All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:26 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:29 pm
TOO wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:08 pm
Who has a better year this year, Jalen Duren or Deandre Ayton?

Duren is the kind of big Monty likes.
I feel bad for Duren. He’ll never reach his full potential under Monty.
Jeremy, you’re the HC of Suns. WWYD with Ayton this next season?
What do you mean? As far as being part of the offensive system?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:40 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

Like what is it that you'd do differently than Monty... besides everything. Are you waking up in the morning to call him to see how he slept every night? Taking him out for ice cream? Seriously... What is it that you'd do differently? It's easy to critique others but coming up with a solution isn't so easy.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:22 am
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

Like what is it that you'd do differently than Monty... besides everything. Are you waking up in the morning to call him to see how he slept every night? Taking him out for ice cream? Seriously... What is it that you'd do differently? It's easy to critique others but coming up with a solution isn't so easy.
It's pretty simple. Don't pick favorites (cough cough Shamet) and don't put Ayton in the doghouse. Just because Jeremy takes things to an extreme doesn't mean that you should bait him like this. He has a point.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:12 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:57 am
^ Monty called timeout immediately after that play and told Duren he is absolutely NOT allowed to showcase his offense like that again. EVER. Sent his ass straight to the bench, made a comment about his mother, too.
Made me think of this song playing with a ayton video clip….
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
Trivia: this song is actually by a brazilian called Maurício Alberto (Morris Albert), when it was common for brazilian singers to adopt a name for the international market.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Kryptonic wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

He has to be put to bed, or he'll pass the night playing 2k.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:26 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
^ Monty called timeout immediately after that play and told Duren he is absolutely NOT allowed to showcase his offense like that again. EVER. Sent his ass straight to the bench, made a comment about his mother, too.
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
Trivia: this song is actually by a brazilian called Maurício Alberto (Morris Albert), when it was common for brazilian singers to adopt a name for the international market.
Brazilian music trivia from my fellow guitar player in Brazil. I saw the post and knew it was from you before looking. 👍🏼

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

Yeah.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
I absolutely love Brazilian jazz. Been listening to Jobim all morning.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:32 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Kryptonic wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
I absolutely love Brazilian jazz. Been listening to Jobim all morning.
Nice! I recently discovered bossanova music for myself and it’s just taken me away to another place playing guitar. So much great samba and bossanova stuff to listen too.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:48 am
Kryptonic wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

It's pretty simple. Don't pick favorites (cough cough Shamet) and don't put Ayton in the doghouse. Just because Jeremy takes things to an extreme doesn't mean that you should bait him like this. He has a point.
Sorry your took my post as “bait”…. It was meant in jest.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

Yeah.
I would play him 36 minutes per game. So probably the first 9 minutes of each half and the last 9 minutes of the second and fourth quarters. I would get the ball to him early in each quarter’s stint (post ups for hook shots, PNR, pick n pop, drive & kick/dump, etc.). Go to him 2-3 times right away to get him going each quarter. That right there would be close to 8-12 shots (allowing for a TO or two, perhaps a trip to the FT line), plus whatever comes in the flow of the game or offensive putbacks in addition to that (12 FGA per game is his career average). Perhaps run a play or two for him in crunch time as well if we need a high percentage shot near the basket. This could easily result in a career high scoring average (or at the very least keep him near his career average while making him feel more a part of the offense than in the past), without him having to be a top option on offense for most of the game (leaving that to the “big 3”), and would help keep him more engaged on defense and rebounding since you start off by feeding him the ball each quarter (and not just in the first quarter and then stop). And it’s defense and rebounding where he will be the most valuable for us with our current roster—which Vogel understands and I’m confident he will help him reach his full potential on that end of the floor.

All of that is assuming that he hasn’t improved into one of our top three offensive players. But if I were head coach, I would set him up with an offseason program for him to develop his offensive arsenal further.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:32 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Yeah.
I would play him 36 minutes per game. So probably the first 9 minutes of each half and the last 9 minutes of the second and fourth quarters. I would get the ball to him early in each quarter’s stint (post ups for hook shots, PNR, pick n pop, drive & kick/dump, etc.). Go to him 2-3 times right away to get him going each quarter. That right there would be close to 8-12 shots (allowing for a TO or two, perhaps a trip to the FT line), plus whatever comes in the flow of the game or offensive putbacks in addition to that (12 FGA per game is his career average). Perhaps run a play or two for him in crunch time as well if we need a high percentage shot near the basket. This could easily result in a career high scoring average (or at the very least keep him near his career average while making him feel more a part of the offense than in the past), without him having to be a top option on offense for most of the game (leaving that to the “big 3”), and would help keep him more engaged on defense and rebounding since you start off by feeding him the ball each quarter (and not just in the first quarter and then stop). And it’s defense and rebounding where he will be the most valuable for us with our current roster—which Vogel understands and I’m confident he will help him reach his full potential on that end of the floor.

All of that is assuming that he hasn’t improved into one of our top three offensive players. But if I were head coach, I would set him up with an offseason program for him to develop his offensive arsenal further.
I hope these come to fruition. And I hope he feasts down low and is working on his game this summer. Life’s not going to be any easier than playing alongside kd, book, and beal.
This is a make or break year for Ayton.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:55 am
We've discussed this. Stone is strong, it's tough. Ayton has no stone in him. He has spaghetti hands.
I said stoned hands , not stone

He’s high AF all the time

JNix

Post by JNix »

Im sure they've come up with multiple offseason programs for Ayton. Im sure they've tried to show him that he can dunk. Im sure theyv'e tried to develop low post moves.

Its year 5....at what year do you say, Ok, this is who he is. Not to mention his college tape shows the same things.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JNix wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:03 am
Im sure they've come up with multiple offseason programs for Ayton. Im sure they've tried to show him that he can dunk. Im sure theyv'e tried to develop low post moves.

Its year 5....at what year do you say, Ok, this is who he is. Not to mention his college tape shows the same things.
No sir, it's Montys fault.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JNix wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:03 am
Im sure they've tried to show him that he can dunk.
This is getting so old. It's as if Ayton haters have such selective memories that they can't remember any of the 110 made dunks from Ayton last season.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Ayton's 110 dunks not only led the team, but he had more dunks than the next 3 closest Suns players combined:

Landale: 42
Biyombo: 42
Okogie: 25
=109 dunks

And that's 3,203 combined minutes vs. Ayton's 2,035 minutes. Ayton had more dunks per minute than either Landale or Biyombo.

In the entire NBA, Ayton ranked 13th among centers in made dunks last season, and 18th overall among all players in the league.

What's even more hilarious is that everyone wants to trade him for Carter who had 84 dunks or Turner who had 67 dunks (both were also fewer per game and fewer per minute than Ayton).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's the biggest guy on the team who was fed touches within 10 feet of the rim, but still only middle of the pack among Centers (who matter) in the league when it comes to dunks. Strange how you didn't mention FTA as well.

Sure, Turner dunks less, but he can also shoot from 25-feet out. Ayton looks like he's throwing a two handed discus from anything beyond 20-feet.

I honestly can't believe you bolded being 13th among Centers in the league in dunks as if that's a merit for Ayton. Are you intentionally being goofy?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:58 am
He's the biggest guy on the team who was fed touches within 10 feet of the rim, but still only middle of the pack among Centers (who matter) in the league when it comes to dunks. Strange how you didn't mention FTA as well.

Sure, Turner dunks less, but he can also shoot from 25-feet out. Ayton looks like he's throwing a two handed discus from anything beyond 20-feet.

I honestly can't believe you bolded being 13th among Centers in the league in dunks as if that's a merit for Ayton. Are you intentionally being goofy?
That's because listening to Ayton haters you would think he is 45th among centers. Or 95th.

And yet 17 teams wish they had a center who dunked as much as Ayton does.

Dunking is not the end-all-be-all stat for centers (which you seem to recognize all of the sudden when it comes to Turner). Nothing wrong with being ranked 13th--it shows he's not a non-dunking entity like everyone tries to claim. And again, you all want centers who are ranked way lower instead!

(BTW, many of those centers have more dunks simply because that's all they can do--they can't shoot.)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I said I wouldn't, but here I am.

My name is Flagrant Fowl and I have a problem.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.