Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by The Bobster »

ESPN has lost a lot of subscribers over the last few years - they peaked at over 100 million and have dropped to under 90 million and it's just going to get worse. People are just cutting the cable.

They're still profitable, but not nearly as profitable as they were.

I pretty much just watch them for live sports now. once-in-a-while they play a 30-for-30 that interests me.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Amidst all the firings, it looks like they're poaching Woj and some of his vertical crew:

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/1/1550367 ... -woj-yahoo

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
ShelC wrote:Yup, definitely going the way of the mainstream news organizations in that sense.

Thank heavens. I like my sports like I like my news--light on content and heavy on the hot takes.

I wonder why they kept on Zach Lowe.
Did you forget the green font?
I obviously haven't been paying close enough attention--is there an official sarcasm color?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Random prediction: Vince Carter signs with the Warriors this summer.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:Amidst all the firings, it looks like they're poaching Woj and some of his vertical crew:

https://www.recode.net/2017/5/1/1550367 ... -woj-yahoo
I think that was leaked a few months ago.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:Random prediction: Vince Carter signs with the Warriors this summer.
Not Cleveland?

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
ShelC wrote:Yup, definitely going the way of the mainstream news organizations in that sense.

Thank heavens. I like my sports like I like my news--light on content and heavy on the hot takes.

I wonder why they kept on Zach Lowe.
Did you forget the green font?
I obviously haven't been paying close enough attention--is there an official sarcasm color?
I wouldn't know.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The Bobster wrote:ESPN has lost a lot of subscribers over the last few years - they peaked at over 100 million and have dropped to under 90 million and it's just going to get worse. People are just cutting the cable.

They're still profitable, but not nearly as profitable as they were.

I pretty much just watch them for live sports now. once-in-a-while they play a 30-for-30 that interests me.
Sometimes not even the live sports, Streaming has just become such a habit for me
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hate the ESPN analysis shows, but I would never want to cut them from my cable package. They air too many games and sporting events that I want to watch. I am kind of skeptical that ESPN is in trouble or dying out. They're still on in every bar TV in America; they're a must-have cable channel in an era where there are extremely few of those left. They do probably need to update some of their models and ways, but I'd wager they are still going to be successful for a long time.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

IMO, they would be good going a Netflix route and just take themselves out slowly from the cable and satellite packages and offer their own version online through pay. That way they could get the money from subscriptions, where a lot of people don't want all the other channels that they have to pay for when they only want to watch sports. Since live sports seems to be somewhat immune to losing viewership, since most people don't want to watch a sporting event after the fact or on demand, they still could reap the benefits of commercials and a captured audience.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:IMO, they would be good going a Netflix route and just take themselves out slowly from the cable and satellite packages and offer their own version online through pay. That way they could get the money from subscriptions, where a lot of people don't want all the other channels that they have to pay for when they only want to watch sports. Since live sports seems to be somewhat immune to losing viewership, since most people don't want to watch a sporting event after the fact or on demand, they still could reap the benefits of commercials and a captured audience.
Disney owns 80% of it and runs the company, so I don't see them going the route of netflix at all. Maybe Hearst (owner of the other 20%) would be cool with it, but Disney supports plenty of their lesser known channels by cable bundling, that they would lose if it went subscription or the "pay by channel" route.

TOO

Post by TOO »

The ESPN app is the only way to watch that network, tune in for the games, you can browse certain highlights or interviews you want to see, etc.. etc..

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, i hate when I find out a game I want to watch is on ESPN. There is nothing on that network i enjoy outside of live sports, but it seems to be increasingly less and less of what they do.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:Yeah, i hate when I find out a game I want to watch is on ESPN. There is nothing on that network i enjoy outside of live sports, but it seems to be increasingly less and less of what they do.
They are putting way too much effort into the entertainment side of things, that SC6 thing they started is garbage, its like an awful comedy show that dabbles in sports. Its what FoxSports used to do with the Best Damn Sports Show Period a million years ago. It buried that network, and somehow ESPN is following that path.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:Yeah, i hate when I find out a game I want to watch is on ESPN. There is nothing on that network i enjoy outside of live sports, but it seems to be increasingly less and less of what they do.
ESPN : Sports :: MTV : Music

?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
ESPN : Sports :: MTV : Music

?
Yes

Split T

Post by Split T »

It feels like ESPN had to add a bunch of channels because of the times when multiple live sports are happening at the same time, but they don't have good enough content to fill the time when sports aren't being played.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:It feels like ESPN had to add a bunch of channels because of the times when multiple live sports are happening at the same time, but they don't have good enough content to fill the time when sports aren't being played.
There's always sports being played somewhere, but maybe there's no audience in the US for things like cricket and rugby.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:It feels like ESPN had to add a bunch of channels because of the times when multiple live sports are happening at the same time, but they don't have good enough content to fill the time when sports aren't being played.
There's always sports being played somewhere, but maybe there's no audience in the US for things like cricket and rugby.
Is that only because cricket games can last a week long? :P
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Sup folks

Anybody been paying attention to Ice Cube's idea with this Big 3 League ? Saw there was a draft over the weekend and guys seem to be taking it seriously, I was trying to paste the image of the different teams but couldn't get it done lol :? :lol:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)