2018 Suns Pre-draft Workouts

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2018 Suns Pre-draft Workouts

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:03 am
You guys do know there's more than the draft, right? There are other ways to get distributors. We are not locked into our team after the draft.
You're right, all the Suns needs don't have to be solved with this one draft. Personally, I don't even think the Suns have to solve all their needs this offseason.

But you don't draft Doncic just to get a "distributor." I'm not saying, "oh my god, who is going to play point (position)?! We have to draft a point (position)!"

It's about value. At the end of the day, you have to decide what is more valuable: An elite facilitator who can pass-dribble-shoot-score that gives your team positional/lineup flexibility? Or a 20-10, iso/post scoring athletic center?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:00 am
I worry that Doncic might struggle with pressure in the NBA. Is he quick enough and have the handle to beat Patrick Beverly pressuring him full court?
No, he isn't, but he's big enough and clever enough to keep his body between himself and the defender under pressure situations. Then he can pass to a moving teamate.

The nice thing about Doncic is that he's not a 1on1 player.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I've seen a lot of James Harden 1v1 like play from Doncic in highlights and I'm not sure he'll be able to do that as much in the NBA. He played less 1v1 with Slovenia though.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:09 am
Superbone wrote:
You guys do know there's more than the draft, right? There are other ways to get distributors. We are not locked into our team after the draft.
You're right, all the Suns needs don't have to be solved with this one draft. Personally, I don't even think the Suns have to solve all their needs this offseason.

But you don't draft Doncic just to get a "distributor." I'm not saying, "oh my god, who is going to play point (position)?! We have to draft a point (position)!"

It's about value. At the end of the day, you have to decide what is more valuable: An elite facilitator who can pass-dribble-shoot-score that gives your team positional/lineup flexibility? Or a 20-10, iso/post scoring athletic center?
I agree regarding doncic. All of the "he can't play pg" rhetoric is just stupid. Draft Doncic, cover PGs with JJ, have one of three players bring up the ball and let Doncic play main but not the only facilitator.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:30 am
So if we draft Ayton, JJ/Booker and co just aren't gonna get any better and we'll stagnate as a team? Got it. I think I'm gonna stay outta the draft threads now, can't handle this incredible insight.
Yeah, not sure why these guys even watch the games. They already know what's going to happen. Must be a curse to have such deep insight and be all-knowing.
It’s called speculation and discussion. Isn’t that what sports forums are for?

If Ayton busts, I sure hope I don’t see you or OriginalOriginal posting crap like “Oh well hindsight is 20/20, nobody could’ve known that Ayton wouldn’t be nearly as good as Doncic, Bagley etc.”.

It’s my biggest pet peeve when people do that (not you but in general) and ignore the fact that not everyone was stupid and thought the same way at the time. People use it on the Knight trade saying “Oh I think everyone agreed Knight trade was good at the time and he improved every year in the league so everyone loved the trade at the time” like no we didn’t. There were smarter Suns fans who could see that Knight was a huge negative for the Bucks when he was on the court and Bucks fans despised him despite his gaudy stats and damn nearly threw a parade In Wisconsin when the trade was announced.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am
Superbone wrote:
So if we draft Ayton, JJ/Booker and co just aren't gonna get any better and we'll stagnate as a team? Got it. I think I'm gonna stay outta the draft threads now, can't handle this incredible insight.
Yeah, not sure why these guys even watch the games. They already know what's going to happen. Must be a curse to have such deep insight and be all-knowing.
This from Mr. "The League was ruined by Durant! Everyone knows who's winning for the next 6 years." Come on now.

What we are doing here is exactly what pre-draft offseason is for. We are projecting how various players will fit with our team, how much they will grow, and what areas they will grow in. No need to get snarky just because a few of us don't love the most popular prospect.
Hey! I reserve the right to be snarky at any time! 8-)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
I worry that Doncic might struggle with pressure in the NBA. Is he quick enough and have the handle to beat Patrick Beverly pressuring him full court?
That's the fear with all these guys. We won't know until we see them in the NBA. Ayton may or may not play good defense at the NBA level and Doncic may or may not struggle with NBA strength and quickness. That's what makes it all so interesting.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:09 am
Superbone wrote:

That's a good take but I really don't know the answer and I don't think we'll know until they start playing in the NBA and we see the pieces around them. I hope it works out for us whether it's Doncic or Ayton but it's all speculation at this point.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 am
Split T wrote:
No, he isn't, but he's big enough and clever enough to keep his body between himself and the defender under pressure situations. Then he can pass to a moving teamate.

These are all good questions though. Nobody could have predicted that Nash would become such a fantastic NBA player and have the ability to dominate at his size and athleticism.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am
Superbone wrote:
It’s called speculation and discussion. Isn’t that what sports forums are for?

If Ayton busts, I sure hope I don’t see you or OriginalOriginal posting crap like “Oh well hindsight is 20/20, nobody could’ve known that Ayton wouldn’t be nearly as good as Doncic, Bagley etc.”.

It’s my biggest pet peeve when people do that (not you but in general) and ignore the fact that not everyone was stupid and thought the same way at the time. People use it on the Knight trade saying “Oh I think everyone agreed Knight trade was good at the time and he improved every year in the league so everyone loved the trade at the time” like no we didn’t. There were smarter Suns fans who could see that Knight was a huge negative for the Bucks when he was on the court and Bucks fans despised him despite his gaudy stats and damn nearly threw a parade In Wisconsin when the trade was announced.
>It’s called speculation and discussion. Isn’t that what sports forums are for?

Yes. My apologies if I appeared anti-speculation or anti-discussion.

Also, if we draft Ayton and Doncic goes on to be all-world, anybody is free to say "I told you so."

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:02 pm
Split T wrote:
That's the fear with all these guys. We won't know until we see them in the NBA. Ayton may or may not play good defense at the NBA level and Doncic may or may not struggle with NBA strength and quickness. That's what makes it all so interesting.
Agreed, it's why I think you should look at 3 things:

1. What do you know they can do now.
2. What can they potentially do in the future.
3. How motivated are they to get better?

Fans can generally see 1 and 2, but it's really hard for us to see 3 and that might be the biggest factor. All these guys are talented and all have things they need to work on. The player(s) that close the gap between 1 and 2 the most will be the player(s) we should have drafted.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
This from Mr. "The League was ruined by Durant! Everyone knows who's winning for the next 6 years." Come on now.

What we are doing here is exactly what pre-draft offseason is for. We are projecting how various players will fit with our team, how much they will grow, and what areas they will grow in. No need to get snarky just because a few of us don't love the most popular prospect.
:D You've earned it, but I'm gonna call you on it!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:28 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:

:D You've earned it, but I'm gonna call you on it!
Deal! We've all got to keep each other in check from time to time.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:07 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 am
Split T wrote:

These are all good questions though. Nobody could have predicted that Nash would become such a fantastic NBA player and have the ability to dominate at his size and athleticism.
Yes, it took Nash many years in the NBA to learn to do the things that Doncic is already doing at 18.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's maybe not exactly apples to apples, but we had Bodganovic who was doing big things in Europe, putting up numbers, hitting big shots, winning a bunch and he was solid but not spectacular with the Kings. He came over as an older player, more of a SG, and was playing on a bad team but wasn't exactly lighting it up.

I still think Doncic will be great, but it's food for thought.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:37 am
It's maybe not exactly apples to apples, but we had Bodganovic who was doing big things in Europe, putting up numbers, hitting big shots, winning a bunch and he was solid but not spectacular with the Kings. He came over as an older player, more of a SG, and was playing on a bad team but wasn't exactly lighting it up.

Food for worry!

With all these guys, Bogdonovic included, it's how much they are going to improve. I don't know how to evaluate that except for past precedent and gut feeling.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1007286331041632256

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:

You never know for sure and each individual is different. I think he'll be great too though. He's got basketball in his blood. Speaking of Bogdan, I wish we would have kept him instead of trading for Chriss. He would have been a great backup for Booker. Now I hope Chriss makes me eat my words but I have my doubts. He can pretty dang good when engaged. It will be interesting to see what the new coaching staff can do with him.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am
ShelC wrote:

You never know for sure and each individual is different. I think he'll be great too though. He's got basketball in his blood. Speaking of Bogdan, I wish we would have kept him instead of trading for Chriss. He would have been a great backup for Booker. Now I hope Chriss makes me eat my words but I have my doubts. He can pretty dang good when engaged. It will be interesting to see what the new coaching staff can do with him.
Unfortunately, he wanted a lot more money than a rookie contract. The Suns at the time weren't in the position to give him that much in relation to their plan and timeline. It's unfortunate that he didn't come over in a Suns uniform. I thought they did the best they could at the time. If he would have waited another 2 yrs to come over or come over 2 years earlier, I'm sure it would have turned out differently.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:39 am
Unfortunately, he wanted a lot more money than a rookie contract. The Suns at the time weren't in the position to give him that much in relation to their plan and timeline. It's unfortunate that he didn't come over in a Suns uniform. I thought they did the best they could at the time. If he would have waited another 2 yrs to come over or come over 2 years earlier, I'm sure it would have turned out differently.
Not buying this at all. The Suns have had enough flexibility to pay him without problem, but they just didn't value him enough (like some posters on here, with all due respect). Or more accurately, they wanted Chriss much more. From day 1 I was saying Bogdanovic was a winner and a keeper who would have given us a lot of the things we currently lack, but sadly the organization overvalued Chriss to an absurd degree. Bah.