2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 Phoenix Suns Pick Watch

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:I LOVE Mikal, but I'm not sure I would trade up for a guy to play behind my 2 best guys. I'd be tempted, though.
Ya, there's not a great fit there for us. I'm not sure I would trade up either. I do think you can plug Bridges in pretty easy though. A lot depends on who we take with our first pick. If we take a non big (Porter, Doncic, young) I'd try and move up for Carter

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:Who would you take at 8?
I'd hope for Wendell Carter, but that's assuming Bamba makes the top7, which is not 100%.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
I'd hope for Wendell Carter, but that's assuming Bamba makes the top7, which is not 100%.
I forgot about Bamba, I guess there is a top 8. 8th pick would be a nice spot.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's really unlikely to happen, but I'm trying to figure out which team would actually do a trade. What team needs 2 players bad enough to role the dice? Maybe New York or maybe Cleveland, depending on who is left on the board when they pick. It would be much easier if Miami drops out of the playoffs. We would then have the #12 and #16 (presumably).

The Clippers and Sixers also both have multiple 1st round picks they could offer to move up.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Would probably have to be a team who sees a drop off at a certain point and thinks their 7,8,or 9th pick doesn't have much more value than 15.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’d love to package those two picks to get an established player. Or if we end up 4th overall, package one with it to move to top 2

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Kind of premature since we don't know if the Suns will have Milwaukee's pick or where their other two picks are going to fall.

Milwaukee's going to probably have to finish 7th in the East and with a worse record than all the West playoff teams in order for their pick to go to the Suns,
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm rooting for Detroit to leap both Miami and Milwaukee.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lakers are doing their job and beating Miami tonight. Lakers have been sneaky good since going on that 9 game losing streak. 15-7 since then. They are too far out to make a serious playoff push, but at least they're making that pick a late lottery one

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:Lakers are doing their job and beating Miami tonight. Lakers have been sneaky good since going on that 9 game losing streak. 15-7 since then. They are too far out to make a serious playoff push, but at least they're making that pick a late lottery one
It's still their pick so it'll jump up in the lottery.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Pistons play heat tonight, kind of a must win for Detroit if they want any hope of catching Miami. Magic vs Grizzlies, so one of them get a win. Kings also play jazz.

Memphis is my pick to finish with the worst record. I think bulls and nets look like they'll have the two best records of the tankers and that leaves Atlanta, Dallas, Sacramento, Orlando and us fighting over 2-6.

My best guess for final tank standings:

1. Memphis
2. Atlanta
3. Sacramento
4. Phoenix
5. Dallas
6. Orlando
7. Chicago
8. Brooklyn
9. New York

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If Atlanta and Memphis win tonight we are back to #1.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
I forgot about Bamba, I guess there is a top 8. 8th pick would be a nice spot.
You have Ayton, Doncic, Young, Bagley, Porter, Bamba, Jackson. But sneaking up into that group are Carter and Mikal Bridges. Early in the season it was a top 5 players above the rest. Then Young jumped in and it was 6. Then JJJ started turning heads and it was 7. Now I think its 9.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

That loss yesterday was so so important. As of tonight, we are in pole position to end up with the worst record as we head into the final stretch of the season. We currently have a 2 game lead on Atlanta, Brooklyn, and Sacramento who are all tied in the 4-6 spots with 44 losses.

Cap

Post by Cap »

n4th4n wrote:That loss yesterday was so so important. As of tonight, we are in pole position to end up with the worst record as we head into the final stretch of the season. We currently have a 2 game lead on Atlanta, Brooklyn, and Sacramento who are all tied in the 4-6 spots with 44 losses.
Memphis is still below us by percentage points.

Suns 19-47, .288
Grizz 18-45, .286

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
3rdside wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote: I don't get the reservation. There is nothing non-nba about his body or athleticism. He has speed, a vast array of post moves, he shoots well out to the 3 point line, he rebounds at a good rate and that will translate. He also blocks shots at a good rate, not a Mo Bamba rate, but for Bamba that is nearly his whole game. The only knock on Ayton is his lack of motivating on D at times.
I don't think he's trash, I'm just not a believer.

He seems to me like any one of the dozens of centers taken high in the draft based on college achievements and physical measurements who turn out to be ok nba players. The best things about him are his size and post play, and the worst things are his IQ and competitiveness? Plus, he just looks older than his listed age. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 3 or 4 years older than listed.

The vast majority of his scoring comes from lobs and putbacks. Both of those are nice skills, but you can't build a team around them.

Good post skills. Nobody plays through the post anymore.

His shot is ok when he has lots of time to shoot it, but I just don't feel like it will translate well to the NBA. NBA closeouts are brutal compared to the college game.

Can he pass to cutters or out of a hard double team? Yeah, I think he can pass, but I don't think he's a transcendent passer.

His rebounding is excellent, and I think he will continue to be a very good rebounder.

His defensive mobility is excellent.

His motivation is questionable. He gets a lot of easy(for him) stuff in college. Does he have enough fight in him to really dominate the NBA? I think he's too nonchalant.

His HoopsIQ is... I don't want to say it's in question, because I haven't seen him screw up a complicated play. But I also haven't seen him improvise too much to make good plays. He stays in his lane and just does the simple thing. That can be a good quality in a role player.

At best, I think he's Tyson Chandler with a bit of a jumper - pretty nice, eh? At worst, I think he's Greg Oden.
Respect right there - my same initial reservations of ayton laid out better than I ever would have expressed them before i fell into line with popular opinion.

Looked old and I was tempted to write he possibly looks like an injury waiting to happen, with absolutely nothing to back that up other than to say the dude looks top heavy with skinny legs (although he leg presses 900lbs fwiw).

And the attitude concerns are valid - he wants to go number one, which is a positive, but everything else like you say suggests he’s a cruiser. Doncic with Petrovic drive would arguably be more appealing:

http://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/22 ... legacy-nba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, leg pressing 900 lbs would concern me. I leg press 900 lbs and I am 5-8 and in my 50's. My son leg pressed 1200 lbs in high school.
#HumbleBrag
Didnt mean for it to sound that way. Believe me, I am no big deal in my gym.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
n4th4n wrote:That loss yesterday was so so important. As of tonight, we are in pole position to end up with the worst record as we head into the final stretch of the season. We currently have a 2 game lead on Atlanta, Brooklyn, and Sacramento who are all tied in the 4-6 spots with 44 losses.

Suns 19-47, .288
Grizz 18-45, .286
Yeah. It's not the losses, it's the wins.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:

Suns 19-47, .288
Grizz 18-45, .286
Yeah. It's not the losses, it's the wins.
The toughest games Memphis plays from here on out are two games against Portland and Minnesota and one each against Oklahoma City, New Orleans and Utah. The Suns have three against Golden State, and one each against Houston, Boston, Cleveland, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Utah and the Clippers. So the Suns are definitely at an "advantage" schedule-wise. The Suns have one home game against a fellow tanker (Sacramento) and two on the road (Orlando and Dallas), Memphis has two at home (Chicago and Sacramento) and three on the road (Chicago, Dallas, Brooklyn).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Winning percentage of remaining opponents -

Suns - .564
Hawks - .549
Kings - .519
Nets - .505
Mavericks - .483
Grizzlies - .480
Magic - .474
Bulls - .462

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:Winning percentage of remaining opponents -

Suns - .564
Hawks - .549
Kings - .519
Nets - .505
Mavericks - .483
Grizzlies - .480
Magic - .474