Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Tournaments every 4 years. That's all.

carey

Post by carey »

Yep, I think that ankle needs a whole Summer off and there's a tourney every 2 years not 4, plus qualifying. Basically you play every Summer for some of these teams.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The way he keeps on twisting his ankle, it's clear that his ATFL and CTFL ligaments are severely damaged if not completely torn. Rehab via strengthening the tendon can only go so far, and I was hoping that he'd get the thing fixed for good via the Brostrom procedure, which is close to 100% effective. That would have been a 8-month rehab for a pro athlete.

I suppose that he won't take this route. Expect the Dragon to miss 10+ games next year. This would have happened whether or not he played this summer, it's just that his ankle is shot. Maybe next summer.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I can't imagine that he's agreed to play this summer on a "shot" ankle.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:Dragic has agreed to play for Slovenia this Summer. That does not make me happy.
That's not good news, but I can't blame or criticize him for doing so.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
carey wrote:Dragic has agreed to play for Slovenia this Summer. That does not make me happy.
That's not good news, but I can't blame or criticize him for doing so.
Agreed. As much as we like the Suns and want them to do well, when your country calls on you, you can't turn your back on them.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Again - next deal Dragic gets needs to have a provision in there prohibiting non-olympic national team play. At this rate, he'll likely be done in 5 years or less.....

SDC

Post by SDC »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
SDC wrote:
carey wrote:
In2ition wrote:i don't blame him. That is his country and those are his teammates and friends. I would have done the same thing, if I was him.
Would you still do it if your employer that pays you $8 Million dollars a year asked you not to and made those wishes publicly known on numerous occasions thereby stressing the fact they don't want you to play....
maybe if the suns paid him 10-12 mil, he might consider not playing
As long as they are guaranteed, it doesn't matter if its 5 or 10 or 30. The only way to discourage it would be to make a NBA season ending injury susceptible to void his contract or at least that year's payment. Then you would truly know how much the players really love their country. They could buy their own insurance policies if they wish.
of course he wouldnt play if that is the arrangement. no player would play for their country if that is what is stipulated in their contract. :roll:

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:I can't imagine that he's agreed to play this summer on a "shot" ankle.
I wish that were the case, but things aren't that simple with ankles. You can blow two ligaments and still be functional as long as you have strong tendons, the ankle just becomes prone to sprains. And that's exactly what we're seeing from Dragic. Doesn't mean that he can't play at a high level, it just becomes more and more injury prone.

I ripped one of the two ligaments doing an aerial kick when I was doing martial arts in high school, when I mis-landed on it. I did full-contact fighting all through college and a few years afterwards, played ultimate frisbee and did hard-core mountaineering. The sprains got worse and worse until one day, they just gave out of me at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Although advil and good hiking boots got me up, I started spraining that ankle once every couple of weeks just walking around, and finally had the surgery done.

Wish Singh were here to explain the details, but to make a long story short, I think that ankle's about 98% as good as new. Wish Dragic would just have the procedure done and stop being injury prone. The recovery time's about as long as one complete offseason plus a month or two.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Superbone wrote:I can't imagine that he's agreed to play this summer on a "shot" ankle.
I wish that were the case, but things aren't that simple with ankles. You can blow two ligaments and still be functional as long as you have strong tendons, the ankle just becomes prone to sprains. And that's exactly what we're seeing from Dragic. Doesn't mean that he can't play at a high level, it just becomes more and more injury prone.

I ripped one of the two ligaments doing an aerial kick when I was doing martial arts in high school, when I mis-landed on it. I did full-contact fighting all through college and a few years afterwards, played ultimate frisbee and did hard-core mountaineering. The sprains got worse and worse until one day, they just gave out of me at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Although advil and good hiking boots got me up, I started spraining that ankle once every couple of weeks just walking around, and finally had the surgery done.

Wish Singh were here to explain the details, but to make a long story short, I think that ankle's about 98% as good as new. Wish Dragic would just have the procedure done and stop being injury prone. The recovery time's about as long as one complete offseason plus a month or two.
Interesting info. Thanks.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Dragic seems to think he'll be in perfect shape for the World Cup:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... p/9617467/
Dragic said he has regained strength in his oft-injured ankles after a month of rest and will be in "perfect physical shape" for the World Cup, which is Aug. 30-Sept. 14 in Spain.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And in mediocre shape for the 2014-15 season. :|
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:And in mediocre shape for the 2014-15 season. :|
And breaking down during the final run for the playoffs. :(

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

No more non-olympic national team participation.....

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SwingMan wrote:No more non-olympic national team participation.....
International players tend to care a lot more about the World Championship than they do the Olympics.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:
International players tend to care a lot more about the World Championship than they do the Olympics.
I'm being nice - if it were up to me, there'd be NO national team participation. One you sign a contract, your responsibility is to that team & that team alone.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:And in mediocre shape for the 2014-15 season. :|
would have been worse if the suns made the playoffs this year.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:
I think they care about Olympics the most, like american players, but unlike them, the World and European tournaments are also of high interest. Which would be just fine if the schedule didn't make you play every summer.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm being nice - if it were up to me, there'd be NO national team participation. One you sign a contract, your responsibility is to that team & that team alone.
Dragic's contract doesn't say such a thing. And it matters a lot to him. I'm bummed that he's going and putting miles on his body, but there's nothing we can really do about it.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Not a fan of Dragic playing for the national team, but its his call.

I tend to side with Greg Popivich who has come out publicly before against his players participating in national team play. I think specifically when it came to Ginobili
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”