2023 Coaching Search

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: 2023 Coaching Search

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:02 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:33 am
ShelC wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 am
We don't need a complete reset with a new voice, new staff, new "culture" looking to establish itself learning the players and the org.
That’s exactly what we Ayton needs imo.
FTFY.
Lol. My opinion still remains unchanged even if he's traded.

We trailed by 78 points in our last two elimination games combined. I think that screams "complete reset."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:51 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
We don't need a complete reset with a new voice, new staff, new "culture" looking to establish itself learning the players and the org.
FTFY.

We trailed by 78 points in our last two elimination games combined. I think that screams "complete reset."
There are no absolutes. Maybe Young has totally different ideas from Monty. We don't know. Even if he doesn't turn out to the "the one", he might be a great bridge since he's intimate with our guys and culture. We don't need a "complete reset". The culture is good. We need better offensive and defensive execution and I'm hoping Young can bring that. We also need better complementary players. That's on Jones and Ishbia.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

JeremyG wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
FTFY.

Leaving aside the Ayton part, no question that we need a hard reset, no? Twice now the team quit during an elimination game. Whatever happened late in the regular season has had permanent effects.

Was Kevin Young part of this? Booker's strong support suggests otherwise.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m less inclined to overreact to 2 games. I think there was legit concerns about Monty and his lack of adjustments/how he used KD, but I don’t think we need a total reset because of 2 games. Book was bad in both games, should we trade him too?

Feels like Kevin Young might be a nice middle ground for both continuity and also changing things up. I’m not sure he’s the right decision, but none of us know that(unless someone here is sneakily part of the team).

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I just hope young has a system and doesn’t defer as a rookie coach to his superstars to go iso ball like Nash did

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I just knew it. We can’t have nice things.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It could go the other way just the same. We thought we needed a hard reset after MikeD, went with the hardass Terry Porter for his defensive rep and it was a disaster.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:22 pm
JeremyG wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
FTFY.

Leaving aside the Ayton part, no question that we need a hard reset, no? Twice now the team quit during an elimination game. Whatever happened late in the regular season has had permanent effects.

Was Kevin Young part of this? Booker's strong support suggests otherwise.
I wouldn’t conclude that simply from Booker’s support. And look what happened when Durant wanted Nash as coach. Players shouldn’t be making these decisions, Giannis included.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 1:54 pm
It could go the other way just the same. We thought we needed a hard reset after MikeD, went with the hardass Terry Porter for his defensive rep and it was a disaster.
Porter was not a championship coach. To say the least.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

I'm not going to lie, this feels like Earl Watson all over again. I really hope I'm wrong but the Book tweet about he and KD being 'unbothered' about the Monty situation (assumption) and his endorsement of Young makes me wonder whether he/they had been undermining Monty for a while. As I said, I hope I'm wrong but the way Book reacted (uncharacteristically) makes me think he had at least some part to play in it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Really bummed out about the Nurse news. I increasingly think we will settle for a mediocre new coach like Young. This seems bad. Ishbia feels like an inexperienced and immature owner. Trading away half our roster and a decade's worth of picks for an all-in title bet, then firing a good coach and replacing him with (probably) an unproven nobody. This doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the future of the franchise.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:08 pm
Really bummed out about the Nurse news. I increasingly think we will settle for a mediocre new coach like Young. This seems bad. Ishbia feels like an inexperienced and immature owner. Trading away half our roster and a decade's worth of picks for an all-in title bet, then firing a good coach and replacing him with (probably) an unproven nobody. This doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the future of the franchise.
Agreed. Maybe we've all got the wrong end of the stick and it'll be Vogel, but I just don't see it playing out that way. As you say, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence moving forward. It also suggests that KD and Booker aren't the draw that everyone is making them out to be.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I’m a glass half full person. Nurse had a bigger let down than Monty did in my view; That team is fucking stacked and they had an awful year.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Yeah, there's no point in firing Monty and hiring his assistant. Ishbia seems to be making all of the exact same mistakes that Robert Sarver made, just not for the same reasons (money). All the way down to injecting himself into the game courtside, and firing up the Nuggets. That may have been the "Luka special" moment of this postseason, looking back at it.

TOO

Post by TOO »

SunsSince92 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:12 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Agreed. Maybe we've all got the wrong end of the stick and it'll be Vogel, but I just don't see it playing out that way. As you say, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence moving forward. It also suggests that KD and Booker aren't the draw that everyone is making them out to be.
Or, like many said, Young was the guy all along. I don't think you just fire a relatively successful coach without a plan in place.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
It's a fact that he's an inexperienced owner. So was Cuban when he took over the Mavs. He went on to get their first championship.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I still wonder if Mat is delusional enough to think he can get Spoelstra, thus the delay in hiring. :P

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Kevin Young is not going to work out for the Suns.

He's a place holder for someone better, but the thing is, the pool of better coaches becomes larger when the time comes for him to be replaced.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Let's see how the off-season plays out before people start jumping off the cliff and labeling Ishbia a crud owner. A lot of overeating going on.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:45 pm
Kevin Young is not going to work out for the Suns.

He's a place holder for someone better, but the thing is, the pool of better coaches becomes larger when the time comes for him to be replaced.
Young will be a good place holder until Ishbia can transition to Isiah Thomas.

"Be Legendary."