Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wormwood

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Wormwood »

Utah did very well. I'm really not happy about the Suns standing pat, or waiting for Rubio to fall out at the end of free agency. Sure, he's an improvement, but he's probably only good for a 22-25 win season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am
Warren for Dinwiddie. Please.
Yeah, I would even do Warren and MIL's pick, or even pick swap with BRK next year for it.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

jonh wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 am
carey wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 am
Conley to Utah according to Shams.
Sounds like a reasonable deal the Suns could have matched.
Sigh. We just stand pat and watch every other team aggressively improve their roster

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:47 am
jonh wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 am
carey wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 am
Conley to Utah according to Shams.
Sounds like a reasonable deal the Suns could have matched.
Sigh. We just stand pat and watch every other team aggressively improve their roster
James sits back and says, "I will not be pressured. Patience...."
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Who knows? They may have been doing Conley a favor by trying to place him on a contender. It seems like the perfect fit for him.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:53 am
Who knows? They may have been doing Conley a favor by trying to place him on a contender. It seems like the perfect fit for him.
Exactly. They have been pretty vocal about doing what they can for their players.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Fucking balls. I really hate being a Suns fan. He was totally gettable.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Utah gave up a decent amount. They would have wanted warren, Tyler and two firsts. Too much for a veteran presence that would be gone when we’re ready to contend.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:40 am
Utah gave up a decent amount. They would have wanted warren, Tyler and two firsts. Too much for a veteran presence that would be gone when we’re ready to contend.
They gave up garbage. Salary ballast, the 21st pick in last years draft, the 23rd pick in this bad draft and a protected future first.

I wouldn't have had a problem giving up Warren/Jackson, Tyler, Okobo/Melton, the Milwaukee pick and the same protections on future picks. How is that not a better offer?

And there's no reason Conley couldn't play for us for 5 more seasons. He still playing at an incredibly high level. Once his mega-contract is done, you resign him to a more reasonable one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 am
Split T wrote:
They gave up garbage. Salary ballast, the 21st pick in last years draft, the 23rd pick in this bad draft and a protected future first.

I wouldn't have had a problem giving up Warren/Jackson, Tyler, Okobo/Melton, the Milwaukee pick and the same protections on future picks. How is that not a better offer?

And there's no reason Conley couldn't play for us for 5 more seasons. He still playing at an incredibly high level. Once his mega-contract is done, you resign him to a more reasonable one.
Because they got rid of Conley's 67M/2 years and now are only on the hook for a total of 12 million. Utah saved them 55M in just two years, and gave them two picks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And I love Conley, but I can't see him playing until 37.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Good fit for Dallas

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 am

Good fit for Dallas
Of course. Cuban is a man on a mission. You just knew they weren’t going to be down for long. Man I wish he owned the Suns.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Doncic KP Horford is a great start

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

The more I sit with this the more upset I am that we didn't find a way to get him. I would give up 2 picks for him if they were as protected as what Utah sent. But I also don't think we had anywhere near the savings they got. I keep looking at our contracts and if they wanted to clear every last bit of Conley's salary by the end of this coming season, and clear as much cap space as possible, what could we have offered?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:16 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

The more I sit with this the more upset I am that we didn't find a way to get him. I would give up 2 picks for him if they were as protected as what Utah sent. But I also don't think we had anywhere near the savings they got. I keep looking at our contracts and if they wanted to clear every last bit of Conley's salary by the end of this coming season, and clear as much cap space as possible, what could we have offered?
The sixth pick.

We can’t offer salary relief as much, but we could certainly get close and have given a better pick.

The sixth pick is well worth Mike Conley for 3-4 years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

The sixth pick.

We can’t offer salary relief as much, but we could certainly get close and have given a better pick.

I am not sure they see someone there at 6 that they like as much as the cash savings to go after FAs. And Conley only has 2 years on his contract.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And of course the 6th pick is worth 2 year of Conley.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:26 pm
And of course the 6th pick is worth 2 year of Conley.
I wouldn’t trade for Conley with intentions of him only being around for 2 years. I agree with above his game translates well to playing into his mid 30s.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:

The sixth pick.

If we offered Tyler (expiring), Jackson (they decline his option) and Melton, they would have no salary beyond next season. Add the Milwaukee pick and next year's protected first and Memphis clears $34M for '20-21, gains 2 draft picks and gets a look at 2 young players that both fit the Grit-n-Grind model. Memphis could probably also re-route Jackson to a 3rd team for draft considerations if the space was more important to them.