Suns Coach 2018-19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

So who do you want to see as a coach in 2018-19 (and beyond)?

Grass isn't always greener: Triano--What more could you ask with the group of guys we had this year and the development we have seen?
13%
Tried and true: Previous NBA head coach with bona fides / playoff wins
46%
Make the jump: Current NCAA head coach with bona fides / good tourny showings
10%
Shake it up: New coach from the assistant ranks across the league
18%
You make the call:Your poll options suck, Indy
13%

Total votes: 39

sunshoopjunky

Re: Suns Coach 2018-19

Post by sunshoopjunky »

ShelC wrote:Call me crazy, but I think a guy like Jeff Van Gundy is what we need to really turn this thing around. Pay him, let him bring in his own assistants, and establish a clear identity for the team and how we want to play. He's still a top basketball mind and knows what it takes to be successful.
Your not crazy. I like the idea as well.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

I have liked Jim Boylen a bunch for few years now.
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Watching this tournament has made me a Jay Wright fan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Villanova is one of the few teams that looks like an NBA team. They run an NBA offense with 5 shooters. Just beautiful to watch.. Would love Jay Wright in Phoenix

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Agreed with the Jay Wright sentiments. I like how they play.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think the Suns missed the boat on Jay Wright when they decided to stick with Watson. I predict that he'll go to a better situation than what he'd step into in Phoenix.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How come I have never heard of DiVincenzio until tonight? Is he an NBA prospect?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:How come I have never heard of DiVincenzio until tonight? Is he an NBA prospect?
You rarely hear about college bench players. Bayless thinks he'll be a sparkplug shooter in the NBA eventually. A 2nd round flyer type.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:How come I have never heard of DiVincenzio until tonight? Is he an NBA prospect?
You rarely hear about college bench players. Bayless thinks he'll be a sparkplug shooter in the NBA eventually. A 2nd round flyer type.
According to the broadcasters, he is a 6th starter kind of like Booker was for Kentucky. Basically, they said he was good enough to start for Villanova. The kid is an athlete with a lot of energy and hit a bunch of soul crushing shots against Michigan.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

He'll probably be their top scorer next year. I think he'll get drafted

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:I think the Suns missed the boat on Jay Wright when they decided to stick with Watson. I predict that he'll go to a better situation than what he'd step into in Phoenix.
I don't think they ever had a chance with Jay. It's fun to pretend that he might come here, but why would he? By all accounts he has his dream job, and he gets paid plenty. He has built that program and is very successful. Why come work for Sarver? I honestly think that Wright makes enough money that no paycheck would take him from a great situation to a bad one.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
carey wrote:
According to the broadcasters, he is a 6th starter kind of like Booker was for Kentucky. Basically, they said he was good enough to start for Villanova. The kid is an athlete with a lot of energy and hit a bunch of soul crushing shots against Michigan.
Kentucky signs top high school talent and markets them as NBA ready. Villanova players are typically not top high school talents, but they are coached up. Mikal Bridges and Jalen Brunson are juniors, and are both projected as first round picks. I don't think either would have been a first rounder last summer. DiVincenzio will have to play another year or 2 to get his name out there.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

DiVincenzio has been on the radar, as this wasn't the only time all year that he's played well this year.

I think Mikal would have been a 1st rounder the past couple drafts, as his numbers have been impressive even in those years.

It will depend a little on the reason Wright turned down the Suns last time they tried to hire him. Maybe they've improved their stance in his eyes, maybe they are willing to give more money now, or maybe he feels he needs another challenge, but who knows exactly?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I think the Suns missed the boat on Jay Wright when they decided to stick with Watson. I predict that he'll go to a better situation than what he'd step into in Phoenix.
I don't think they ever had a chance with Jay. It's fun to pretend that he might come here, but why would he? By all accounts he has his dream job, and he gets paid plenty. He has built that program and is very successful. Why come work for Sarver? I honestly think that Wright makes enough money that no paycheck would take him from a great situation to a bad one.
Is there actually accounts of him calling Villanova his dream job? He might feel that way, I've just never heard that. As far as better situations, the Milwaukee spot is probably the top coaching position available this summer. I'm sure a few others will pop up, but I don't think the Suns situation is that bad. If sarver is willing to pay, the team is ready to start winning and we've got a real nice core of young talent to mold. I think we'd have a pretty compelling situation for wright. Booker, Jackson, top 4 pick plus two other mid 1sts, cap space and a few other movable young assets (sorta).

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Jay Wright would be a dream hire.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

I may just be getting this hype from /r/nba, but how do people feel about Jerry Stackhouse? He has been given a lot of credit for developing the Raptors young players and has had great results coaching, I mean, a G-League team, but that is coaching experience. I guess defense and ball movement are the calling cards of the Raptors 905. I think it is at least worth bringing him in for an interview.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

n4th4n wrote:I may just be getting this hype from /r/nba, but how do people feel about Jerry Stackhouse? He has been given a lot of credit for developing the Raptors young players and has had great results coaching, I mean, a G-League team, but that is coaching experience. I guess defense and ball movement are the calling cards of the Raptors 905. I think it is at least worth bringing him in for an interview.
Interesting. Wasn't aware of any of that. Maybe he could break Jackson's face while he's at it. LOL. I kid, I kid.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I read some really good things about Stackhouse and his coaching. Not someone I would've imagined getting into coaching, let alone being a head coach in the GLeague and being that successful.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm a lil surprised by the DiVincenzo takes tbh because whenever I checked out Nova, the talking points would always be Brunson then Bridges/Spellman and watch out for The Big Ragu off the bench lol.
Feels like that been the thing with them all season. 31pts was crazy but it seemed like every time I watched them this year you could expect 15-18 from him.

Haven't followed any G League stuff recently but I remember reading an article maybe couple years back that he was Coach of the Year. I was watching a Raptors game last week and they were talking about how well Van Vleet and Siakam played last yr for 905 so I guess Stack does have a good thing going there.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think I'd want to see Stackhouse get a little more experience before hiring him in a HC role here. I don't think that's the kind of coach we need, somebody who is so young and raw and lacks experience. We need somebody who knows how to take our team to the next level. Stack would be the kind of coach for our team the past 1-2 years when we just needed to keep the young guys motivated and had no expectations of winning anything.