2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:29 am
I want to see Point Book in Igors' offense. Melton and Bridges/Melton/Okobo could be an ideal group to pair with him in the backcourt if Booker can improve his ball handling and decision making at the position.

If it's just not working out, then fine, try to make a move. But these reports about making a playoff push are bullshit. This team has no business trying to do that in the Western Conference this year, so don't kill future leverage and health of individual players just to get bounced out early on the extremely remote chance they made it into the playoffs.

30-35 wins this year with positive player development and then we'll start looking at the playoffs. Stay the course.
Yeah but Booker is coming into the season with plans to make the playoffs and chew bubble gum and he's all out of bubble gum.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:36 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I want to see Point Book in Igors' offense. Melton and Bridges/Melton/Okobo could be an ideal group to pair with him in the backcourt if Booker can improve his ball handling and decision making at the position.

If it's just not working out, then fine, try to make a move. But these reports about making a playoff push are bullshit. This team has no business trying to do that in the Western Conference this year, so don't kill future leverage and health of individual players just to get bounced out early on the extremely remote chance they made it into the playoffs.

30-35 wins this year with positive player development and then we'll start looking at the playoffs. Stay the course.
Yeah but Booker is coming into the season with plans to make the playoffs and chew bubble gum and he's all out of bubble gum.
He just signed a $156 million contract is extension. If we miss the playoffs, at least he can afford all the bubble gum he wants.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:28 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:50 am
As of right now, I look forward to watching Harrison and Melton wear out the opposing PG with 94 ft of relentless defense.
Yeah, I'm actually hoping we don't make a move for a point guard, unless it is an early preview of TJ McConnell or Malcolm Brogdon. I honestly would start Canaan, unless he looks awful in the preseason.
Hmmm, I'm not feeling Canaan. I think he gets cut before the season starts, and I don't understand your favor in him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:28 am
In2ition wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:10 pm
I know Anderson hasn't looked all that great last year, but he is immediately better than Bender and upgrades out pf position, which was a concern going into the season. IMO, they upgraded/improved every position including bench. Right now, it looks like there is a log jam at sf, but I'm betting that Ariza is the backup pf.

Cap wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:50 pm
Maybe Anderson will be rejuvenated by playing fewer minutes. It’s hard to believe he’s ready for pasture at 30.
A lot of people are saying stuff like this, and I feel like I saw completely different games than you guys. Anderson STUNK last year, and he really wasn't good the year before, either. Surrounded by one of the best teams in the NBA, and he still didn't look good. He might look even worse on the Suns. At this point, I don't think he could guard Shaq Oneal on the perimeter or Tyler Ulis at the basket. I'm sorry to be so harsh on the guy, but I think his reputation is better than his actual play.

Bender, on the other hand, actively tried to play defense, even when he was the only on on court making an effort. He certainly didn't lock anybody down, but he at least made opposing players make a play to beat him. I think he will be even better next season with good coaching, another off season of physical development, and better defenders on court with him.

Statistically, the only areas in which Anderson was better than Bender were: shooting (he was marginally better despite being vastly more open), drawing fouls, and offensive rebounding. Bender is a better creator and passer than Anderson ever was, was a better defensive rebounder, and a better shot blocker. Of course, Bender was healthy and got a little better as the season went on, whereas Anderson was injured and basically sat out the playoffs.

As for Anderson being done at this age, he has missed 20 or more games 8 out of 10 seasons in the NBA. His body just looks done. If he has a healthy / productive season, the training staff deserves a raise. Remember, this is the same age that we picked up Dudley.

Anderson may be our starter opening night, but I doubt he will be our starter by the end of the season.

To me, the trade is a lateral move from a salary perspective, greatly improves our locker room, and brings in a nice prospect. Anything Anderson does on the court is a bonus.
I hope that Anderson loses his starting position, but not because he sucks, but because someone stepped up big time and took the job.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:17 am
JustWinBaby wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:13 pm

INFO - Who ends up with the better record:

Dallas or Phoenix ?

My money is on Dallas
I don't know. I'm not crazy about the Mavericks roster. I think the Suns have more talent, but the Mavericks roster is constructed better. I don't think it is a given that the Mavs are better. I don't know how good Doncic and Ayton will be in year one. And Dennis Smith Jr. has to figure out how to shoot consistently at the pro level.
I like the construction of the Mavs, as they don't have a glaring hole at any one position in the starting lineup, but I also think they are constructed in a different way for a different style of play than the Suns. The only thing that clearly sticks out right now for the Suns is an established starting PG, imo.

Harrison/Okobo/Melton
Booker/Bridges/Reed/King
Ariza/Warren/Jackson/Bridges
Anderson/Ariza/Bender
Ayton/Chandler/Holmes/Bender

Obviously, there are a lot of question marks with the young guys and we need to see a few of them make the leap. Hopefully, at least one of them does just that.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
As of right now, I look forward to watching Harrison and Melton wear out the opposing PG with 94 ft of relentless defense.
Yeah, I'm actually hoping we don't make a move for a point guard, unless it is an early preview of TJ McConnell or Malcolm Brogdon. I honestly would start Canaan, unless he looks awful in the preseason.
Hmmm, I'm not feeling Canaan. I think he gets cut before the season starts, and I don't understand your favor in him.
Good shooter, takes care of the basketball, plays within himself.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am
Without a real PG, there is absolutely no way that this team challenges for a playoff spot. But I don't think the answer is to overpay for a veteran PG, either. If one is available cheap, fine, but patience is a virtue in this case.
no way this team is projected to win more than 30 games. and if that is the case, this team is going to start tanking by midseason.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The tank talk can be retired.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

He just signed a $156 million contract is extension. If we miss the playoffs, at least he can afford all the bubble gum he wants.
too bad booky wont be able to deliver on his threat/promise.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:17 pm
the temptation is still there in the form of the suns 2019 first round pick

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
The tank talk can be put on indefinite hiatus, but it remains on call. It’s naive to think we’re ready to retire it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

True dat! :D

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:40 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
He may very well be Canaan fodder as we have a glut of young guards. However, he's the most experienced of the bunch. That may factor in. Right now we have way too many for our roster so it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thank you.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:48 pm
INFORMER wrote:
The tank talk can be put on indefinite hiatus, but it remains on call. It’s naive to think we’re ready to retire it.
The truth hurts.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Is Dallas planning to run Doncic at starting PG with Smith Jr as SG? What is their projected starting 5? Doncic-Smith-Barnes-Nowitski-Jordan? Bench of JJ Barea, Wes Matthews, Dwight Powell, Greek Freak's brother, and a few others?

Hmm. Wow. I opened up their roster page expecting to say what trash they are. But I kind of like that team better than ours. Dirk is probably pretty much done, so they have a big hole at PF, but otherwise I like their mix of players pretty well. And with Doncic running their offense I bet they are sneaky good and overachieve. Jordan should play well with Luka. That might be a sneaky fun team to watch on League Pass. Not a playoff team but maybe surprisingly decent and competitive and entertaining.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea they'll be better than us. Probably the same level of talent but it fits better and Carlisle is still there coaching. I don't know if DSJ can play off the ball effectively but he and Doncic will share backcourt duties. They can go small with Barnes at the PF, which is more or less the norm for a guy like him. He played PF 60% of the time last year so that could go up, especially with DAJ at the 5 now. Wes Matthews or Finney-Smith plays SF.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Dallas is underwhelming to me. They may be better than us, but I'd put that more on us not being quite ready. I think Dallas is a 30-35 win team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't get all this fretting over the team. We essentially will be very close in style to the '16-'17 Rockets squad. I have a ton of faith in Igor, who took a Slovenian team that was projected to place 7th at best in the Euro cup to an undefeated and Euro cup championship. He already has a reputation of forming a strategy and style conducive to the roster he has. Even in summer league his squad took it to teams, and we haven't even talked about his rep at developing players to fill their roles. I still think there is another move to be made prior to the season yet to fill the PG role with a competent vet, but word is that Harrison has been developing nicely.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

SDC wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:19 pm
INFORMER wrote:
the temptation is still there in the form of the suns 2019 first round pick
Well then, let's trade it away unprotected for a good point guard. Will that get rid of it?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.