Around the League: September

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SDC

Re: Around the League: September

Post by SDC »

bol bol means pubic hair

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hopefully he's been practicing his 3-pointers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:bol bol means pubic hair
Not in Africa or America.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
In the Bisaya language of the Philippines it does.

Dan H

Post by Dan H »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In the Bisaya language of the Philippines it does.
And now we know . . . and knowing is half the battle!

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Mori Chu wrote:Hopefully he's been practicing his 3-pointers.
That's what I thought too :)

Watching the video, I am however very worried about his legs/knees. But maybe that's just me because seeing long and fragile looking players run and dribble like that always makes me feel like "Oh no! This cannot be right. It is going to break. Something must give. Any second now. Wait for it. This cannot possibly end good!?!". Happens with Durant too :)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Manute Bol was such an unusual and unique NBA player. I'd love to have his son in the NBA just for the nostalgia if nothing else. The NBA does well with unique and memorable players. I miss Yao Ming and Arvydas Sabonis and guys like that.

carey

Post by carey »

Mori Chu wrote:Manute Bol was such an unusual and unique NBA player. I'd love to have his son in the NBA just for the nostalgia if nothing else. The NBA does well with unique and memorable players. I miss Yao Ming and Arvydas Sabonis and guys like that.
I wish I would have saw Sabonis in his prime before he came to the states. I know we had discussions on the previous .net about how his knees were already shot before he even got here and he was still impressive.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:Manute Bol was such an unusual and unique NBA player. I'd love to have his son in the NBA just for the nostalgia if nothing else. The NBA does well with unique and memorable players. I miss Yao Ming and Arvydas Sabonis and guys like that.
I wish I would have saw Sabonis in his prime before he came to the states. I know we had discussions on the previous .net about how his knees were already shot before he even got here and he was still impressive.
Yes, his body was almost shot when he got to the NBA. He was drafted when he was 21 in '86 and that same year he tore his achilles. I watched him extensively when he played for Real Madrid and even after all the injuries, he was beyond dominating. At that point, think of Chris Webber overall talent inside Shaq's body. Many say that with no injury he would have been the best center in the world, at the all time peak in the NBA at his position.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He was 3 inches taller than Shaq. When he played against the US in '88, he made David Robinson look like a SF against a center physically.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

Sources: GM Danny Ferry's reference to Luol Deng's African heritage initiated Hawks investigation
The trigger of events that led to the toppling of Atlanta Hawks owner Bruce Levenson began with general manager Danny Ferry referring to free agent Luol Deng as having "some African in him" on an organizational conference call, league sources with direct knowledge of the probe told Yahoo Sports.

"He's still a young guy overall," Ferry said, league sources with direct knowledge of the probe told Yahoo. “He's a good guy overall. But he's not perfect. He's got some African in him. And I don't say that in a bad way."

Hawks CEO Steve Koonin told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Ferry had received an undisclosed punishment, but would remain as GM.

The disparaging racial reference to Deng triggered at least one team owner on the call to pursue an independent investigation into how the organization operated in regard to race. The search uncovered the 2012 email that Levenson sent to Ferry and two minority owners that ultimately led to Levenson's decision, under pressure, to sell his stake in the Hawks.

SDC

Post by SDC »

The disparaging racial reference to Deng triggered at least one team owner on the call to pursue an independent investigation into how the organization operated in regard to race.
STERLING!

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What does that even mean? "Has some African in him." From a GM perspective, what is he saying exactly?

Cap

Post by Cap »

More to that quote (from a different source):
Danny Ferry wrote:He has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he's a guy who would have a nice store out front, but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back.
The wording is different, so I'm guessing the varying reports are based on the recollections of participants in the call rather than a recording.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Cap wrote:More to that quote (from a different source):
Danny Ferry wrote:He has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he's a guy who would have a nice store out front, but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back.
The wording is different, so I'm guessing the varying reports are based on the recollections of participants in the call rather than a recording.
But does that even mean though!? How does it even relate to basketball?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wally_West wrote:
Cap wrote:More to that quote (from a different source):
But does that even mean though!? How does it even relate to basketball?
Exactly, Wally. That's what I don't get.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And just to be clear, Ferry is claiming he read those comments and that they originated from a scout.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

here's a quote from another source:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-- ... 01096.html
"He's still a young guy overall," Ferry said, league sources with direct knowledge of the probe told Yahoo. “He's a good guy overall. But he's not perfect. He's got some African in him. And I don't say that in a bad way."
my reading of this is that "African" means he's an african immigrant/foreigner, as opposed to african-american.

and does anybody in their right mind think danny ferry is racist? :lol:

SDC

Post by SDC »

now if hackers/investigators can find those missing lois lerner's emails...