Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by Indy »

hard to get excited about him hooping in pick up games (especially depending on competition). But it is great to see him hooping in Suns gear even when he doesn't have to.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:49 am
hard to get excited about him hooping in pick up games (especially depending on competition). But it is great to see him hooping in Suns gear even when he doesn't have to.
Agreed, especially when he's playing against NBA players(Ben Simmons, Wiggins, and Trey Lyles).
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I guess a lot of scouts and GMs view on Rubio is that he is really bad? Seems a little odd to me.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Hopefully, this puts a chip on Ricky’s shoulder and sent him into shooting clinics all summer long, that’s the only thing setting him back. Of course you can debate about how much impact he will make on the team, but he is far from a league wide “worst move”. I suspect it was lazy journalism here.

carey

Post by carey »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:28 pm
Hopefully, this puts a chip on Ricky’s shoulder and sent him into shooting clinics all summer long, that’s the only thing setting him back. Of course you can debate about how much impact he will make on the team, but he is far from a league wide “worst move”. I suspect it was lazy journalism here.
Lazy in as much as they didn't poll more than 20? It isn't media voting.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I chalk it up to guys being focused on their own teams, and other guys having preconceived notions on the Suns based on their record last year and how bad they were when they played them. Probably thought that they needed another scorer, should have gone after DLo, and think they don't have much talent, so they should be in assets acquisition and continue tanking. This is what happens when you don't really need to delve into what the Suns are or even scout them.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't know how one could look at our roster and record last year, see us add Rubio and conclude that was the worst move of the summer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:59 pm
I don't know how one could look at our roster and record last year, see us add Rubio and conclude that was the worst move of the summer.
Maybe their last impressions of Rubio was being bad next to Spida and in the Utah system and thinking that he is bad and a bad fit on the Suns because of that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
It’s a slight overpay, but how anyone can think it’s worse than 3/58 for Rozier is crazy

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

That's my initial thought...that he was basically let go by Utah and we overpaid for a PG who can't shoot and was "hurting" Utah on offense. Even so, if you're a coach, exec or scout in the league and you saw us running Canaan, Melton, Okobo and Tyler out there at point, how is Rubio not an upgrade in some kind of way?

I think we're just easy targets, like the Knicks.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:10 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 pm
According to Jon Bloom on AZSports radio, his sources say the Pistons would have taken Cam Johnson 15th if we hadn't taken him.
I went back through the draft and realized I don’t think it was as big of a reach as initially thought. Sure, we still took him too high and should have traded back, but a lot of the guys drafted around him/after him I would not have been excited about.

Hachimura at 9? I was not a fan
Tyler Herro at 13? No thanks
Romeo Langford at 14? No interest

I’d rather have Cam than those guys. I wish we took Brandon Clarke, but we still could have had him back at 20. PJ Washington and NAW are really the only other guys I would have wanted over Cam.
Passing on Clarke might be like when we passed on Fox.
Could be, hopefully Cam is nothing like Josh and Cam and Clarke are both good players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:12 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:10 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 pm
According to Jon Bloom on AZSports radio, his sources say the Pistons would have taken Cam Johnson 15th if we hadn't taken him.
I went back through the draft and realized I don’t think it was as big of a reach as initially thought. Sure, we still took him too high and should have traded back, but a lot of the guys drafted around him/after him I would not have been excited about.

Hachimura at 9? I was not a fan
Tyler Herro at 13? No thanks
Romeo Langford at 14? No interest

I’d rather have Cam than those guys. I wish we took Brandon Clarke, but we still could have had him back at 20. PJ Washington and NAW are really the only other guys I would have wanted over Cam.
Passing on Clarke might be like when we passed on Fox.
Could be, hopefully Cam is nothing like Josh and Cam and Clarke are both good players.
I sure hope so. I would LOVE to be wrong on this one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:11 pm
ShelC wrote:
It’s a slight overpay, but how anyone can think it’s worse than 3/58 for Rozier is crazy
Probably because Rubio is what he is. He has been a starter for a long time, and isn't likely to be better than what people saw last year. Rozier is several years younger, less mileage, and hasn't been a starter yet. There is room for upside (even if I don't think he will get there).

As much as we hate it, I am assuming if 6/20 coaches/GMs/scouts independently came to the conclusion that Rubio's contract/fit on this team was the worst move of the off-season, there is some fire under the smoke. Let's just hope it is the fire before the phoenix rises.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Probably because Rubio is what he is. He has been a starter for a long time, and isn't likely to be better than what people saw last year. Rozier is several years younger, less mileage, and hasn't been a starter yet. There is room for upside (even if I don't think he will get there).

As much as we hate it, I am assuming if 6/20 coaches/GMs/scouts independently came to the conclusion that Rubio's contract/fit on this team was the worst move of the off-season, there is some fire under the smoke. Let's just hope it is the fire before the phoenix rises.
Well, it's not like the Suns are married to Rubio. He's signed for 3 years, he's not close to as bad of a contract that many other's were signed to. He is most likely a bridge PG and they have a good PG rotation this year. At least it's competent.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

:shock: :D

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 pm
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Well, it's not like the Suns are married to Rubio. He's signed for 3 years, he's not close to as bad of a contract that many other's were signed to. He is most likely a bridge PG and they have a good PG rotation this year. At least it's competent.
Yeah. I have not said it was a bad move. I have said it was meh. I am just surprised to see people that get paid to make these decision indicate it was one of the worst moves. Hindsight is always 20/20, so time will tell.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Again, in terms of comparing the signings, a lot of people around the league scratched their head over our Nash contract. But he was worth that much to us at the time.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Harrison Barnes got 4 years, $85 million to return to Sacramento.

How is that not near the top of their list?

Khris Middleton averaged 18 points and 6 rebounds and was given a 5-year, $178 million contract by Milwaukee. That's $35.6 million a year. That's insane.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC wrote:
Even so, if you're a coach, exec or scout in the league and you saw us running Canaan, Melton, Okobo and Tyler out there at point, how is Rubio not an upgrade in some kind of way?
dont forget point booker, and the guys playing off him are canaan, melton, okobo.

SDC

Post by SDC »

the rubio acquisition isnt bad at all. he's surrounded with shooters, which means he's a good fit.

it has the added benefit of forcing booker to play off the ball more because rubio's not a good outside shooter.
Last edited by SDC on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.