2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't believe we are sending a #4 pick to represent us at the draft in a year when the worst possible lottery outcome for us is to get the #4 pick. It's like we want to tempt fate.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I can't believe we are sending a #4 pick to represent us at the draft in a year when the worst possible lottery outcome for us is to get the #4 pick. It's like we want to tempt fate.
:( :( :(

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I can't believe we are sending a #4 pick to represent us at the draft in a year when the worst possible lottery outcome for us is to get the #4 pick. It's like we want to tempt fate.
:( :( :(
Maybe there's a method to their madness. Maybe their theory is that #4 picks are like magnets with reversed polarity?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm so not fretting this as much as you guys are. I feel there are anywhere from 5-7 prospects that can improve this team significantly, so I think we're in good shape no matter what.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Not to pile on but when was the last time this team won anything in the lottery? Not the first pick, simply getting their ping-pong ball drawn (so top 3 picks currently).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Hermen wrote:Not to pile on but when was the last time this team won anything in the lottery? Not the first pick, simply getting their ping-pong ball drawn (so top 3 picks currently).
Or even gotten a coin flip to go our way for that matter?

The only time we’ve moved up in the lotto was 87 when we landed #2 and picked Armon Gilliam.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Cap wrote:
Hermen wrote:Not to pile on but when was the last time this team won anything in the lottery? Not the first pick, simply getting their ping-pong ball drawn (so top 3 picks currently).

The only time we’ve moved up in the lotto was 87 when we landed #2 and picked Armon Gilliam.
I did not even mean moving up (not necessarily). For example, getting the #2 or #3 this year would not be moving up but it would still mean our balls stood out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Hermen wrote:
Cap wrote:

I did not even mean moving up (not necessarily). For example, getting the #2 or #3 this year would not be moving up but it would still mean our balls stood out.
Yikes, that might be cause for avoiding schools, announcing yourself to your neighbors...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:I'm so not fretting this as much as you guys are. I feel there are anywhere from 5-7 prospects that can improve this team significantly, so I think we're in good shape no matter what.
I actually agree with you, just would like to win the lottery for winning the lottery sakes. I mean there is a very real possibility we do and still pick the wrong guy, so goes the NBA draft.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just want a top 3 pick. Is that too much to ask?

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

being #4 again is the worst case scenario. at least with #3, easier to trade up to #2 or #1 if you include the #16 pick or one of suns young players.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wasn't there some article or study showing that #2 picks are way, way worse than #1 picks?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Wasn't there some article or study showing that #2 picks are way, way worse than #1 picks?
A few latest #1 vs #2:
Spoiler: show/hide
I'm not sure what made people choose MKG, Derrick, Turner, Thabeet, but other than that brutal stretch it seems alright.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Hermen wrote:
Cap wrote:

No. Since the lottery went to the top-three format in ’87, Gilliam is the only time our balls (or balls we had via trade) came up.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I am resigned to the #4 pick. As a Suns fan, I do not know what anything else but disappointment feel like at lottery time. All that tanking was so that we could not pick worse than #4

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
I am resigned to the #4 pick. As a Suns fan, I do not know what anything else but disappointment feel like at lottery time. All that tanking was so that we could not pick worse than #4
It is smart to expect it so you can't be disappointed on lottery day. But let's be honest, you'll still be a little disappointed.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

5/8 - OK, now I'm scaring myself. 1st on the 1st attempt today.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
It is smart to expect it so you can't be disappointed on lottery day. But let's be honest, you'll still be a little disappointed.
I EXPECT to be disappointed. It is a Suns fan's lot in life at the lottery.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
I EXPECT to be disappointed. It is a Suns fan's lot in life at the lottery.
That's stinkin' thinkin'. ;) We are due for a little lottery luck.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

If the Cavs jump us in the lottery, I fucking quit.