Game Day Playoff Edition — WCF, Game 5 — Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns, Monday 6/28/2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition — WCF, Game 5 — Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns, Monday 6/28/2021

Post by JeremyG »

Greg Anthony agrees with me. It's not Ayton's fault that he isn't dominating their small lineup if we don't let him touch the ball: https://www.nba.com/watch/video/2021062 ... djustments
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Re: Game Day Playoff Edition — WCF, Game 5 — Los Angeles Clippers @ Phoenix Suns, Monday 6/28/2021

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:35 am
Payne needs more than 13 minutes.
But he gets hunted on defense. If he isn't 100% and killing it on offense, he is a liability out there.

I think we need to get the other Cam more minutes. Jae is not doing well, and Mikal has been good defensively, but not offensively.

3 Point Shooting This Series

99 7/26 in 156 minutes (26.9%)
25 6/23 in 164 minutes (33.3%)
23 9/16 in 119 minutes (56.3%)

Also, Cam has been able to do something off the dribble/corner catch more than Mikal this series.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:27 pm
Greg Anthony agrees with me. It's not Ayton's fault that he isn't dominating their small lineup if we don't let him touch the ball: https://www.nba.com/watch/video/2021062 ... djustments
He has no post moves. He can't catch the ball 12 feet out and do something. He has been GREAT these playoffs when catching the ball on the move/roll. Or when going and getting O-boards. But he just wasn't active last night at all.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:33 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:23 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:35 pm
Tuned in at work with us up 62 - 61 I believe when George made his funny step layup....
That's called a traveling violation, but I'm sure you already know that.
If only the refs knew that…
I was a broken record at the game last night yelling travel. Since when was taking 3 steps allowed? I hate the modern NBA.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh, and I think it is sacrilegious for Suns fans to agree with Greg Anthony on anything. ;)

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:31 pm
Oh, and I think it is sacrilegious for Suns fans to agree with Greg Anthony on anything. ;)
Cheap shot ***hole. Coming out in street clothes hitting KJ. F**k Greg Anthony.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:30 pm
JeremyG wrote:
He has no post moves. He can't catch the ball 12 feet out and do something. He has been GREAT these playoffs when catching the ball on the move/roll. Or when going and getting O-boards. But he just wasn't active last night at all.
Give him the ball (especially the numerous times he called for it), and find out what he can do. You can't know what his moves would have been if he didn't get the ball.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:34 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Give him the ball (especially the numerous times he called for it), and find out what he can do. You can't know what his moves would have been if he didn't get the ball.
How many times have you seen him be effective in his first 3 years in this league playing as a "dump the ball into him in the post" type center?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:14 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
How many times have you seen him be effective in his first 3 years in this league playing as a "dump the ball into him in the post" type center?
And I think the stakes are high enough to skip this as a “learning” game. I’m pretty sure that behind closed doors, the coaching staff already tried during the season to find out what he can do. No need to revisit it on national TV during Game 6 of the WCF. That reporter on the other hand, could be just finding out how the Suns looks like.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Plenty. If he scores 50% of the time, that's more effective than our guards have been.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:48 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
And I think the stakes are high enough to skip this as a “learning” game. I’m pretty sure that behind closed doors, the coaching staff already tried during the season to find out what he can do. No need to revisit it on national TV during Game 6 of the WCF. That reporter on the other hand, could be just finding out how the Suns looks like.
Yeah, you don't change your offense now. I think it was David Nash that kept tweeting: "Just run your stuff!"
Last edited by Indy on Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:53 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Plenty. If he scores 50% of the time, that's more effective than our guards have been.
So CP3 and Book and Monty are just trying to lose now, instead of going to a sure thing. Got it.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:15 am
They smacked us early and often in the 1st qtr. We did a piss poor job adjusting to Morris posting up Book. Need to handle that switch better and/or send a double - which is not ideal for a player like Morris. But can't let him start 5-6 or 8-9 or whatever it was. We know George and Reggie Jackson are going to get theirs at this point, but we can't let a 3rd guy get going - whether it's Morris, Beverley, Mann, etc.

Another game where mostly everyone looked flat. CP looks slower and still hesitant and indecisive. DA was on cruise control, Bridges and Jae couldn't shake loose for open shots - Jae had some open looks early but bricked them.

Everyone thought it would be so easy to pound them in the paint with their smaller lineup but DA isn't a punishing big down low and that's not our style. He's being drawn out of the paint in their small lineup and then Boogie is punishing our smaller lineup because he has that ability. I think we can outplay them small lineup vs small lineup but that would mean sitting DA for longer stretches.

It was a good sign seeing Book get his offense going and Cam Johnson was a major bright spot. I was hoping he'd finish out the game but Monty went back to the starters and we started sinking again. Craig hasn't had much juice lately and he's usually been able to bring a spark off the bench. Nader may need to not play the rest of the way. I still think Jevon should've been seeing some minutes in this series to be our PatBev and just annoy the shit out of the Clips' guards.

Momentum is back with the Clips. I still don't think they're the better team, we just need to get back to how we play.
I hope you're right, shel. Between the Clippers' adjustments, whatever's going on with CP3, and the officiating, I've probably never felt more unsure of a 3-2 lead. Im glad we have at least we have two shots to take them out, cuz we've been thoroughly outplayed during this series, imo.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:55 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

So CP3 and Book and Monty are just trying to lose now, instead of going to a sure thing. Got it.
No, they've been almost losing because of the lack of touches for Ayton all season/postseason and now it's finally hurting them. But because ignoring him has worked out okay all year (most games) and they've gotten away with it (barely, many times--see Game 4), they keep doing it.

If they don't win a championship, the only reason will be because they won't use their center that they're about to give a max contract to.

And it's not just "dumping it into him in the post," as I pointed out with specific video clips from the 4th quarter of Game 4, where he was even open at the rim for lobs and Paul refused to throw it to him with Zubac switched onto Paul.

You really think he can't score over Patrick Beverley?

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:04 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:55 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

No, they've been almost losing because of the lack of touches for Ayton all season/postseason and now it's finally hurting them. But because ignoring him has worked out okay all year (most games) and they've gotten away with it (barely, many times--see Game 4), they keep doing it.

If they don't win a championship, the only reason will be because they won't use their center that they're about to give a max contract to.

And it's not just "dumping it into him in the post," as I pointed out with specific video clips from the 4th quarter of Game 4, where he was even open at the rim for lobs and Paul refused to throw it to him with Zubac switched onto Paul.

You really think he can't score over Patrick Beverley?
Well for whatever reason, against their bigs (Zubac, Cousins, Morris, Batum) he is shooting 62%.

against their smalls (Beverly, Jackson, Rondo) he is shooting 40% (obviously in smaller sample size).

He likes going against big guys and big names. And when he doesn't have that to get hyped up against, he disappears.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:26 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:39 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:35 am
Payne needs more than 13 minutes.
Maybe he's a little more banged up than we realize or he's letting on? If not, he absolutely needs more minutes.
I don't know man, I was at the game and during warm ups he was catching lobs for alley-oops. I can't even do that shit with an unsprained ankle.
No Payne, no gain. Let's go!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:31 pm
Cheap shot ***hole. Coming out in street clothes hitting KJ. F**k Greg Anthony.
At least he toned down his fashion choices. :P
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:07 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:00 pm
Poor Indy.
Those tickets weren't cheap 😔
probably the worst 828 i've ever spent

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This is the kind of thing that's been happening all series. He carved up the Nuggets with this FT line jumper, but has been hesitant. Maybe it's his hand that's bothering him but he's gotta take this

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Paul seems a step slow both physically and mentally. I wonder if the virus affected him neurologically.