/Jazz series. I think Houston will wreck Utah because they're just such talented shooters. I don't think Utah can score enough points to keep up. But it'll be fascinating to watch.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I was enjoying Philly earlier in the year until Ben Simmons got on this fake tough guy like Blake Griffin trip he's been on. Ugh, obnoxious.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Also, I am loving watching the Jazz. I think they are my favorite postseason team, narrowly edging out Philly. Love both of these young squads. Mitchell is the man, Rubio has found a renaissance in the prime of his career on a new team, Ingles is a sharpshooting tough mofo who brings a ton of emotion (their "Draymond"), and Gobert is just nasty on defense under the basket. Great overall collection of talented players who complement each other. They probably don't have quite enough shooting or experience to be true contenders, but it's impressive what they are doing to OKC. The Jazz play the right way and they built their team with care. I wonder what they'd be like if Gordon Hayward had stayed there (and not injured himself)?

Man, I'll be really curious to see a Rockets/Jazz series. I think Houston will wreck Utah because they're just such talented shooters. I don't think Utah can score enough points to keep up. But it'll be fascinating to watch.

Side note: As someone that has lived in Utah, the idea of the Jazz making it further in the playoffs than the Celtics just seems fantastic.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Today's games have been really fun. Utah is way up on OKC in the 4th quarter. Rubio is 1 assist away from a triple-double. Really wish we had acquired him. :-)
Yep - If we had acquired Rubio and add Ayton in this draft we certainly would be at least a playoff contender next year, maybe more.

I think you and I are the only ones that like Rubio. If Koko taught him how to shoot, sign me up.

If we do pick Ayton and add Koko as coach I would at least make an offer to the Jazz. He will be in the last year of his contract next year. The Jazz would probably hang up on us.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!