2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am
But Anderson managed to start 50 games last season for the team with the best record in the league.
Which says more about the Paul-Harden-Capela trio than it does about Anderson's effectiveness.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:24 am

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1035555334277005312

This made the deal a little more palatable.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:50 pm
Maybe Anderson will be rejuvenated by playing fewer minutes. It’s hard to believe he’s ready for pasture at 30.
It's not if you followed the Rockets all season. He's been a disappointment from day one, even though he has been playing in a system and with players that are perfect for getting the best out of him.

Still, maybe the Suns can find a way to rejuvenate him. It won't have anything to do with minutes played though. It will have to be on the training and coaching staff.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:41 pm
So how do we feel about going into the season depending on a couple of second-round picks who have never played an NBA game? Can we afford to start the season that way, or is bringing in a proven PG mandatory?
Ultimately, I don't think it matters.

I think it is idiotic to make piss poor decisions for three seasons and then in one offseason, featuring a very weak free agent class, everyone decides to make a run at the playoffs.

We can fret about the PG position, but if we see more of Summer League Josh, and Ayton doesn't look like a "generational talent" in his first year, then having a proven point guard this season doesn't really matter.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:18 pm
Cap wrote:
So how do we feel about going into the season depending on a couple of second-round picks who have never played an NBA game? Can we afford to start the season that way, or is bringing in a proven PG mandatory?

I think it is idiotic to make piss poor decisions for three seasons and then in one offseason, featuring a very weak free agent class, everyone decides to make a run at the playoffs.

We can fret about the PG position, but if we see more of Summer League Josh, and Ayton doesn't look like a "generational talent" in his first year, then having a proven point guard this season doesn't really matter.
Maybe you are right and the Suns are closer to a dumpster fire than a decent team, but I think they are going to surprise everyone. I think the additions and additions by subtraction will improve this team. I was hopeful on Knight this season, but as of right now, I'm excited to see what Harrison, Okobo and Melton can do. If they can improve their jumper and distribution skills, the defense should be what the doctor ordered next to Booker. I know Anderson hasn't looked all that great last year, but he is immediately better than Bender and upgrades out pf position, which was a concern going into the season. IMO, they upgraded/improved every position including bench. Right now, it looks like there is a log jam at sf, but I'm betting that Ariza is the backup pf. I also think that Jackson and/or Bridges will be able to get minutes at sg too.

It still looks like a trade for a PG could still happen and it's possible that one of the SFs and young PGs could be sent in a deal. I can't justify or back every deal that McD made in past three years, but to bag on him at every moment doesn't seem exactly fair either.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:

INFO - Who ends up with the better record:

Dallas or Phoenix ?

My money is on Dallas

If Ayton flames out and Josh sucks I cannot wait for the spin from the McDonough lovers.

It is a shame that I am not really excited about our pick in this years draft. I am hoping for the best but, like you, I was less than impressed with his summer league play.

If Canaan is healthy enough he will be the starting point guard come opening night.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:10 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:

Maybe you are right and the Suns are closer to a dumpster fire than a decent team, but I think they are going to surprise everyone. I think the additions and additions by subtraction will improve this team. I was hopeful on Knight this season, but as of right now, I'm excited to see what Harrison, Okobo and Melton can do. If they can improve their jumper and distribution skills, the defense should be what the doctor ordered next to Booker. I know Anderson hasn't looked all that great last year, but he is immediately better than Bender and upgrades out pf position, which was a concern going into the season. IMO, they upgraded/improved every position including bench. Right now, it looks like there is a log jam at sf, but I'm betting that Ariza is the backup pf. I also think that Jackson and/or Bridges will be able to get minutes at sg too.

It still looks like a trade for a PG could still happen and it's possible that one of the SFs and young PGs could be sent in a deal. I can't justify or back every deal that McD made in past three years, but to bag on him at every moment doesn't seem exactly fair either.
the only think mcdo got right in the last 3 years was to select ayton over luka.

as for the suns 2019 season, it'll probably be another wasted season until they get a decent PG.
Last edited by SDC on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:

Dallas or Phoenix ?

My money is on Dallas

If Ayton flames out and Josh sucks I cannot wait for the spin from the McDonough lovers.

It is a shame that I am not really excited about our pick in this years draft. I am hoping for the best but, like you, I was less than impressed with his summer league play.

If Canaan is healthy enough he will be the starting point guard come opening night.
i think mcdo will overpay to get his pg. if you think sending the miami pick to philly was bad...

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:

unfair to ayton because centers rely on point guards--the players who control the offense and distribute the ball-- and phoenix doesnt have anybody to do that.

the worst case scenario is ayton looks like a disinterested hassan whiteside, after he got his money.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I want to see Point Book in Igors' offense. Melton and Bridges/Melton/Okobo could be an ideal group to pair with him in the backcourt if Booker can improve his ball handling and decision making at the position.

If it's just not working out, then fine, try to make a move. But these reports about making a playoff push are bullshit. This team has no business trying to do that in the Western Conference this year, so don't kill future leverage and health of individual players just to get bounced out early on the extremely remote chance they made it into the playoffs.

30-35 wins this year with positive player development and then we'll start looking at the playoffs. Stay the course.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I forgot that the season is starting 2weeks earlier in mid October so that Training Camp is only like 3weeks away
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

As of right now, I look forward to watching Harrison and Melton wear out the opposing PG with 94 ft of relentless defense.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:50 am
As of right now, I look forward to watching Harrison and Melton wear out the opposing PG with 94 ft of relentless defense.
Plus Okobo. And in contrast to having to watch Knight try to resurrect his career. Sounds amazing to me.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Without a real PG, there is absolutely no way that this team challenges for a playoff spot. But I don't think the answer is to overpay for a veteran PG, either. If one is available cheap, fine, but patience is a virtue in this case.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:10 pm
I know Anderson hasn't looked all that great last year, but he is immediately better than Bender and upgrades out pf position, which was a concern going into the season. IMO, they upgraded/improved every position including bench. Right now, it looks like there is a log jam at sf, but I'm betting that Ariza is the backup pf.

Cap wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:50 pm
Maybe Anderson will be rejuvenated by playing fewer minutes. It’s hard to believe he’s ready for pasture at 30.
A lot of people are saying stuff like this, and I feel like I saw completely different games than you guys. Anderson STUNK last year, and he really wasn't good the year before, either. Surrounded by one of the best teams in the NBA, and he still didn't look good. He might look even worse on the Suns. At this point, I don't think he could guard Shaq Oneal on the perimeter or Tyler Ulis at the basket. I'm sorry to be so harsh on the guy, but I think his reputation is better than his actual play.

Bender, on the other hand, actively tried to play defense, even when he was the only on on court making an effort. He certainly didn't lock anybody down, but he at least made opposing players make a play to beat him. I think he will be even better next season with good coaching, another off season of physical development, and better defenders on court with him.

Statistically, the only areas in which Anderson was better than Bender were: shooting (he was marginally better despite being vastly more open), drawing fouls, and offensive rebounding. Bender is a better creator and passer than Anderson ever was, was a better defensive rebounder, and a better shot blocker. Of course, Bender was healthy and got a little better as the season went on, whereas Anderson was injured and basically sat out the playoffs.

As for Anderson being done at this age, he has missed 20 or more games 8 out of 10 seasons in the NBA. His body just looks done. If he has a healthy / productive season, the training staff deserves a raise. Remember, this is the same age that we picked up Dudley.

Anderson may be our starter opening night, but I doubt he will be our starter by the end of the season.

To me, the trade is a lateral move from a salary perspective, greatly improves our locker room, and brings in a nice prospect. Anything Anderson does on the court is a bonus.
Last edited by O_Gardino on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am
Without a real PG, there is absolutely no way that this team challenges for a playoff spot. But I don't think the answer is to overpay for a veteran PG, either. If one is available cheap, fine, but patience is a virtue in this case.
Couldn't agree more.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Is anyone actually buying that we are a playoff contender? Come on. Worst offensive and defensive team last season. But being back to respectability should be attainable.

Regarding Anderson, 15-18 minutes per game is all I am expecting out of him. He may be the 'starter', but I don't think we'll see him getting actual starter playing time. No need to get mad about him, imo. He is here just because Knight was as untradeable as him. To me he is basically the same than acquiring the likes of Noah, Mozgov or Deng, only that Anderson can have a small role on this roster.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Dallas or Phoenix ?

My money is on Dallas
I don't know. I'm not crazy about the Mavericks roster. I think the Suns have more talent, but the Mavericks roster is constructed better. I don't think it is a given that the Mavs are better. I don't know how good Doncic and Ayton will be in year one. And Dennis Smith Jr. has to figure out how to shoot consistently at the pro level.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:50 am
Yeah, I'm actually hoping we don't make a move for a point guard, unless it is an early preview of TJ McConnell or Malcolm Brogdon. I honestly would start Canaan, unless he looks awful in the preseason.

I feel we should just be patient. We should look to acquire Brogdon, Dinwiddie, or McConnell in the offseason.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Depending on the offense, we might be able to get by with young guys who play within themselves, play hard on defense and can knock down an open shot. If Booker and Ayton are 1-2 on offense and Jackson/Ariza/Miles/Warren are the 3rd and 4th options, then let the PG stand and shoot. If we're intent on running a heavy PnR offense where the PG is handling the ball most of the time, then yea, we're screwed.

Teodosic might just be available.