All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:58 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:56 am
Typically, where there's smoke there's fire. And the Suns easily could've put word out to Gambo or just released a statement saying they weren't trading DA and that he's part of the core. The Gambo tweets were them preparing us for this.
Yep. As soon as Gambo started pushing this, my heart sunk. Knew there was probably some truth to it. The dude (Gambo) prevails.
Yep. It was clear that Ayton was gone when Gambo started gassing up Nurk.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Adios bum. I hope you enjoy the weed and carne asada fries in Portland.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:12 pm
I don't wish ill on DA but I hope the Blazers win 25 games while playing shitty, disorganized basketball under Billups so DA gets a full view of how good he had it here. But it's more likely he's happy being the focus of the offense, puts up 24 and 8 with no accountability from Billups and tells everyone he's playing like an All-Star.
This, 100%.

I fully expect his counting stats to look great, but those numbers will not be contributing to winning basketball.
That being said, I need to update my pre-draft rankings in the .net fantasy league; Ayton is now a dark horse for solid contibutions there lol.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

3TheHardaway wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:43 pm
ShelC wrote:
I don't wish ill on DA but I hope the Blazers win 25 games while playing shitty, disorganized basketball under Billups so DA gets a full view of how good he had it here. But it's more likely he's happy being the focus of the offense, puts up 24 and 8 with no accountability from Billups and tells everyone he's playing like an All-Star.
This, 100%.

I fully expect his counting stats to look great, but those numbers will not be contributing to winning basketball.
That being said, I need to update my pre-draft rankings in the .net fantasy league; Ayton is now a dark horse for solid contibutions there lol.
Thanks for reminding me... LOL!

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:40 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:58 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:56 am
Typically, where there's smoke there's fire. And the Suns easily could've put word out to Gambo or just released a statement saying they weren't trading DA and that he's part of the core. The Gambo tweets were them preparing us for this.
Yep. As soon as Gambo started pushing this, my heart sunk. Knew there was probably some truth to it. The dude (Gambo) prevails.
Yep. It was clear that Ayton was gone when Gambo started gassing up Nurk.
I'll give Gambo credit on this... Kudos to him, but wish he would have been wrong.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:17 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:08 am
I don’t know, it seems inevitable to me…I just worry about the return. I’m preparing for it to be something like Nurkic and Little or someone on that level.
I know you want Ayton gone, but you’re misreading the situation.

The Suns are not shopping Ayton. They are not looking to trade him. Portland highly covets Ayton and wants him included in a Dame deal. The Suns are simply telling Portland that this is going nowhere if you don’t include Sharpe (as an example, per Flex).

They are not going to trade Ayton just to get rid of him. There is no reason to think that anything has changed in this regard from July. In fact, the opposite is likely true: the Suns value him even more after the Bahamas tournament.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Definitively the end of an era, I don’t know how are going to compensate for all the lost production that we are about to endure, it will have to be a team effort. This guy put up numbers even in his sleep, and added a really different dimension, with an attitude rarely seen it around here. He is going to make Portland better, I’m sure some people are already looking forward to him joining them over there. Many times I clashed with his antics, but I have to say it: Jeremy G, you were one of a kind, in a separate class by yourself!!!

And regarding Ayton, even if this trade was a dollar for 4 dimes… if the dollar is fake, are we really downgrading? Pretty sure the team see this as adition by substraction, and no way the repeating stars from last season were not totally on board to pull the trigger, considering how awful it looks, still it means that’s how awful Booker and KD felt about keeping Ayton around.

I am firmly against contributing to get this thread to 200 pages, bit it felt right to do it today, so I could skip the Good Riddance thread on Ayton as well.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

3TheHardaway wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:43 pm
ShelC wrote:
This, 100%.

That ... sounds a lot like his rookie season in Phoenix, so he already knows what getting his teeth kicked in sixty times in a season feels like.

One might almost think that, if he appreciated winning above some vague feeling of being appreciated or being able to play however he wants or the self-satisfaction of getting 20 shots a game, that he'd have worked on ways that he could best contribute to the winning situation that he was already a part of. But it seems like his priorities revolve around getting paid and feeling like "the man," so maybe tanking/rebuilding Portland is what he's actually been looking for.

My eulogy for his time here: I've essentially never really been mad at Ayton, but I've almost always been disappointed in him. So much physical potential to be an impactful, winning player, to actually "fix the paint" and dominAyt. So few actual results, so many excuses; so many times when he seemed on the verge of "getting it," so many regressions to below the mean.

Bye, Deandre. You may be gone, but you'll always be with us as a big old addition to the "what-if" file.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wish I could like that post twice and I already used a gif for Aztec. Well said.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Time to retire my Ayton quote. This will be my last post that includes it. However, it's the reason I'm not too torn up today. It gets to the heart of his deep imaginAyton versus reality.

"I play as physical as it gets. Maybe I am playing too hard." - Deandre Ayton

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Burns & Gambo asked the question, "Who is the most anticipated athlete to leave a Valley team, that you were following to see how they do the next season?" Or somethng like that. Personally, I could care less about following Ayton next year. He can do good or bad, I don't care. I follow Mikal and Cam Johnson, and I would even like to see how Toumani does more than I care about how Ayton does. I have total apathy towards him in Portland, tbph.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Funny thing is, the Blazers were terrible and he's still not the best player on that team now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s probably 3rd(Simons and Grant). Maybe even Scoot

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:19 pm
He’s probably 3rd(Simons and Grant). Maybe even Scoot
Still part of the big four!

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s definitely worth developing for them though. I gotta imagine Grant will be trade bait at some point as well. Maybe even Simons. Scoot/Sharpe/Ayton is probably their core going forward. Plus whatever they can acquire from Grant and/or Simons.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Y’all have such Hayton blinders on. He will be Portland’s leading scorer and leading rebounder this year.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:16 pm
Y’all have such Hayton blinders on. He will be Portland’s leading scorer and leading rebounder this year.
You wanna put a bet on that? I don’t care about the rebounding, he better be the leading rebounder, he’s their center, but on the scoring?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:18 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:16 pm
You wanna put a bet on that? I don’t care about the rebounding, he better be the leading rebounder, he’s their center, but on the scoring?
Absolutely. They just traded arguably the number one player in franchise history for him. You really think they don’t plan on utilizing him?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.