2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Shabazz »

Kellan Olson made a good point. I’m not a huge Jeff Teague fan. He’s perfectly fine and serviceable, just nothing spectacular. However, I’d prefer him at $19M in ‘19-20 than Kemba for $33M.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

“Just a willingness to learn, picking things up quick,” Booker said of Ayton. “Coach tells him one thing, then I watch him the next five plays he does exactly how coach says. Being able to pick things up like that young and being a big. Usually bigs can’t pick up on things like that from my experiences, but he’s really intelligent, really smart. That’s important for him.”

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... -astounded
Seems like a shot at Alex Len....

...i love it :D

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Does anyone subscribe to the Athletic? Worth it?

Cap

Post by Cap »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:27 pm
“Just a willingness to learn, picking things up quick,” Booker said of Ayton. “Coach tells him one thing, then I watch him the next five plays he does exactly how coach says. Being able to pick things up like that young and being a big. Usually bigs can’t pick up on things like that from my experiences, but he’s really intelligent, really smart. That’s important for him.”

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... -astounded
Seems like a shot at Alex Len....

...i love it :D
Or KAT, or WCS, or Lyles, or Keef, or Chriss, or Dragan.

He’s played with a lot of young bigs.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Teague is not worth it unless somebody is taking Anderson, which obviously is not going to happen. If Dragic is not an option, just go with what we have.

About Teague at 19M vs Kemba at 33M, I wouldn't want either for this roster. Edit: Ayton actually being the defender his recent hype is suggesting would make me change my mind on Kemba and the likes.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If you think Teague is overpaid at $19m, you just don't like Jeff Teague, or you aren't calibrated for modern NBA economics. $19m is not a huge contract in 2018-19. Just look at how much guys like Mike Conley are making. It's almost twice that.

I'm not saying necessarily that Teague is good or that I would want him here on the Suns; I don't know him that well as a player. But I'm just saying that $19m is really not a big contract for a veteran starting PG.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

I’d rather trade a protected 2nd rd pick for George Hill than trade a 1st for Jeff Teague.

Hill is at least a good defender.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Note that in my case I didn't say Teague is overpaid at 19M. I obviously agree 19M today is not the same than before the new cap.

My point is that he is not worth it to us all things considered.

First of all, Teague is so average as a starter and that won't move the needle. He is going to give you what, 15-7 with not many TOs, mediocre/decent %s and poor-but-not-total-liability defense? He also started to look too much for his own scoring while in Minni for my taste.

Second, his 19M will do make it harder to become players in FA next year for a real difference maker.

Thrid, his contract is expiring after next season so any asset you invest (say MIL pick) is lost for a short term move unless you give him another contract when he is entering his age 32 season.

Now, all that is assuming you can't get Teague for a cap neutral package, like Anderson and MIL pick. If that was possible, you have to think hard about it and probably pull the trigger. But if it is say Chandler-pick? No thanks.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

UglyTruth wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:15 am
I’d rather trade a protected 2nd rd pick for George Hill than trade a 1st for Jeff Teague.

Hill is at least a good defender.
Absolutely.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

15 and 7 with not many TOs. And people are moaning about that?! Do you think we have the potential to get a superstar PG or something? With this roster, I'd be ecstatic for those kinds of numbers. There are a lot of guys needing touches and we need a PG to help facilitate that.

Not sure what MORE people are wanting. Chris Paul isn't available.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:10 am
15 and 7 with not many TOs. And people are moaning about that?! Do you think we have the potential to get a superstar PG or something? With this roster, I'd be ecstatic for those kinds of numbers. There are a lot of guys needing touches and we need a PG to help facilitate that.

It's not Teague himself who's the problem. If we trade for him, we no longer have cap space to sign free agents next year. Same as if we trade for Dragic. So you have to be ok with those guys being your big FA acquisitions next summer. I'd rather have the cap space. Wrong side of 30 PG's are not what I'm looking to add to this team long term.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:58 pm
I just did recently. I locked in at a pretty good deal. So far I've liked it. There is a ton of content. The basketball stuff is really just getting started, so we'll see how it is.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:23 am
Shabazz wrote:
I just did recently. I locked in at a pretty good deal. So far I've liked it. There is a ton of content. The basketball stuff is really just getting started, so we'll see how it is.
Agreed. It has awesome content.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:10 am

I agree. Middle of the road starter is BIG improvement over not having a perceived starting caliber pg on the roster right now.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 am
Split T wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I have a subscription too and I really enjoy it. Don't pay full price though, there's enough promotional deals online in various places that you can get it for a decent rate.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I honestly really, really, like what I've seen in limited action from Okobo. We have such a young team that needs court time to develop, I'd be hesitant to bring in someone like Teague or Dragic that is definitely going to limit that court time for the young guys. And this is coming from someone who really loves Dragic! But we have to have some sort of development plan for these guys.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 am
It's not Teague himself who's the problem. If we trade for him, we no longer have cap space to sign free agents next year. Same as if we trade for Dragic. So you have to be ok with those guys being your big FA acquisitions next summer. I'd rather have the cap space. Wrong side of 30 PG's are not what I'm looking to add to this team long term.
Yep. Opportunity cost and long term potential of the move, which is very low.

In my case I'd be willing to do it for Dragic, but not for Teague, although I totally see why you'd say no to both.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My first choice would be Beverly as another veteran voice, culture setter and what he brings on defense and offense. it helps that he is also an expiring contract and not making a ton of money this year.
Second, I would like Dragic, for many of the same reasons for Beverly, plus he has a good relationship with Igor and can help the young guys.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:33 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I have a subscription too and I really enjoy it. Don't pay full price though, there's enough promotional deals online in various places that you can get it for a decent rate.
I got a smoking deal when the MLB season kicked off. Definitely many opportunities to take advantage of promotions.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:47 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:33 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Split T wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I got a smoking deal when the MLB season kicked off. Definitely many opportunities to take advantage of promotions.
Can you guys give us an idea of rates? Who's covering the Suns?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."