Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by In2ition »

Do you guys remember how upset most Suns fans were when they traded Marbury for essentially nothing but cap space, expiring or short contracts and draft picks? The national media panned Jerry and the Suns for that move too.

The trade of TJ was bad asset management, but really was bad timing. We nearly all came to the realization that TJ and Josh weren't long for the Suns. If they would have waited a little bit, they could have gotten a pick instead of trading one with him. It kind of has the feel of 2004.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good article of Saric with some insight from a Wolves SB Nation blogger. The one thing I'll disagree with in comparing Saric to previous Suns PFs is that he's much more of a threat putting the ball on the floor and handling in the open court. Stouds, Keef, Frye and Scola weren't that versatile.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019 ... y-williams

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 am
Do you guys remember how upset most Suns fans were when they traded Marbury for essentially nothing but cap space, expiring or short contracts and draft picks? The national media panned Jerry and the Suns for that move too.

The trade of TJ was bad asset management, but really was bad timing. We nearly all came to the realization that TJ and Josh weren't long for the Suns. If they would have waited a little bit, they could have gotten a pick instead of trading one with him. It kind of has the feel of 2004.
I'd say it's much closer to the KT trade. Give something, get nothing (but savings).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:42 am
In2ition wrote:

I'd say it's much closer to the KT trade. Give something, get nothing (but savings).
You mean that the pick is going to turn into an Ibaka type player and he's going to eventually help SA beat us in the playoffs during his contract?

I don't think the Suns traded TJ with one year left on his contract to get out of paying the luxury tax and gave up a 1st round pick that turned into a decent player.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:06 am
Good article of Saric with some insight from a Wolves SB Nation blogger. The one thing I'll disagree with in comparing Saric to previous Suns PFs is that he's much more of a threat putting the ball on the floor and handling in the open court. Stouds, Keef, Frye and Scola weren't that versatile.

Scola is one of those guys that I flat forgot was on the Suns.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea we've had a lot of random guys on the roster over the past decade. Still weird to me that Vince Carter was a Sun.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And weird that it was almost 10 years ago, we thought Carter was done, yet he’s still playing.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:28 pm
OE32 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 am
Personally, I thought the worst thing we could have done on draft night is simply select one of the players projected to go in our range: White, Garland, Hunter, Culver. So I'm pretty pleased we avoided that and filled a starting roster spot instead.
What is wrong with Hunter and Culver?
I just don't think they're worthy of top draft slots. Hunter looks like if Aminu learned to shoot before he entered the league. Don't see anything off the dribble, nor any great defensive statistics. The fact that he went as high as he did is an indictment of this draft. With Culver, I think you have to project a whole lot of development. He just profiles well with his size and general competence with the ball; I don't see anything very special about him from an athleticism or skills perspective. They're the kind of players I'd be more excited about taking with a pick near the back of the lottery in a good draft.

.... And I certainly don't think, given their projected skills and positions, and the skills and positions already covered by other young players on this roster, that we're the right team to develop those guys or to pay them big bucks in 5 years assuming their play justifies it. We can argue about Clarke vs. Cam vs. other prospects 'til we're blue in the face, but trading down? I thought that was clearly the way to go, given the prospects in our range.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I’ll add my 2 cents ... Hunter looks on the slow side. Culver could be okay but he’s not a nailed on pick I don’t think and we’ve tried to hit on a single high draft pick for a few years now (Chriss / Bender the exception), so why not go for a 2fer via a lock in Saric and just as good a chance to succeed as Culver, maybe better, in Johnson? Works for me - been loosely calling for a 2fer draft for a couple years now - and for team depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:18 pm
I’ll add my 2 cents ... Hunter looks on the slow side. Culver could be okay but he’s not a nailed on pick I don’t think and we’ve tried to hit on a single high draft pick for a few years now (Chriss / Bender the exception), so why not go for a 2fer via a lock in Saric and just as good a chance to succeed as Culver, maybe better, in Johnson? Works for me - been loosely calling for a 2fer draft for a couple years now - and for team depth.

I'm good with the trade, but honestly wanted Clarke. I'll support Cam though and hope that he's the best player when all is said and done. I do love his story and he sounds like someone you will want to root for. So far, I like everyone on the team right now. They all seem like good character guys.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I worry about Clarke’s size and wingspan - nothing new there maybe - so I can’t see him amounting to too much more than a decent role player because of it, but he does have great timing and all around skill.

NBA players tend to need to be really good at just one thing - role players anyway - and that’s Cam’s shooting, so I take Cam.

And I’m all for high character - and pass first point guards - so I’m loving life right now.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:11 pm
I worry about Clarke’s size and wingspan - nothing new there maybe - so I can’t see him amounting to too much more than a decent role player because of it, but he does have great timing and all around skill.

NBA players tend to need to be really good at just one thing - role players anyway - and that’s Cam’s shooting, so I take Cam.

And I’m all for high character - and pass first point guards - so I’m loving life right now.
Yeah, I'm irrationally high on this upcoming season right now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:

Didn't Jerry specifically do that deal to free up committed cap space to help the books and increase his sale price?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:48 pm
In2ition wrote:

Didn't Jerry specifically do that deal to free up committed cap space to help the books and increase his sale price?
It's possible, but they also knew the new rule changes were coming the following season, as Jerry was on the rules committee and had a plan on how to take advantage of them, supposedly.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:06 am

So more of a Diaw type then?
Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:20 am
And weird that it was almost 10 years ago, we thought Carter was done, yet he’s still playing.
Yep, that is downright mind boggling....

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

According to Jon Bloom on AZSports radio, his sources say the Pistons would have taken Cam Johnson 15th if we hadn't taken him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 pm
According to Jon Bloom on AZSports radio, his sources say the Pistons would have taken Cam Johnson 15th if we hadn't taken him.
I went back through the draft and realized I don’t think it was as big of a reach as initially thought. Sure, we still took him too high and should have traded back, but a lot of the guys drafted around him/after him I would not have been excited about.

Hachimura at 9? I was not a fan
Tyler Herro at 13? No thanks
Romeo Langford at 14? No interest

I’d rather have Cam than those guys. I wish we took Brandon Clarke, but we still could have had him back at 20. PJ Washington and NAW are really the only other guys I would have wanted over Cam.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 am
Superbone wrote:
I went back through the draft and realized I don’t think it was as big of a reach as initially thought. Sure, we still took him too high and should have traded back, but a lot of the guys drafted around him/after him I would not have been excited about.

I’d rather have Cam than those guys. I wish we took Brandon Clarke, but we still could have had him back at 20. PJ Washington and NAW are really the only other guys I would have wanted over Cam.
Passing on Clarke might be like when we passed on Fox.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:10 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 am
Superbone wrote:

Passing on Clarke might be like when we passed on Fox.
Or, at a different level, Isaac.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »