Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by INFORMER »

Paul Coro wrote:Today's #Suns workout: MSU G K. Appling, UWGB C A. Brown, Nevada G D. Burton, Russia C A. Klimenko, SJU F J. Sampson, Marquette F J. Wilson.

Paul Coro wrote:Today's #Suns workout: ASU G J. Carson, Florida F P. Young, NDSU G T. Braun, PSU G T. Frazier, Stanford F J. Huestis, Baylor F C. Jefferson.

I think this news has appeared in other threads, but since it is Suns news, I posted it here.

The interesting thing about Alec Brown is that he was once thought of as a potential lotto pick, which was silly. He's never been able to dominate smaller players and lesser competition, but he was one of those guys people thought oozed potential. At the end of his career, he is what he is: a 7-footer who can really shoot the ball but lacks toughness and can't rebound. He did average 3.1 bpg, but they may not translate to the pro level. If it can, I think he becomes a valuable role player.

I think he's a worthwhile second rounder.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

So you like Channing Frye enough to grab another one?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Alec Brown doesn't cost $6 million. And Frye's days may be numbered.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Yes this true, but personally I'm tired of PF's who rebound like WNBA PG's.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:
I'm being nice - if it were up to me, there'd be NO national team participation. One you sign a contract, your responsibility is to that team & that team alone.
Dragic's contract doesn't say such a thing. And it matters a lot to him. I'm bummed that he's going and putting miles on his body, but there's nothing we can really do about it.
Well duh - I know it doesn't say such a thing, but it should. The team you signed with is the one who made an investment in you - they aren't paying for a player to get worn down by someone else to miss games for them.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Yes this true, but personally I'm tired of PF's who rebound like WNBA PG's.
I can understand that. But I do thinks it's good to have a role player at the 4 or 5 that can hit the long ball. It doesn't mean he has to get the lion share of the minutes or even start.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:
I'm being nice - if it were up to me, there'd be NO national team participation. One you sign a contract, your responsibility is to that team & that team alone.
Dragic's contract doesn't say such a thing. And it matters a lot to him. I'm bummed that he's going and putting miles on his body, but there's nothing we can really do about it.
if you think that's bad, look at luis suarez (the football player of the year in the EPL this year.) he just had knee surgery a week ago, but he still plans to go brandon roy and play for uruguay in the world cup finals beginning june 12. should liverpool be worried?

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... n-the-air/

on the other hand, IT IS THE WORLD CUP. fiba championships and the olympic basketball arent as important or prestigious.

the one positive i see from dragic is that he is underpaid, so it's no big loss if the suns lose him, especially if bledsoe is extended.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

"I'm sad that we're finishing the season, but at the same time, I need a break," (Dragic) told reporters in April. "My body, I was falling apart the last couple of games."

In addition to the minutes played, Dragic dealt with a number of bumps and bruises, missing a total of six games, five for a left ankle sprain and one for a right ankle sprain; not to mention the games he perhaps should not have played in because of his ankles, midsection or times he was hit in the head.

All the "dings and bruises and sprains, those have healed" according to McDonough.

"We're going to work with the Slovenian Federation to come up with a program that makes sense for him and for us as well," he said. "We're obviously going to encourage him to play, but at the same time, we want to be respectful about how minutes he played this year and what kind of shape we'd like him to be in coming into the season next year to try to preserve his body for the year next year as well."

The hope, continued McDonough, is that Dragic does not play in all the exhibition games, limits his practice time and "just really (focuses) on getting ready for the actual World Cup in Spain," which runs August 30 through September 14.
http://www.arizonasports.com/41/1736347 ... r-him-team

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Maybe McDonough is more like you INF than you think:
Phoenix will continue conducting workouts all the way to the draft, and they expect to be busy with most every player on the board theoretically available to them. McDonough certainly isn’t complaining about owning the 14th, 18th, 27th and 50th selections.

“I think it’s more fun,” he said. “I’d like to have all 30 if we could, I haven’t found a way to do that.”
http://valleyofthesuns.com/2014/05/27/n ... te-burton/
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
"I'm sad that we're finishing the season, but at the same time, I need a break," (Dragic) told reporters in April. "My body, I was falling apart the last couple of games."

In addition to the minutes played, Dragic dealt with a number of bumps and bruises, missing a total of six games, five for a left ankle sprain and one for a right ankle sprain; not to mention the games he perhaps should not have played in because of his ankles, midsection or times he was hit in the head.

All the "dings and bruises and sprains, those have healed" according to McDonough.

"We're going to work with the Slovenian Federation to come up with a program that makes sense for him and for us as well," he said. "We're obviously going to encourage him to play, but at the same time, we want to be respectful about how minutes he played this year and what kind of shape we'd like him to be in coming into the season next year to try to preserve his body for the year next year as well."

The hope, continued McDonough, is that Dragic does not play in all the exhibition games, limits his practice time and "just really (focuses) on getting ready for the actual World Cup in Spain," which runs August 30 through September 14.
http://www.arizonasports.com/41/1736347 ... r-him-team
yup. how are the suns gonna trade dragic for love if he's injured.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If the Suns wanted to, they could add 4 high-level contributors from this draft alone. I can't stress enough how much talent is in this draft. Will these guys do it from day one? No. But going the instant gratification route has never led to a championship.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:If the Suns wanted to, they could add 4 high-level contributors from this draft alone. I can't stress enough how much talent is in this draft. Will these guys do it from day one? No. But going the instant gratification route has never led to a championship.
and none of them will get any time if the suns push to make the playoffs this year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Perhaps. But let's also not pretend that it's impossible for rookies to get PT on winning teams. Alex Len and Archie Goodwin are/were as raw as you can get. Steven Adams and Mason Plumlee were each key reserves for winning teams this year, and they're hardly on the level of the majority of talent available in this year's draft.

Regardless, if anyone is thinking primarily about the 2014-15 season when making decisions in this year's draft, then they have already failed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:If the Suns wanted to, they could add 4 high-level contributors from this draft alone. I can't stress enough how much talent is in this draft. Will these guys do it from day one? No. But going the instant gratification route has never led to a championship.
One word: Celtics
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Apples and oranges.

First, you're wrong in that the Celtics were not case of instant gratification; they had methodically accumulated assets for multiple offseasons. And sure, if you can turn your assets into superstars, then yes go right ahead. But the Celtics didn't get there because they put a limit on the number of rookies they could bring in at a given time. And they didn't just trade the picks for run-of-the-mill veterans. Or drafting and stashing just to keep from bringing a certain number of rookies in.

If the Suns can send some picks out and land Kevin Love, fine. I'm not opposed to that. But they certainly aren't the wealthiest suitors that will be courting the Wolves. So the chances of that deal happening are slim to none. Got any other available superstars? No? Then draft.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Inf, is it possible you're over thinking one comment from McDonough? The one where he said it was unlikely the Suns would bring in 3 rookies, which from memory was in an article talking up Len and Goodwin. (Apologies if there's been more chatter about the Suns losing a pick one way or the other but I have missed it if that's the case.)

I wouldn't read too much into anything any GM says in the lead up to a draft but rather judge them by actions. For example almost every year the number one pick is supposedly available but it almost never gets close to being dealt.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:Perhaps. But let's also not pretend that it's impossible for rookies to get PT on winning teams. Alex Len and Archie Goodwin are/were as raw as you can get. Steven Adams and Mason Plumlee were each key reserves for winning teams this year, and they're hardly on the level of the majority of talent available in this year's draft.
rookies could get time if one of the guys get injured. other than that, they should be prepared to sit and wait. PT may come, or it may never come.

good news is that there's an open spot for another servicable center.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:Apples and oranges.

First, you're wrong in that the Celtics were not case of instant gratification; they had methodically accumulated assets for multiple offseasons. And sure, if you can turn your assets into superstars, then yes go right ahead. But the Celtics didn't get there because they put a limit on the number of rookies they could bring in at a given time. And they didn't just trade the picks for run-of-the-mill veterans. Or drafting and stashing just to keep from bringing a certain number of rookies in.

If the Suns can send some picks out and land Kevin Love, fine. I'm not opposed to that. But they certainly aren't the wealthiest suitors that will be courting the Wolves. So the chances of that deal happening are slim to none. Got any other available superstars? No? Then draft.
BUT THE CELTICS WERE TERRIBUL AT THAT TIME! THEIR YOUNG GUSYS GOTAT PLAYING TIAMNIE!
Last edited by SDC on Thu May 29, 2014 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

wish the suns traded away the indy pick for gasol, even if its a rental. so we could find out thru the playoffs if the suns are as good as we thought they were. stress test the players. i'm sure mcdo and the front office was thinking things way ahead, anticipating all these dilemmas.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Gladiator wrote:Inf, is it possible you're over thinking one comment from McDonough?
I hope so.