With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

TOO

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by TOO »

In my perfect world, we get Doncic and make a big move for Bamba. If we can't get Bamba, I go after Capela.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:In my perfect world, we get Doncic and make a big move for Bamba. If we can't get Bamba, I go after Capela.
If we lived in your perfect world, I would hope we did both.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:In my perfect world, we get Doncic and make a big move for Bamba. If we can't get Bamba, I go after Capela.
Hear, hear!

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
Yes, get all the talls!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I love Doncic and his game, but it figures that the year the Suns get the #1 pick, there are 5-8 possible #1 type talents, haha.

I think you have to go Ayton. But I'm on record that the Suns have the assets other than Booker and Jackson to move up to maneuver to get Doncic too if they commit to it.

I believe that Ayton is going to show a lot more than he did in college. I see him as a Robinson/Hakeem/Ewing hybrid physical freak with better freshman numbers than Shaq had. I see him growing into a better player than KAT or Embiid and a player that forces teams to put their 8 or 9th best player on the floor in an attempt to match up.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Yes, get all the talls!
I mean it's going to take a few years to get Bamba's legs under him and Capela can't play 48 minutes a night.

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Yes, get all the talls!
I mean it's going to take a few years to get Bamba's legs under him and Capela can't play 48 minutes a night.
Honestly, I'd love to have 2 defensive monsters capable of switching up top and patrolling the paint.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

I’m 51/49 Ayton right now. This is such a great problem to have.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Xylus wrote:I’m 51/49 Ayton right now. This is such a great problem to have.
Seriously.

Although I hope we’re never in a position to have to hope for this again

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:I think you have to go Ayton. But I'm on record that the Suns have the assets other than Booker and Jackson to move up to maneuver to get Doncic too if they commit to it.
Which means you’re on record as being crazier than the guy in your avatar.

Split T

Re: Ayton, or Doncic, that is the question...

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'm about 65/35 in favor of Doncic right now. Doncic does so many things on the floor that would really open up the offense. And I think the Suns can get someone who's at least 80% of Ayton elsewhere, or maybe we get lucky Chriss/Bender figure it out under a permanent coaching staff.
Hmmm, I think it might be easier to get someone who can do 80% of what Doncic does. I'm probably 70-25-5 in favor of Ayton, with Bagley holding a little hope, haha.
I disagree because Doncic's role involves more decision making and ball handling, which are hard to find at an elite level for a player his size. Ayton, or pretty much any other big man, would likely have a role that's focused on being a defensive anchor, rebounding and post scoring. Those things are easier to get in the league right now, IMO.
You might be right, we'll see. I still might change but right now I'm leaning Ayton. Can I ask who you think in this league can provide is what you think Ayton will provide?

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

I think we'll regret passing on Doncic because "we never had a good center". Right now, Doncic is the right pick.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It's kind of silly to get so excited about the first pick when you probably won't walk away with the best player in the draft. Ask Philly.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:It's kind of silly to get so excited about the first pick when you probably won't walk away with the best player in the draft. Ask Philly.

Go shit in someone else's plate man! I'm excited. Even if we pick Ayton and Doncic ends up better, or Bamba ends up the best, there's just no way Doncic or Ayton don't end up being at the very least very serviceable players in the NBA.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I agree; I think no matter what, the Suns are going to get a good player.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: Ayton, or Doncic, that is the question...

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'm about 65/35 in favor of Doncic right now. Doncic does so many things on the floor that would really open up the offense. And I think the Suns can get someone who's at least 80% of Ayton elsewhere, or maybe we get lucky Chriss/Bender figure it out under a permanent coaching staff.
Hmmm, I think it might be easier to get someone who can do 80% of what Doncic does. I'm probably 70-25-5 in favor of Ayton, with Bagley holding a little hope, haha.
I disagree because Doncic's role involves more decision making and ball handling, which are hard to find at an elite level for a player his size. Ayton, or pretty much any other big man, would likely have a role that's focused on being a defensive anchor, rebounding and post scoring. Those things are easier to get in the league right now, IMO.
You might be right, we'll see. I still might change but right now I'm leaning Ayton. Can I ask who you think in this league can provide is what you think Ayton will provide?
Remember, I said 80% of Ayton. In no particular order, I think these guys can be serviceable in that role.

Dedmon
Capela
Cauley-Stein
Valanciunas
Robin Lopez
Favors
Whiteside
Kanter

There are others, but they're guys I favor right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:I think you have to go Ayton. But I'm on record that the Suns have the assets other than Booker and Jackson to move up to maneuver to get Doncic too if they commit to it.
Which means you’re on record as being crazier than the guy in your avatar.
Really? Personal attacks? Do you know who is in my avatar?

And, in another thread Doncic could threaten to never come over for Memphis either.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Two athletic, big, skilled players in last years draft, but they were overly ripped for their defense.

Markkanen and Tatum.

Ayton is the choice and its not even that close.

Singh

Post by Singh »

Ayton. These big guys don’t come around after. A free agent veteran pg (ala Nash to amare) will be the way to go. Pg available include elfrid, van vleet and Lin as well as rondo

SDC

Post by SDC »

Centers like Kevin Duckworth arent as valuable as they were in the past. Only elite big men or role playing stretch bigs and rim protectors can thrive. But i do believe ayton has the potential to be great, it's why he is #1 ranked player in this draft.