Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SunsRIt

Re: Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:54 pm
You lost me at Pelinka from the Lakers at 5. Pretty much loses all credibility.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ Agreed. Pelinka? Barf.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It looks like they just used a formula. When did he take over? He’s getting credit for turning the lakers around and winning a title, even though that was just LeBron choosing them

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:21 am
You lost me at Pelinka from the Lakers at 5. Pretty much loses all credibility.
Don't shoot the messenger.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

GMs get a lot of credit for superstars going to a team. Weird. I could've signed LeBron for the Lakers, I'd be top 5 too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Right, but it’s just some computer formula making the list, the computer doesn’t know the context, that’s all I’m saying.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Well, it's no coincidence that our franchise turned the corner after James Jones took over.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:14 am
Well, it's no coincidence that our franchise turned the corner after James Jones took over.
Definitely got to give James Jones a ton of the credit

TOO

Post by TOO »

Do we though? What has he done, I mean really?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Lol

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

TOO wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:59 am
GMs get a lot of credit for superstars going to a team. Weird. I could've signed LeBron for the Lakers, I'd be top 5 too.
GMs get credit for the franchise they’re a part of. Imagine that. JJ gets love from me given our turnaround for culture. Players know about our team culture now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:37 am
Huh? We were a joke when he took over and now we are a top tier team. He brought in Monty, traded for CP3, drafted Mikal(technically McD did, but that was a JJ move), drafted CamJ, signed Crowder. Literally almost our whole team, except Booker and Ayton were put together by James Jones.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:24 pm
TOO wrote:
Huh? We were a joke when he took over and now we are a top tier team. He brought in Monty, traded for CP3, drafted Mikal(technically McD did, but that was a JJ move), drafted CamJ, signed Crowder. Literally almost our whole team, except Booker and Ayton were put together by James Jones.
It's got to be a joke on TOO's part. Right?... Right?!

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:
Where are you getting that bolded part? McD also had a trade in place for Shai, but Sarver overruled him.

Jones' masterstroke was firing Igor and hiring Monty. Everything waterfalled from there. There's no CP3 without Monty and there's no Crowder without CP3. For that, he deserves a ton of credit. His moves (and inactivity) around the margins have left a ton to be desired.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:24 pm
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:
Where are you getting that bolded part? McD also had a trade in place for Shai, but Sarver overruled him.

Jones' masterstroke was firing Igor and hiring Monty. Everything waterfalled from there. There's no CP3 without Monty and there's no Crowder without CP3. For that, he deserves a ton of credit. His moves (and inactivity) around the margins have left a ton to be desired.
Well if it wasn’t McD making the move, who was it? McD had a move in place for SGA, even Gambo thought we traded for SGA. There was a last minute flip and we traded for Mikal. I don’t know if it was James Jones, but I just don’t know who else it would’ve been.

And ya there’s been a lot of question marks about a lot of his moves(and non-moves), but results kinda speak for themselves.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

McD assembled players. They sucked! Jones created a team and a very good one at that. Huge difference.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:31 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:24 pm
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:

Well if it wasn’t McD making the move, who was it? McD had a move in place for SGA, even Gambo thought we traded for SGA. There was a last minute flip and we traded for Mikal. I don’t know if it was James Jones, but I just don’t know who else it would’ve been.

And ya there’s been a lot of question marks about a lot of his moves(and non-moves), but results kinda speak for themselves.
According to Doug Haller, it was Sarver who overruled him and went with the Mikal option. Jones may have been leading that negotiation in parallel, but I can't imagine McD wasn't aware of that trade as well.

It's honestly a pretty significant "sliding doors" moment in recent Suns history.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m sure McD was aware of the flip in real time, I just think Jones was working on the Mikal deal and McD was working on the SGA one and Sarver picked the Mikal one because by that point he trusted Jones over McD. Though one of the few times McD had a good move in place. Not upset by any means that we got Mikal, but SGA would be real nice.

Anyways, my reasoning is Gambo was clearly confused as he probably had knowledge McD was after SGA and there was no time for McD to update him.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The way McD pimps Mikal on Twitter, I feel like he was fully supportive and somewhat behind that trade proposal as well.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe, but McD could just as easily be trying to make himself look better. Wouldn’t put it past him to take credit for someone else’s decision.