NCAA / FBI Probe and the NBA Impact

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: NCAA / FBI Probe and the NBA Impact

Post by Cap »

bajanguy008 wrote:
n4th4n wrote:Sean Miller has always been a s*** coach. Now we have confirmation of exactly how much of a lying jackass he really is. Good riddance. (This coming from a lifelong U of A fan and alumni)

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/967444771580121089

Well seems like he got his bases more than covered. That is crazy, never heard such clauses in a contract. This is becoming a crazy story
Crazy indeed. It almost sounds like a unilateral contract. If you get fired for cause, that pretty much means you’re not honoring all the terms of the contract... but the contract still binds the other party to pay you?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Look forward to seeing the movie.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Miller not at shoot around and won't coach tonight. Ayton was at shoot around, unsure if he's playing.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Whoever signed him to that contract should be fired along with him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe they signed him to that contract with the understanding that he was going break the rules and pay players so he wanted insurance if he got caught in exchange for not implementing the university.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:Maybe they signed him to that contract with the understanding that he was going break the rules and pay players so he wanted insurance if he got caught in exchange for not implementing the university.
Actually, a contract like that implies that they expected him to break the rules.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Maybe they signed him to that contract with the understanding that he was going break the rules and pay players so he wanted insurance if he got caught in exchange for not implementing the university.
Yeah, maybe they even encouraged it. "Do whatever it takes!" It's really the only reasonable explanation for that contract.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Yeah, maybe they even encouraged it. "Do whatever it takes!" It's really the only reasonable explanation for that contract.
So they pay him a bonus to be the fall guy?

Odd thing to write into a contract.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

What's your explanation?

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:Whoever signed him to that contract should be fired along with him.
Jim Livengood originally hired Miller to UofA. Greg Byrne, who is riding Saban's coat tails as the AD at Alabama, might have signed him to the extension he signed. Unsure when the clause in question was put in.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I really have no clue, but it's hard to see why Arizona would sign a contract with him that payed him more if he was fired with cause. I guess it could have been an oversight and Miller and his agent snuck it into the contract.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I really have no clue, but it's hard to see why Arizona would sign a contract with him that payed him more if he was fired with cause. I guess it could have been an oversight and Miller and his agent snuck it into the contract.
Still a cause to fire the AD, school president, and the Board of Regents who have to approve the contract.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well young O'Neal is having a change of heart

https://twitter.com/SSJreef/status/967499122461704192

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I find all of this so compelling. Yes this Arizona situation with such a large amount of $$ is one thing but the meals and couple sneakers and so on that also get kids in trouble I always am puzzled at.
Rules are Rules I guess
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm so out of the NCAA loop that I just today learned that (a) Shaq has a son, and (b) he was going to come play hoops at U of A.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

bajanguy008 wrote:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/967444771580121089

Well seems like he got his bases more than covered. That is crazy, never heard such clauses in a contract. This is becoming a crazy story
This is not at all crazy if you read between the lines. His contract indirectly confirms that both Miller and the UA athletic department were completely willing to do what it took to get bluechip prospects.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is playing tonight

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I guess "cleaning up" college basketball is a good thing, but I think all of this is mostly bullshit. Paying for recruits has been happening forever, and it's certainly not going to stop for good because of this. The bigger crime is the free labor that can be valued way over $100K the universities receive from these kids, not to mention the NCAA as a whole.

Pay the damn kids already.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Every other major country, 18-year-olds (and younger) can play basketball for money. American kids have to go through the NCAA system or leave the country. Ridiculous. Their national monopoly has been the engine of too much abuse, and it’s time to end it.

“Land of the free” isn’t supposed to mean “Land of the kids being forced to work for free," but in the case of athletes, it does.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

But they get paid with an education! (Which isn't really costing the university anything)

And have a chance to get a college degree! (Except the school is only having them take the the classes they need to stay eligible)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695