2016 NBA DRAFT

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT

Post by ShelC »

As for the latter issue, McD was careful to temper expectations during the presser. He doesn't expect to make the playoffs this season. Watson's mandate is to develop the young talent for the future, which is exactly how it should be.
Doesn't expect to make the playoffs? I'm sure Bledsoe, Knight and Chandler will enjoy hearing that. Just so I'm clear...we're going to play our vets, while developing young talent for the future, without being a playoff team. That's asssuming, of course, we do intend to keep our vets....

[youtube][/youtube]

SDC

Post by SDC »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Well, the draft has delivered two PFs with high upside but also probably the highest bust potential as well. I feel like the trade was an overpay and that they indeed were madly in love with Chriss, because just standing pat you could have had Valentine AND Skal. I would have never done it, to draft Chriss at least, but we'll have to see how things unfold. Huge test to our development ability, which is a problem with the guards still at the helm. Ullis is universally applauded as a floor general but there needs to be a trade involving at least one of the PGs for him to make an impact. Hate how almost everything comes down to the trade of one or both guards.
We stole the 8th pick from Sacramento. Bogdans value went down when he refused to come over this year since his contract will now go way up. And there is really no way to know how his skills will translate. Sonny Weems looked all-world two years ago in Europe. Great use of a marginal asset.
i'm looking at bog bog's stats, and he aint all that great as a shooter. and he will have a hard time scoring against nba defenses.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bog ... 145/stats/

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Watson drafted himself with the Ulis pick.

Kudos to McDo on the draft but now it's time to get back to shitting the bed on trades.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Well, the draft has delivered two PFs with high upside but also probably the highest bust potential as well. I feel like the trade was an overpay and that they indeed were madly in love with Chriss, because just standing pat you could have had Valentine AND Skal. I would have never done it, to draft Chriss at least, but we'll have to see how things unfold. Huge test to our development ability, which is a problem with the guards still at the helm. Ullis is universally applauded as a floor general but there needs to be a trade involving at least one of the PGs for him to make an impact. Hate how almost everything comes down to the trade of one or both guards.
We stole the 8th pick from Sacramento. Bogdans value went down when he refused to come over this year since his contract will now go way up. And there is really no way to know how his skills will translate. Sonny Weems looked all-world two years ago in Europe. Great use of a marginal asset.
You are right that we don't know how he will translate. I don't see him as a marginal asset at all, though.
And the comparison to Sonny Weems is ridiculous.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC wrote:
As for the latter issue, McD was careful to temper expectations during the presser. He doesn't expect to make the playoffs this season. Watson's mandate is to develop the young talent for the future, which is exactly how it should be.
Doesn't expect to make the playoffs? I'm sure Bledsoe, Knight and Chandler will enjoy hearing that. Just so I'm clear...we're going to play our vets, while developing young talent for the future, without being a playoff team. That's asssuming, of course, we do intend to keep our vets....

[youtube][/youtube]
bledsoe, knight and chandler are all mcdo big free agent signings. if he gives up on them and decide to tank again this season, HE'S DONE!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm watching the draft presser now. (http://www.nba.com/suns/draft-central-2016)

Recap, for those who haven't caught it:

McD: Between those two guys [Bender and Chriss] we went back and forth and deliberated. It was split almost right down the middle among our staff. Among the front office, the coaching staff, ownership.
I would sure like to know who wanted whom.

McD also said a lot about agents controlling the draft process. Not letting their guy work out for certain teams. Not releasing medical info, etc. He claims that we had against calling us saying "My guy want sot be in PHX" because Watson has the reputation for being a great player development coach and giving good hugs.
Obviously, he will put the best light on things, but we did get a ton of guys in for workouts.

Watson believes all three rooks already have some NBA ready skills. It's just a matter of using them right and developing them right. "Our time frame is a little bit quicker than others." Thinks they can be on the floor together becasue they can both shoot and defend the perimeter.

McD: "Lack of depth at PG hurt us last year"
No, injuries hurt us. We don't need 4 starting PGs. Sometimes you just have bad luck. You collect your draft pick and move on.

Interviewer: "With such young guys, how do you manage expectations?"
McD: "These guys might surprise some people... They have unique talents and abilities. Does that translate to winning games? I don't know. Historically it doesn't when you're laying young players." Next sentence: "But you saw what Watson did with a depleted roster last season finishing 9-15."
Do you expect to win or not?!
OK, then he says he does not expect to win 48 games (like a few years ago), but they will try to exceed expectations. Fair enough.

Watson thinks Chandler will be excited to play with the new guys.

McD: Looking to add one more PF via free agency. Not trying to have the youngest team in the L. Trying to win as many as we can.
Me: <pulls out hair>

McD: Chriss is not immature. He is inexperienced. Bender is not a mystery. We know him well and are very comfortable with him. Yes, they can play together.

Most used word: Unique. These are three unique talents.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
You are right that we don't know how he will translate. I don't see him as a marginal asset at all, though.
And the comparison to Sonny Weems is ridiculous.
Absolutely, although I see where he is coming from.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote: McD: Looking to add one more PF via free agency. Not trying to have the youngest team in the L. Trying to win as many as we can.
Me: <pulls out hair>
He wasn't talking about throwing the max at Horford. He was talking about resigning Teletovic or Leuer or bringing in another FA on about that level. That's common sense. No matter how much we like the potential of Bender and Chriss, we don't want to go into the season with those two very raw talents as the only PFs on the roster.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Not sure how people can be all that upset. This is what a full rebuild looks like.

Ulis
Booker : Goodwin
TJ
Bender : Chriss
Len

That is seven rookie contracts going into the season with at least 5 of them set to get solid minutes.

We do need a vet forward that will be okay with a diminishing role as the year goes on. That should be pretty easy to find on the FA market.

I still want to get rid of one of our guards but what do we take back? Playing time will be tight.

Blesdoe : Ulis
Booker : Goodwin
PJ : TJ
Vet PF : Bender : Chriss
Len : Chandler

If Chandler really wants out we just need to make sure the vet big we pick up can play both pf and the center spot.

I really don't want any disgruntled players on the team at the start of next season.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I can't really judge the draft. I don't follow college ball and don't really know anybody aside from people talking about them here. One thing I do know and that is that nobody really knows how any of these guys will turn out. #1s turn into busts and second rounders turn into gems sometimes and you don't find out until years later.

We needed PFs and got the two best according the last posted article. We couldn't decide on which one and got both and picked up Bookers ex teammate/buddy as well. Let's see what happens in free agency now.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I am happy about this draft. I think we will be as excited in the future about Ulis as the other two. Not that he will be better, but just the value we got in the second round.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looking ahead to 2017 for those interested and that have insider

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/ ... fultz-more

Highlights:
In 2017, point guards take five of the 10 spots in our top 10. That's welcome news for NBA teams who have seen a dearth of point guards in the draft the past several years.
Could land our pg of the future next year. Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, Frank Ntilikina, Dennis Smith, D'Aaron Fox, Kobi Simmons are all big time prospects.

Draft is loaded at the 3 as well: Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum, Jonathon Issac are all potential high lotto picks.
I think only Simmons and Ingram would've cracked the top 10 in 2017. That's impressive.
Way too early to really know, but the draft looks loaded.

*D'Aaron Fox is committed to Kentucky, so he's gotta be our pick next year, right?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Based on some articles, I get the feeling that Watson was in the Chriss camp.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Based on some articles, I get the feeling that Watson was in the Chriss camp.
which ones?

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:Based on some articles, I get the feeling that Watson was in the Chriss camp.
which ones?
If you listen to McDonough from KTAR today he tells a story about Watson purposely throwing bad lobs to see if Chriss could get them and finish them. He said Watson claims to have played with very few guys that could do what Chriss can do athletically.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What we do with Knight will be interesting. With the cap rising, it's hard to send out salary and not take at least the equivalent amount back. But what player or combination of players makes $15/year and sense for our team and direction? What position would we even trade Knight for?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think you'd want a wing, preferably a 3 that could backup the 2.

When asked about free agency today, mcdonough mentioned a few things. We have depth, we value position versatility and shooting and we'd look at people who fit our timeline. He mentioned our core is 26 and younger. He also mentioned 25 to 30 million of cap space.

So if you take him at his word, we should be targeting a 27 and younger shooter who can play multiple positions. Also with our depth, we'll probably target 1 guy and we've got max money to offer.

Who fits that description?
Harrison Barnes?
Jordan Clarkson?
Nic Batum?
Chandler Parsons?
Terrence Jones?
Allen Crabbe?
Evan Fournier
Kent Bazemore?
Evan Turner?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
Who fits that description?
Harrison Barnes?
Jordan Clarkson?
Nic Batum?
Chandler Parsons?
Terrence Jones?
Allen Crabbe?
Evan Fournier
Kent Bazemore?
Evan Turner?
My thoughts:

Harrison Barnes - I'd be interested at 12-15 mil a year, but he's gonna get overpaid, probably 18-20 mil. I'd pass.
Jordan Clarkson - Probably have to overpay to steal him, don't know that he provides what we lack. He can only play 1-2. Pass.
Nic Batum - If he was 2 or 3 years younger, he'd be by far my first choice. He's long, athletic, plays D, shoots 3's, and is a very smart player. A little older, but at 27 he's still in his prime and has a game that will last awhile. I'd be interested, probably the only "vet" i'd consider.
Chandler Parsons - Batum is better in every way and a few months younger. Pass
Terrence Jones - Best suited for the 4, I think he'd just get in the way of Chriss and Bender. Pass
Allen Crabbe - Good shooter, not great defensively though and is best suited for the 2. Not a terrible option, but i'd lean elsewhere.
Evan Fournier - WOuldn't be able to play with Booker, Orlando is going to match anyways. Pass.
Kent Bazemore - 25 or 26, athletic, can shoot a bit. Could replace tucker in the lineup. Wouldn't be able to guard 4's like tucker, but he'd be a better perimeter defender. I'd be interested.
Evan Turner - Batum is better and younger again. Pass

SDC

Post by SDC »

“When they passed on me, I was like, ‘Aw, man,’ “ Chriss said of the Suns choosing Dragan Bender at No. 4 on Thursday night.

What the Suns did next showed the Washington freshman nearly as much love. The Suns sent a package of 13th and 28 picks, Bogdan Bogdanovic’s rights and a 2020 second-round choice to grab Sacramento’s No. 8 pick and add Chriss to a teenage power forward tandem.
chriss is mcdo's guy. but bender is the "safer" pick at 4.

mcdo rightly predicted that NO OTHER TEAM wanted chriss at 5, 6, 7, so he drafted bender first and crossed his fingers that he'll get chriss later.