Suns 2017 Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns 2017 Free Agency

Post by INFORMER »

No free agents please. Just trades.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:No free agents please. Just trades.
this

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:If that is the list, bring back Barbs.
This. All I want from free agency is veteran leadership off the bench.

And please remember that we max out at 15 players. Bolded players are FA or have non-guaranteed contracts, if I'm not mistaken.
  1. Bledsoe
  2. Ulis
  3. Knight
  4. Booker
  5. Barbosa
  6. Reed
  7. Warren
  8. Jackson
  9. Jones Jr
  10. Chriss
  11. Bender
  12. Dudley
  13. Peters
  14. Chandler
  15. Len
  16. Williams
+ Millsap
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There is no way Millsap is coming back. He showed nothing in his time here.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:There is no way Millsap is coming back. He showed nothing in his time here.
Agreed. Bobster is technically correct, as he does have a partial guarantee. But I would be surprised if Milsap even made our summer league squad or training camp.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I've seen a lot of people list Bender at C, he would have to add so much strength this summer for that, I just cant see it yet. Chriss makes more sense there for me.
I can't see either at C. That's why I wanted one of the athletic big men in this draft.

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

INFORMER wrote:No free agents please. Just trades.
+1
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Stand pat is the right thing to do in free agency. Ship off Knight if it's possible, and sign Len to a reasonable contract and call it a offseason.

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Forgot about Williams, we should sign him too. But the question is, how much do you give him? 8-10 mln?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hopefully less than that if we can afford it, especially if we do re-sign Len.

carey

Post by carey »

We can't keep Len if we keep Chandler. It makes no sense. Pick one. Williams can stick around at $6M or less. He's a rebounding machine with long arms but his offensive game will remain limited because of his height and he's not the most mobile guy out there so it's tough to play him in small lineups. I really do like him as a person though and hope he sticks around for a reasonable deal. I wouldn't fault him at all for jumping at a $10M/yr deal though. He's better than Miles Plumlee.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:We can't keep Len if we keep Chandler. It makes no sense. Pick one. Williams can stick around at $6M or less. He's a rebounding machine with long arms but his offensive game will remain limited because of his height and he's not the most mobile guy out there so it's tough to play him in small lineups. I really do like him as a person though and hope he sticks around for a reasonable deal. I wouldn't fault him at all for jumping at a $10M/yr deal though. He's better than Miles Plumlee.
Funny but I've seen Williams move and score in ways his body would paint as uncharacteristic. His physical profile doesn't worry me at all. I like him more than Len. There, I said it.

Anyway, at this point we need to trade Chandler. The team has now good chemistry and character and the bad weed is erased. We don't need a cop and truth is I trust Watson to keep the kids in check without Chandler, who btw I don't really think has been a great influence on Len game wise.

Dudley and Barbosa could follow suit, but I want them on the court a few minutes everygame (and in practice) because they are homegrown and know how to play the right way and to me that's valuable when rebuilding.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:We can't keep Len if we keep Chandler. It makes no sense. Pick one. Williams can stick around at $6M or less. He's a rebounding machine with long arms but his offensive game will remain limited because of his height and he's not the most mobile guy out there so it's tough to play him in small lineups. I really do like him as a person though and hope he sticks around for a reasonable deal. I wouldn't fault him at all for jumping at a $10M/yr deal though. He's better than Miles Plumlee.
I think people are going to be surprised at the offers Williams gets.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Bickley thinks the Suns should go after Blake Griffin. (He also liked the proposed Irving for Bledsoe and #4 trade.)

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 434365001/
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Superbone wrote:Bickley thinks the Suns should go after Blake Griffin. (He also liked the proposed Irving for Bledsoe and #4 trade.)

Blake Griffin is the only free agent I would consider. I also would not do a sign and trade where we have up any of our youngsters or Draft picks.

It would be purely on him. Walk away from the Clippers and come play with us as a free agent.

That means we are not going to sign any free agents. Which is just fine.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:Bickley thinks the Suns should go after Blake Griffin. (He also liked the proposed Irving for Bledsoe and #4 trade.)

giving up on josh jackson that quickly?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

SDC wrote:

giving up on josh jackson that quickly?
Josh Jackson would play SF. Blake would play PF/C (mostly PF).

carey

Post by carey »

Bickley should stick to guitar! J/k. I do like Irving but like I said before that could be the worst defensive backcourt ever. I'm fine sticking with Bledsoe & Jackson. I don't really see why we'd go after Blake & I'm not just talking about "the timeline." He can't play C and I don't think Chriss can play there more than a few minutes at a time. At least for now. Plus if we didn't sign Amare to that big extension in 2010 under Sarver why would we sign Blake? Blake had the exact same micro fracture surgery as Amare. We let Amare go after 8 seasons at the age of 27. Blake is now 28 and just finished his 7th season. I would wager that the Suns have no interest in going down this path for even more money than it would have cost to keep Amare.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I really don't have any interest in Blake. If he couldn't lead and/or win with those Clippers teams, he'd be a waste of money here. He generate some buzz and excitement sure, but long term I don't think it'd be worth it. I also just don't know what to make of him or his game anymore.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Just say no to Blake, at pretty much any cost. I just don't see guys liking to play with him.