All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:20 am
What’s crazy to think about is that we clearly would have kept Ayton to start the season if Dame hadn’t demanded a trade.
I don’t know about clearly…we might have just made the trade anyways with Portland. Kevin Knox and a couple 2nds to replace Allen

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:40 am
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:20 am
What’s crazy to think about is that we clearly would have kept Ayton to start the season if Dame hadn’t demanded a trade.
I don’t know about clearly…we might have just made the trade anyways with Portland. Kevin Knox and a couple 2nds to replace Allen
Gambo still insists they were only interested in Ayton if moving on from Dame.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

A couple days ago you didn’t believe Gambo anymore…

It’s possible their only interest was after a dame trade, but it might’ve been more because our asking price was higher. Maybe we value Grayson a lot and were requiring Sharpe as part of the deal if just with Portland.

We’ll never really know, but I have a hard time believing they were only interested if trading Dame. It makes more sense that it was just connected to Dame because Portland liked Ayton and we were a team willing to take Nurkic. I doubt the teams taking Dame wanted Nurk.

TOO

Post by TOO »

And the Suns wanted off Ayton so bad that they didnt care what people or fans thought about the return. Think about that, they used Gambo to gas up Nurkic to soften the inevitable deal. Feels like Gambo and Ishbia might be buds.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:21 pm

It’s possible their only interest was after a dame trade, but it might’ve been more because our asking price was higher. Maybe we value Grayson a lot and were requiring Sharpe as part of the deal if just with Portland.

We’ll never really know, but I have a hard time believing they were only interested if trading Dame. It makes more sense that it was just connected to Dame because Portland liked Ayton and we were a team willing to take Nurkic. I doubt the teams taking Dame wanted Nurk.
I didn’t doubt Gambo’s Portland sources, and I didn’t doubt the Suns would listen to offers. I just doubted they would be stupid enough to pull the trigger.

And if what you say is true, then why didn’t Portland push hard for an Ayton trade in May or June to try to quickly make Dame happier so he wouldn’t request a trade?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe they did and we said no because they wouldn’t include Sharpe. Needed a third team to add something to push it over the edge.

Would fit with why Gambo said we weren’t interested.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:51 pm
Split T wrote:

I didn’t doubt Gambo’s Portland sources, and I didn’t doubt the Suns would listen to offers. I just doubted they would be stupid enough to pull the trigger.

And if what you say is true, then why didn’t Portland push hard for an Ayton trade in May or June to try to quickly make Dame happier so he wouldn’t request a trade?
Acquiring DA is not going to move the needle for any superstar looking to win. Look how fed up Book seemed. DA doesn’t have much respect around the league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:09 pm
Maybe they did and we said no because they wouldn’t include Sharpe. Needed a third team to add something to push it over the edge.

Would fit with why Gambo said we weren’t interested.
Gambo said Portland wasn't interested, immediately after a report came out saying that they were. And he still maintains that they only were interested if moving on from Dame.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:19 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:51 pm
Split T wrote:

Acquiring DA is not going to move the needle for any superstar looking to win. Look how fed up Book seemed. DA doesn’t have much respect around the league.
That would only make my point stronger: they didn't want to trade for Ayton unless Dame was gone, per Gambo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Classy message from DA.

Between this DA trade and the KD trade, I feel like this front office is getting fleeced. We never seem to get picks in a trade; we always have to package a bunch of picks or throw in an extra player, and we never seen to get maximum value. It is telling that in 3 huge recent trades, despite all 3 opposing teams needing to get rid of their guy or their guy wanting out, we still managed not to outmuscle any of them.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How did we not out muscle Washington for Beal? We got him for CP3 and 2nd round picks…and they took Shamet and had to throw in Goodwin

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:42 pm
It was kinda nice to read this and just be happy for DA. Seems like a great person and I wish him the best the rest of his career…except against us…I hope we get at least a couple fadeaway jumpers with Bradley Beal on him.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

ShelC wrote:
And, honestly, it feels to me like that should be the end of this thread.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

BKinSJC wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:32 pm
ShelC wrote:
Lock it! He doesn’t deserve another word spoke about him. Exhausting.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:48 am
Let's face it. Sarver and McDonough failed to do a thorough job of vetting their choice. They just looked at the physical side and skipped the mental side. They had their minds made up early.
I was just having a discussion with a longtime friend and well known college coach about this yesterday. He was telling me that when his mentor was working as a scout for the Hawks, they had a scouting report the size of a book on someone that was expected to go #16. Everything gets vetted, history, mental fortitude, everything... He had no idea how they didn't say no f'ing way immediately when they saw some obvious red flags on Ayton.

Makes me wonder if their scouting budget and department cuts in the McDonough/Sarver days really bit them in the backside.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BKinSJC wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:32 pm
ShelC wrote:
In a perfect world, it would be.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SunsShine

Post by SunsShine »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:16 pm
How did we not out muscle Washington for Beal? We got him for CP3 and 2nd round picks…and they took Shamet and had to throw in Goodwin
We did have the fortune of Beal having a NTC, which allowed him to dictate where he wanted to go and what pieces he got traded for. I definitely think we sold the farm for KD, but Ishbia seemed determined to make a major splash after just becoming our owner by any means necessary. The Ayton trade is what it is. His trade value simply wasn’t there and our front office took what was offered for him. If nothing else, this team’s depth only further improved which was already looking solid after free agency.

Also, hello everyone. I have been lurking this board for a while and you all provide such tremendous insight on our team. Looking forward to discussing Suns basketball with all of you.
Last edited by SunsShine on Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.