Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Indy »

So maybe we shouldn't take what he says as fact, if his facts contradict themselves?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You have to take anything heard third person with a grain of salt this time of the year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't think there is any chance of getting KD without sending them Mikal. I love the guy, but if we are talking about Kevin Durant, you have to give them something valuable back. You can't just give them picks and random middling vets/rotation guys for a 30 ppg scorer.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's always been unrealistic to acquire KD without sending out either Ayton or Mikal, if not both.

I think the Suns prefer to keep Mikal, but Bill Duffy took that option off of the table by seemingly misleading the Pacers to believe the Suns wouldn't match Ayton's offer sheet. I didn't think the Pacers would actually do that so I never really considered it a possibility, but here we are now.

It's gonna be an interesting locker room because everyone will be waiting for January 15th if the Suns are unwilling to put Mikal in the trade. Then we'll be right back where we started with everyone seeing the writing on the wall that the Suns don't highly value Ayton. The only difference will be his contract is set, which would likely make it easier to trade him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And I think I asked this a couple times already, but BYC only impacts if it is a S&T, not if we trade someone after we sign them, right?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yep, BYC is gone by January 15. So it's just a straight $31 million.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:55 pm
So maybe we shouldn't take what he says as fact, if his facts contradict themselves?
"not impacted by DA signing" could just mean not negatively impacted. It also says: "KD deal is less complicated now"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:32 pm
It's always been unrealistic to acquire KD without sending out either Ayton or Mikal, if not both.

I think the Suns prefer to keep Mikal, but Bill Duffy took that option off of the table by seemingly misleading the Pacers to believe the Suns wouldn't match Ayton's offer sheet. I didn't think the Pacers would actually do that so I never really considered it a possibility, but here we are now.

It's gonna be an interesting locker room because everyone will be waiting for January 15th if the Suns are unwilling to put Mikal in the trade. Then we'll be right back where we started with everyone seeing the writing on the wall that the Suns don't highly value Ayton. The only difference will be his contract is set, which would likely make it easier to trade him.
This assumes that we will be unhappy with Ayton on Jan 15. I am not so sure of that. We may find that he is playing great and that we don't want to part with him. Or, perhaps more accurately, that we'd rather give up Mikal than DA at that point in a KD deal. But we'll have to wait and see.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:28 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:32 pm

This assumes that we will be unhappy with Ayton on Jan 15. I am not so sure of that. We may find that he is playing great and that we don't want to part with him. Or, perhaps more accurately, that we'd rather give up Mikal than DA at that point in a KD deal. But we'll have to wait and see.
I think it's a bigger stretch to believe their outlook on Ayton has changed at all at this point. I've seen nothing from him or the Suns training together this summer. I understand part of that is the nature of his RFA status, but the only thing that's changed is the Suns agreeing to pay him what one (lowly) team was willing to. There's also still plenty of discourse leftover from the second round collapse to work through.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya if we don’t get KD, the Ayton story will be front and center all year. Mikal has called him his best friend, so I definitely don’t think it’s an unfixable situation, but definitely some stuff we’ll need to work through.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

We can’t go more than two days after he’s signed before talking about trading him again? You people are so eager to get rid of him, it’s nuts. :roll:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:34 pm
We can’t go more than two days after he’s signed before talking about trading him again? You people are so eager to get rid of him, it’s nuts. :roll:
What do you mean you people?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Not everyone is on Ayton fantasy island where everything is the fault of someone else.

IIRC, it was Ayton who was in his feelings about not getting the contract he wanted and then refusing to go back into a playoff game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
I think we’re just saying everything isn’t all resolved. I wasn’t calling for a trade, just that I think there’s stuff that will need to be worked out. I think there’s gonna be some tension between Ayton and others in the organization.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
“You people” = Ayton haters = majority of the posters on this forum

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:47 pm
Not everyone is on Ayton fantasy island where everything is the fault of someone else.

IIRC, it was Ayton who was in his feelings about not getting the contract he wanted and then refusing to go back into a playoff game.
He never refused to go back into a playoff game. That’s revisionist history that keeps getting repeated.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

He never refused to go back into a playoff game. That’s revisionist history that keeps getting repeated.
It was pretty widely reported…why do you think he didn’t?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

My fault. He was asked if he wanted to go back in the game and declined, so he quit.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:02 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I think we’re just saying everything isn’t all resolved. I wasn’t calling for a trade, just that I think there’s stuff that will need to be worked out. I think there’s gonna be some tension between Ayton and others in the organization.
Thank you.

Most of my posts about roster management are through what I perceive to be the Suns (Jones/Monty) intentions. Pointing out the lingering issues isn't being an Ayton hater, it's living in reality.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
“You people” = Ayton haters = majority of the posters on this forum
I think you're wrong about that. Unless you mean anybody that doesn't think he's perfect. You probably think I'm a Ayton hater for example but I'm not. Do I want him to take his craft seriously and get a minimum of eight hours of sleep a night, be more aggressive, be more consistent, and draw more fouls? Yes. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a lot of what he brings to the team or like him as a person.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."