Suns News: Week 6 11/30-12/6

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Suns News: Week 6 11/30-12/6

Post by Shabazz »

And here. we. go.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/673727929487138816

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/673728300682842112

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

...take Markieff, please. <\Henny Youngman>
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oh yes please let it be true. I'm really hoping that on 12/15 we can send him packing.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not sure why the Rockets have interest in Kieff unless Morey's analytics are telling him something we don't know. They have Montijiunas and Terence Jones and toyed with Capela as the starting PF. I'd take back Jones for sure. Not sure they have much else. Capela's a nice young player but more of a backup 5 and we have Tyson and Len. Leuer and Teletovic are great 4s for us because they spread the floor which Jones would also be able to do. But then we'd have a bit of a logjam at the 4 spot. We don't need more players so much as we need to move guys like Keiff and PJ Tucker to open up time for TJ, Booker, Leuer and Teletovic.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Do you think Morey wants to pay Jones? I wouldn't, and if that's what the Rockets were to offer, I'd pass unless a third team takes him for something else.

The Rockets also have Dekker, KJ McDaniels and Montrezl Harrell.

Ty Lawson's contract (12M unguarenteed next year), McDaniels, Dekker, Harrell, 1stR pick for Kieff-Tucker-Teletovic works under the cap. This would also allow Morey to send Jones elsewhere for another piece, while preserving flexibility for next offseason.

Hopefully this rumor makes other FOs talk themselves into trading for Kieff. Washington, Toronto, Detroit, come on!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mmmmh while we are at it, what would Utah give up for Knight? Do the Bucks have seller's remorse? Wildest dream scenario: Sacto implodes, Cousins demands a trade to play with his buddy Bledsoe.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I still don't think Toronto makes sense. Washington could use him for sure. I wouldn't take back Lawson from the Rockets unless one of our guards were moving out. Dekker is out with back surgery but he'd be on my list.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Well, Lawson would be just salary filler so the Rockets can take our three guys, I don't think anyone wants him near the team. The Rockets can have Price too to take his place haha.

Btw, why not Toronto? They have a number of bodies, yet Scola is their top performer at PF as 2Pat has been terrible.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think because they have a lot of bodies, pretty much similar to Markeiff. Paterson, Scola, even James Johnson and Anthony Bennett. Maybe they value Markieff...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the case for trading for Markieff is, before this year he was quite an efficient PF on a very reasonable contract. His shooting percentage was great, and he was a great scorer in the clutch at the end of games. He was really a young PF on the rise. He went way south this year, but you could talk yourself into thinking that this is just because he's distraught about being "done dirty" by the Suns franchise. It is entirely possible that a change of scenery would bring back the "old" Markieff. If it would, then it's a complete steal. And if you can take the chance on him without giving up much, I think it's not a horrible idea for some team to give Markieff a try.

I'd absolutely trade Kieff for Terrence Jones. That is a great haul for him and I'd say yes in a heartbeat. I guess I'd take Motiejunas but less excited about him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't hold "the old" Markieff in such high regard. Below average rebounder for his position, not a shotblocking threat, not overly athletic, didn't have great size and wasn't much of a 1on1 positioal defender. Even his offense consisted of one-on-one jumpers. Good contract, but if that's your starting PF I'm not sure how far you're going.

Split T

Post by Split T »

All true, but his weaknesses are covered up playing next to Dwight or Drummond. They handle the rim protection and the boards

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:I don't hold "the old" Markieff in such high regard. Below average rebounder for his position, not a shotblocking threat, not overly athletic, didn't have great size and wasn't much of a 1on1 positioal defender. Even his offense consisted of one-on-one jumpers. Good contract, but if that's your starting PF I'm not sure how far you're going.
Yeah, I agree with all of that. Just to be clear, in my post making the case for trading for Markieff, I wasn't saying that he is actually good or that a team would be wise to trade for him. I was just describing the kind of thought process a team might go through that might convince them to make a trade to get Kieff. If I were another franchise I'd stay the heck away from him. :-)

carey

Post by carey »

I'll get today's news posts up in an hour or so. Just wanted to post that Dreamshake is saying the talks center around Jones. I would prefer D-Mo as he's an excellent passer on the block, has legit back-to-the-basket moves, and can shoot the 3 fairly well. I would consider including Goodwin and/or Tucker in the deal.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2015/12/7/ ... 1444495265
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

ShelC wrote:Not sure why the Rockets have interest in Kieff unless Morey's analytics are telling him something we don't know. They have Montijiunas and Terence Jones and toyed with Capela as the starting PF. I'd take back Jones for sure. Not sure they have much else. Capela's a nice young player but more of a backup 5 and we have Tyson and Len. Leuer and Teletovic are great 4s for us because they spread the floor which Jones would also be able to do. But then we'd have a bit of a logjam at the 4 spot. We don't need more players so much as we need to move guys like Keiff and PJ Tucker to open up time for TJ, Booker, Leuer and Teletovic.
Both TJones and DMo will need to get paid this summer. This is a simple matter of investment and return. Both are going to get more than Kieff makes. Keiff is interchangeable with each of them, maybe better than both of them and they get him long term for cheaper.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JCSunsfan wrote:
ShelC wrote:Not sure why the Rockets have interest in Kieff unless Morey's analytics are telling him something we don't know. They have Montijiunas and Terence Jones and toyed with Capela as the starting PF. I'd take back Jones for sure. Not sure they have much else. Capela's a nice young player but more of a backup 5 and we have Tyson and Len. Leuer and Teletovic are great 4s for us because they spread the floor which Jones would also be able to do. But then we'd have a bit of a logjam at the 4 spot. We don't need more players so much as we need to move guys like Keiff and PJ Tucker to open up time for TJ, Booker, Leuer and Teletovic.
Both TJones and DMo will need to get paid this summer. This is a simple matter of investment and return. Both are going to get more than Kieff makes. Keiff is interchangeable with each of them, maybe better than both of them and they get him long term for cheaper.
Better is subjective. Better how? When he actually wants to give effort? When he doesn't implode into a clubhouse cancer? I think the on paper (which doesn't look good this year) Markieff is a completely different player than the actual on court Markieff that actually has his own thought process and mentality, which is one of an immature thug. I don't think he'll ever be able to grow past that.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

AmareIsGod wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Better is subjective. Better how? When he actually wants to give effort? When he doesn't implode into a clubhouse cancer? I think the on paper (which doesn't look good this year) Markieff is a completely different player than the actual on court Markieff that actually has his own thought process and mentality, which is one of an immature thug. I don't think he'll ever be able to grow past that.
Normal Markieff is better than Jones or DMo in my opinion. I am not talking about sulking, not interested Markieff. But a team like Houston is going to be convinced that his problem is with the Suns and there is a good chance he will be back to his normal self with a new team. I am expecting that. Any trade we make with Markieff is going to look like the other team won by several weeks in. Not much that can be done about it.

So. Houston makes a deal for Markieff because they get a good deal and a more predictable salary structure moving forward.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marcus worked out this summer with the Rockets so by extension, Kieff did too. They know what they're getting and he'll be happier there.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:Marcus worked out this summer with the Rockets so by extension, Kieff did too. They know what they're getting and he'll be happier there.

And let's not forget that Houston is under a lot of pressure. They are failing pretty badly compared to what their fanbase expected this year. We don't have much, but we have some leverage. Don't just take back guys that want to get paid this summer if they actually are interested.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:I think the case for trading for Markieff is, before this year he was quite an efficient PF on a very reasonable contract. His shooting percentage was great, and he was a great scorer in the clutch at the end of games. He was really a young PF on the rise. He went way south this year, but you could talk yourself into thinking that this is just because he's distraught about being "done dirty" by the Suns franchise. It is entirely possible that a change of scenery would bring back the "old" Markieff. If it would, then it's a complete steal. And if you can take the chance on him without giving up much, I think it's not a horrible idea for some team to give Markieff a try.

I'd absolutely trade Kieff for Terrence Jones. That is a great haul for him and I'd say yes in a heartbeat. I guess I'd take Motiejunas but less excited about him.
This is pretty much exactly my thoughts on the situation.

I don't know much about Motiejunas' game so maybe he would be a better piece. He might also be a bit cheaper than Jones, who is such an injury-prone player, to the point where I'm not even sure the Suns trainers can help him. On the other hand Motiejunas has also not even seen the floor yet thanks to his own injury problems, so hmm.