Game Day: Mavs (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/28/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Mavs (0-0) @ Suns (0-0), Wed 10/28/15

Post by Superbone »

da_suns_fan wrote:"The final was the Suns' worst season-opening loss at home in franchise history"

Horny is a goner.
It was one game. :roll:
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:"The final was the Suns' worst season-opening loss at home in franchise history"

Horny is a goner.
It might take a couple months, but if we are 5-15 after the first quarter, he is. Which is unfortunate. You have to play who you have, and we have invested 140 million on two PGs that aren't PGs. That can't help. I know I will get slammed for this, but I would rather play Price and Booker in our backcourt than #2/#3.
Not by me. I'd have to agree. (Don't you see?)

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:

Horny is a goner.
It might take a couple months, but if we are 5-15 after the first quarter, he is. Which is unfortunate. You have to play who you have, and we have invested 140 million on two PGs that aren't PGs. That can't help. I know I will get slammed for this, but I would rather play Price and Booker in our backcourt than #2/#3.
Price is less of a PG than Bledsoe or Knight. He can't competently run an offense.
I don't agree with that. He looked pretty good running the team in preseason. Out of the three, I think Bledsoe is the worst at running our offense.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Speaking of the coach, if this year starts off anything like last year, he's on the hot seat for sure. But then, what about McDonough? I've thought him savvy... now I'm on the edge.
I am with you there. I was a big supporter of Ryan. I was wrong there. This dedication to a system above all else isn't smart.
If you're smart your system is flexible enough to adapt to different kinds of players.

If you're not smart you run around trying to add third starting PGs or keep playing stretch 4's at center. And we've seen way too much of both of this over the last few years.
Last edited by The Bobster on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Superbone wrote:

Horny is a goner.
It was one game. :roll:
No, this is what we saw last year as well. An offense in which no one's sure who's doing what. A lot of ISO ball, bad three point shooting etc.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Coach Hornacek - Running the offense through Bledsoe and his forays to the hoop will eventually get you unemployed.

I don't know if there's a simpler way to put it.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

You can bet if the Suns play like they did last night in the Nash lovefest Friday night against Portland, the shit will hit the fan. In buckets.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

carey

Post by carey »

It would be a damn shame if this mess were hung around Hornacek's neck. He hasn't been great, but he's far from the big problem right now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:It would be a damn shame if this mess were hung around Hornacek's neck. He hasn't been great, but he's far from the big problem right now.
I agree. I like him as a coach.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
carey wrote:It would be a damn shame if this mess were hung around Hornacek's neck. He hasn't been great, but he's far from the big problem right now.
What exactly do you like about him? He was all in favor of this lame 2 pg system, his offensive sets are bad, his sub rotations are bad, he lets the players walk all over him. He and McD can go elsewhere for all I care.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
Speaking of the coach, if this year starts off anything like last year, he's on the hot seat for sure. But then, what about McDonough? I've thought him savvy... now I'm on the edge.
I am with you there. I was a big supporter of Ryan. I was wrong there. This dedication to a system above all else isn't smart.
I think the thinking was, the league is full of great PGs, and there are very few good SGs. So lets just get two good PGs instead.

He's always been about maximizing value, but it may be that he simply bought high on Knight. He was not exactly impressive before last season.
And bought high on Bledsoe. They may look like good deals in comparison to other contracts given out this year, but in the end, you don't want either as your PG (much less SG) so why pay them to be that?

Hmmm, I really want to fix my roof, so I need a ladder, a hammer, nails and some shingles. Well, I can't find a good hammer, maybe I just need extra nails!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
What exactly do you like about him? He was all in favor of this lame 2 pg system, his offensive sets are bad, his sub rotations are bad, he lets the players walk all over him. He and McD can go elsewhere for all I care.
I think he' s intelligent and he has a good disposition for a coach. Listening to him in interviews he comes across as flexible regarding his system and shows a good understanding of advanced stats. His ATO reputation is maligned on this board, but he's actually pretty go out of timeouts.

The only thing that annoyed me about his rotations last year were that he stuck with Marcus for way too long while we were fighting for a playoff spot and TJ was badly outplaying him.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
I think the thinking was, the league is full of great PGs, and there are very few good SGs. So lets just get two good PGs instead.

He's always been about maximizing value, but it may be that he simply bought high on Knight. He was not exactly impressive before last season.
And bought high on Bledsoe. They may look like good deals in comparison to other contracts given out this year, but in the end, you don't want either as your PG (much less SG) so why pay them to be that?

Hmmm, I really want to fix my roof, so I need a ladder, a hammer, nails and some shingles. Well, I can't find a good hammer, maybe I just need extra nails!
:lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I think he' s intelligent and he has a good disposition for a coach. Listening to him in interviews he comes across as flexible regarding his system and shows a good understanding of advanced stats. His ATO reputation is maligned on this board, but he's actually pretty go out of timeouts.

The only thing that annoyed me about his rotations last year were that he stuck with Marcus for way too long while we were fighting for a playoff spot and TJ was badly outplaying him.
Agreed on that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:Coach Hornacek - Running the offense through Bledsoe and his forays to the hoop will eventually get you unemployed.

I don't know if there's a simpler way to put it.
There isn't. But what are the options?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

We'll see if the same thing happens with Booker. If Horny gives him spot minutes all season like he did with TJ, I'll lose my shit and be the first in line asking for his dismissal.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

"There isn't. But what are the options?"

Well, there you go.
This is fairly much Hornacek and McD's team, now.
No excuses.
Can't blame Babby or Blanks.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I want a starting lineup of Len, Booker, Knight, Warren and Keef.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:I want a starting lineup of Len, Booker, Knight, Warren and Keef.
I am fine with Chandler starting, as long as Len gets lots (and key) minutes. And I still can't decide who is better to start if we are picking between #2 and #3. Both look pretty flawed to me. The rest I agree with for now. We still need to ship out Keef, but hopefully we can get his value up a bit first.

Robot

Post by Robot »

I know many of you are in love with Horny - maybe because he was a former player [ honestly that is the only reason I can justify your argument ] but I think the guy is an incredibly un-interesting coach in every way possible.

The game yesterday was so hard to watch . It's not just Hornacek's fault and can we really blame e the players? I mean - if anything, we can and should blame the front office for assembling a very bizarre team with lots of random pieces that make no sense and STILL no identity what so ever

I have to say that McD / Horny combo has not netted us a very interesting , compelling or forward moving / growing team. It's an extremely bland, haphazard, poorly constructed team concept run by an unimaginative and docile coach who seems clueless about adjustments

So it's not JUST the coach, but the coach sucks. The front office makes terrible decisions that are rooted in some analytical bullshit that isn't paying off and all in all - we are likely fucked for another season of sub-par and GOING NOWEHRE basketball

I would rather be the 76ers or the Wolves - at least they may end up developing talent. We are so sub par it's gross and really hard to watch.

We have a few good young players , yah thats good

However - some of the PLAYS are SO UGLY . How many players blew layups and shots by the basket yesterday in transition? You want to put none of the blame for that on the coach ?

To the Hornacek lovers, enjoy it while it lasts. Someone will get sacrificed . I hope i turn out to be wrong but this year is already looking like a colossal cluster fuck of pick #13 proportions

- R