Suns News: Weeks 19 & 20 (2/20 - 3/5)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Suns News: Week 19 (2/20 - 2/26)

Post by Shabazz »

He was good when he stared for us for that period, but he was struggling when he went back to being a reserve, which is how we'll need him. I agree he's still a better option than Goran, but I'm not super confident. Hopefully his role will be simplified with some additional ball creation to help him out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he’ll play better if he’s out there with the right guys. KD helps. The Payne/Booker/KD lineups should flourish when CP3 goes out early. I wouldn’t play him with Biz, just make sure we’re either playing small ball or Jock at the 5

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:33 am
I think he’ll play better if he’s out there with the right guys. KD helps. The Payne/Booker/KD lineups should flourish when CP3 goes out early. I wouldn’t play him with Biz, just make sure we’re either playing small ball or Jock at the 5
Let's just keep one future hall of fame player out there at all times. Yes, I'm including Booker. With three of them, we should be able to stagger them.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I like this:
SI: What kind of team owner do you see yourself being?

Ishbia: I think my job as an owner is to put great people in position with all the resources they need to make the right decisions and then support them, good or bad, with those decisions. I'm not watching film on the draft picks. James will recommend who he thinks and we'll talk about and he might understand my vision on how character really matters and leadership really matters and that I'm not willing to sacrifice that. So he'll know my vision of what matters to me and what I believe in as a human being and as a leader of an organization. But James will pick the best player. And that's his job. I'm not calling Monty Williams to ask him why we played someone. That's not my thing. I'll watch the game like a fan and cheer the team on. That's what my job is to do, is to be the biggest supporter, to give Monty Williams all the support he needs, to give James Jones all the support they need, to give the players all the support they need.

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ishbia: Well, I don't know about all the talks from the summer. I just know my conversations with Joe Tsai and James's with Sean Marks. It was not months. It was days and hours to put the deal together. I'm obviously a different variable and obviously I had to understand the luxury tax and understand what that is. And that was about four or five seconds of the conversation, because that was not a discussion. We were going to do what it takes to win and be successful. And I believe in business money follows success, not the other way around. So I'm not focused on every dollar. We'll make money. I promise we'll make money. That was the mentality. And it was a team decision, as in me and James and Ryan [Resch] who works with James and my brother [Justin] was involved. We were all talking about it.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:45 pm
Ishbia: Well, I don't know about all the talks from the summer. I just know my conversations with Joe Tsai and James's with Sean Marks. It was not months. It was days and hours to put the deal together. I'm obviously a different variable and obviously I had to understand the luxury tax and understand what that is. And that was about four or five seconds of the conversation, because that was not a discussion. We were going to do what it takes to win and be successful. And I believe in business money follows success, not the other way around. So I'm not focused on every dollar. We'll make money. I promise we'll make money. That was the mentality. And it was a team decision, as in me and James and Ryan [Resch] who works with James and my brother [Justin] was involved. We were all talking about it.
Yes sir. I feel like we are at the beginning of the best era in Phoenix Suns history from a spending ability standpoint. I have renewed hope for our first NBA Championship in my lifetime.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:35 pm
I like this:
SI: What kind of team owner do you see yourself being?

Ishbia: I think my job as an owner is to put great people in position with all the resources they need to make the right decisions and then support them, good or bad, with those decisions. I'm not watching film on the draft picks. James will recommend who he thinks and we'll talk about and he might understand my vision on how character really matters and leadership really matters and that I'm not willing to sacrifice that. So he'll know my vision of what matters to me and what I believe in as a human being and as a leader of an organization. But James will pick the best player. And that's his job. I'm not calling Monty Williams to ask him why we played someone. That's not my thing. I'll watch the game like a fan and cheer the team on. That's what my job is to do, is to be the biggest supporter, to give Monty Williams all the support he needs, to give James Jones all the support they need, to give the players all the support they need.
Nice! And certainly JJ and Monty know that they’re on the clock to win.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:45 pm
This is what Sarver failed to grasp, especially in his early years. He had a chance to win, and he chose money over basketball decisions. That's also what led all of us to a decade of suffering as fans.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's easy to say this stuff right now. Let's see if he's kept his word in a few seasons.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:33 am
Where is he at now? He kinda flopped in the nba. I just checked and it looks like he’s in China
He’s in China. I’m not sure why he flopped in the NBA, as I recall it was more due to personality issues than actual skill level. Feels like he’s a reasonably versatile defender and tough if undersized rebounder in the paint.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:32 pm
It's easy to say this stuff right now. Let's see if he's kept his word in a few seasons.
Dude, he instantly OK'd a 40 million dollar luxury tax bill. I think it's safe now.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:22 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Dude, he instantly OK'd a 40 million dollar luxury tax bill. I think it's safe now.
He's not the first owner to pump in a bunch of cash at the start and many of them ended up regretting it.

I'm optimistic, but reserving judgement for a bit longer down the line.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don’t remember seeing these posted. Click through to the threads for videos on what KD in our offense might look like

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:31 pm

Don’t remember seeing these posted. Click through to the threads for videos on what KD in our offense might look like
*Spoiler alert* you can't stop it.

pickle

Post by pickle »

This is kinda funny.

Ayton’s dunk rating is just slightly above his 3 point rating in 2k.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:59 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:22 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
He's not the first owner to pump in a bunch of cash at the start and many of them ended up regretting it.

I'm optimistic, but reserving judgement for a bit longer down the line.
It is understandable that our fan base will need an adjustment period to this new situation. Sarver did a good job of knocking us back a peg or two.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:51 pm
What?! I thought he was playing Friday against OKC! That sucks.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Might not debut until Wednesday.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass