Around the League: Week 9 12/22-12/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Week 9 12/22-12/28

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori, they tried. Everyone knew Smith was on the market and available. All they were offered were bad contracts in return. No positive assets to improve the team. They opted to stretch provision him instead so I guess the money saved off the cap by doing that looked better than whatever pupu platter the Kings were trying to give them.
I think it's not. A cancer needs to be extirpated. A team that has employed Shannon Brown, Michael Beasley and Marcus Banks should be well aware of that. Sometimes relationships are part the fixing point and the best is to just break loose.
I realize that they were doing their best to find a suitor and couldn't. So yes, maybe *today* the best they could do was to just release him. But they had literally 2 and a half YEARS to figure this out. They could have looked for a trade around the all-star break, when many teams are looking to make deals and all the GMs are in one place. Or next offseason. So much changes from week to week, month to month, season to offseason to next season. And it's not like this guy was expiring like Rondo was in Boston, where they had to get something for him ASAP or lose him. It just makes no sense to me.

If he's causing a problem, you bench him and wait until the All-Star break and/or until the offseason.

Yes, the Suns paid guys like B*****y, S*****n B***n, and Banks to go away. But those guys were complete trash who didn't help our team at all. They had way less esteem and value around the league. And in most cases their yearly salaries were not even close to Smith's.

Look at the fervor around the league by contending teams who want to get a shot at Smith now. That wouldn't happen when we released B*****y or those other guys. Smith is a much, MUCH better player and much more desired around the league.

To get *nothing* for him is really poor GMing from a GM who is too busy coaching and too emotionally invested in the coaching side of his two-pronged job to make the best decisions as president/GM.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Will the Josh Smith release mean that the Suns have more of a chance of getting the Laker's pick this year, simply because Detroit is now added to the teams tanking?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think Detroit is tanking. I think they must feel that J-Smoove is actively hurting their team and that they'll do better without him. Or something.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Miami could make some sense too since McBob is down and they play Bosh at C a lot.
That's a great suggestion and one I hadn't even considered.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

David Lee is back for the Warriors tonight.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:David Lee is back for the Warriors tonight.
About time! (says my fantasy league team)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Atlanta is knocking my socks off.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:Atlanta is knocking my socks off.
They're unreal. Bud's gotta be COY.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

They are a joy to watch, I've been a fan since last season and hated to see them lose against the Pacers in game 7.

With Horford last season they were 3rd in the East, and they are even better this year. Perfectly stablished system, perfect role players to implement it, two high caliber big men who play well together, no apparent flaw besides lack of a superstar. Could improve with one good SF and one scorer off the bench.

And what can you say about Korver. Somehow he has managed to make it so the odds are against you if you bet he misses a random three, at his volume. His gravitational pull has to be surpassed only by Durant and the likes. The Bulls made a terrible mistake letting him go.

carey

Post by carey »

GS crushed Sacramento. They are just playing effortless ball right now, it barely looked like they were trying. Reminds me so much of the Nash SSOL teams.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Atlanta is knocking my socks off.
They're unreal. Bud's gotta be COY.
No Jeff Teague? No problem. We'll just plug in a still somewhat raw Dennis Schroeder and can keep on rolling.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So much for our unrealistic hopes of stealing Horford from them.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

People forget that the Hawks were a top 3 seed in east before hortford went down last yr. Ferry actually did a good job putting that team together and shedding JJ's albatross contract.Bud was a great hire as well.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:People forget that the Hawks were a top 3 seed in east before hortford went down last yr.
I don't think anyone forgot; they just didn't care. At that point last season, no one looked impressive except Miami and Indiana. And then Indiana went in the tank.

This year has been different. Toronto, Atlanta, and to a lesser extent, Washington (inconsistency) and Chicago (injuries) have played like good teams, regardless of their conference.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

So they Lakers give Kobe the night off and they'd just sticking it to Golden State.

How funny is that?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I have always liked Lavoy Allen, but even I am surprised by his productivity and efficiency this year. He'd be a nice addition with the MLE in the offseason.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Kyle O'Quinn is shooting and making 3's. Didn't see that coming.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Atlanta continues to rebut the Leastern Conference narrative. They knocked off the Clippers tonight.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Oops:

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The Bobster wrote:So they Lakers give Kobe the night off and they'd just sticking it to Golden State.

How funny is that?
Even funnier when you realize they were led by former Sun Ronnie Price, who has taken the starting spot from Jeremy Lin, lol.