2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Post by O_Gardino »

I usually ignore the argument that <this body type> can't play in the NBA. Lot's of folks said Luka would be too slow for the NBA. Lots of folks thought Garnett and Durant were too skinny.

But there is reason for concern with players over 7'2". Seems like everyone that tall has Yao Ming/ Kristaps Porzingis type careers where they are injured all the time.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:35 am

Not sure I’m willing to call him the greatest bust but could see him having a grant hill type career where he’ll have to adapt to his body’s deficiencies.
The Grant Hill comparison surprised me. Grant was very healthy outside of his time in Orlando. 6 very healthy years in Detroit and 4 very healthy years in Phoenix. I don't think he had to adapt to his body’s deficiencies. He had some bad luck in Orlando, and the medical staff there did not do a good job of getting him healthy before letting him get back on the court.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Split T wrote:
Do you disagree? He’s 7’3 or 7’4 and plays like a guard. He’s got an over 8’0 wingspan. He’s going to be an absolute nightmare to defend and he’s going to cause chaos on defense with his length.

I get that health is a concern. It feels weird with everyone predicting he won’t even make it to game 1 before getting hurt. Certainly a possibility, but not everyone with his build gets hurt.
Oh the risk is worth it…. He’s insane and loved watching him play. Just saying there’s a little trepidation when you see players with similar make up dealing with health issues. I’d like to think there’s a trainer out there for him that specializes with his build type. He’s YUUUUUIUUGE!

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:22 am
Kryptonic wrote:

Not sure I’m willing to call him the greatest bust but could see him having a grant hill type career where he’ll have to adapt to his body’s deficiencies.
The Grant Hill comparison surprised me. Grant was very healthy outside of his time in Orlando. 6 very healthy years in Detroit and 4 very healthy years in Phoenix. I don't think he had to adapt to his body’s deficiencies. He had some bad luck in Orlando, and the medical staff there did not do a good job of getting him healthy before letting him get back on the court.
Probably from a story I read years ago….

People often forget he was gonna be the next Michael Jordan before he had his injury.

https://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2010/ ... ill-100428
Last edited by Kryptonic on Wed May 17, 2023 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

KP has played 226 of 321 possible games over last 4 years. That’s just over 70%. I think that’s fine.

Yao did break down early, but he did play 84% of the games over his first 7 years.

KD stayed relatively healthy until his Achilles injury in his 30s.

Ilgauskas had some early injuries, but was playing 90% of the games into his mid 30s.

Rik Smits played 12 years and was relatively healthy.

Robert Parish and Kareem are 1 and 2 in career games played.

Ralph Sampson would be a cautionary tale.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:23 am
Split T wrote:
Do you disagree? He’s 7’3 or 7’4 and plays like a guard. He’s got an over 8’0 wingspan. He’s going to be an absolute nightmare to defend and he’s going to cause chaos on defense with his length.

I get that health is a concern. It feels weird with everyone predicting he won’t even make it to game 1 before getting hurt. Certainly a possibility, but not everyone with his build gets hurt.
Oh the risk is worth it…. He’s insane and loved watching him play. Just saying there’s a little trepidation when you see players with similar make up dealing with health issues. I’d like to think there’s a trainer out there for him that specializes with his build type. He’s YUUUUUIUUGE!
He does seem to have stayed healthier this year. I hope he has some of those right people around him now getting his body right.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:

Show me

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:28 am
KP has played 226 of 321 possible games over last 4 years. That’s just over 70%. I think that’s fine.

Yao did break down early, but he did play 84% of the games over his first 7 years.

KD stayed relatively healthy until his Achilles injury in his 30s.

Ilgauskas had some early injuries, but was playing 90% of the games into his mid 30s.

Rik Smits played 12 years and was relatively healthy.

Robert Parish and Kareem are 1 and 2 in career games played.

Ralph Sampson would be a cautionary tale.
KD is not 7’5.

All the others except KP played in a completely different league. Slow paced, half court ball with less miles traveled each game on the court.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:31 am
Split T wrote:

Show me
I did, how about you show me. The truth is we’ve never seen anyone with this build that plays the way he does. KP is probably the closest comp and Wemby is bigger and more fluid. And KP seems to have settled down with the injuries and been relatively healthy the last 4 years.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I do think his height will catch up to him, moving laterally and bending the way he does, he just seems frail, maybe he'll be fine, maybe he won't, I can't say. He's just so ridiculously talented that you can't pass on him.

I still prefer Scoot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TOO wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:41 pm
Here's hoping Wemby is more Ayton than Robinson.
Haha, you know that won't happen. He'll win the Spurs 7 championships with our luck.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

There are other teams rival executives are already pinning as potential trade candidates. Dallas avoided disaster by landing its top-10 protected pick at the No. 10 spot, and the Mavericks are certainly expected to explore the market for that selection in hopes of adding to their All-Star backcourt of Luka Dončić and Kyrie Irving, the latter of which will become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Indiana, which came away with the No. 7 pick, also holds picks Nos. 26 and 29, which the Pacers already explored trading for veteran talent before the February trade deadline, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Sacramento, down at No. 24, is another team to monitor, sources said, for first-round trade possibilities.
https://sports.yahoo.com/an-inside-loo ... 14853.html

I know I joke but I would absolutely love to get the 10th pick from the Mavs to draft Gradey Dick, he’d be perfect next to Book and KD.

The pacers are interesting, would they be willing to give us one of those late Picks for Ayton that we then could then reroute to Clips for Ty Lue? How about this?

Pacers- Jordan Poole, Ayton, 2 2nds

GSW- Myles Turner, Shamet

Suns- Hield, TJ McConnell, Daniel Theis, 29th from Boston( trade for Ty Lue.

Pacers then have a starting line up of Haliburton- Poole-Mathurin-Ayton with the 7th pick and tons of cap space still. Sign Grant maybe to be their 4? That’s top 5 team in the east to me.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Myles Turner was fantastic last year; I don't think the Pacers want to give him up plus draft capital for Ayton. I would love it if they did though.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:22 am
Kryptonic wrote:

Grant came back too soon and got screwed. Equal parts bad luck and poor mgt.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:19 am
Myles Turner was fantastic last year; I don't think the Pacers want to give him up plus draft capital for Ayton. I would love it if they did though.
Yeah pacers fans just tore into me on Twitter. Lol.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ll give them Ayton haha

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 pm
I’ll give them Ayton haha
I wish lol

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

You know what? Fuck it.

Blazers: Tim Hardaway Jr, Josh Green, 10th pick from Mavs. 3 2nds from Suns

Mavs: Ayton

Suns: Bertans, Nurkic, 3rd overall

Blazers resign Grant

Dame-Simmons-THJ-Grant- Brook Lopez they sign for the full MLE

Bench: Sharpe, Green, 10th pick

Suns take on 2 garbage contracts for the 3rd overall pick and get a chance to draft Scoot or Brandon “killer” Miller.

If scoot, Let CP mentor for a year then dump his 30 million.

Boom!!