Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:I may be totally off on this, and it's possible that Exum turns out to be a huge star, but I think there is a better chance that Goodwin may end up being better.
McDonough probably agrees with you. I would say you're both wrong. Time will tell.
You're right, I could be entirely wrong about both. I liked Exum a lot, when I saw him play in the Worlds and the Hoop Summit. I just have a feeling about Goodwin. Might be gas though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'll also add that I think Exum is Penny Hardaway without the injuries and delusions.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:I don't think Archie Goodwin will even be better than Zach LaVine.
LaVine has some skills that are crazy, and may be much better in a SG role, than the one projected as a PG. You could be right about that too, just think it's going to take LaVine a little longer to get there.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think youre selling Archie a bit short, his ability to get to the rim is really good for a kid with no strength. He's also flashed some real defensive potential.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think youre selling Archie a bit short, his ability to get to the rim is really good for a kid with no strength. He's also flashed some real defensive potential.
Right, his defensive potential, getting to the rim, creating contact, improved form on his jump shot, all word about him having the best work ethic on the team, word that he knew the offense better than anyone on the team, how he seems to have a little 'F You' in him, all these things make me pretty darn bullish on him.

I wouldn't be opposed to having Exum, Goodwin, and LaVine on the team together.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ladies and gentemen:

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLET'S GET READY TO ROSTERBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Boy, am I glad none of you are connected to the Suns' front office.....

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think youre selling Archie a bit short, his ability to get to the rim is really good for a kid with no strength. He's also flashed some real defensive potential.
I'm not disputing any of that. I'm just saying I think Exum and LaVine are better.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:This would be my plan/dream offseason:

1. Send Archie Goowin, the #27 pick, 2015 Lakers pick, the Minnesota pick to the Lakers for the #7 pick and Steve Nash. Draft Dante Exum at #7.

2. A three team deal yielding the following:

Charlotte receives - Channing Frye, #14 and #50 picks
Sacramento receives - Markieff Morris, Marucs Morris, Ish Smith, Brendan Haywood and #18 pick
Phoenix receives - Jason Terry, Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, and the #8 and #9 picks

Draft Aaron Gordon at 8, Zach LaVine at 9.

Come free agency, sign and trade Eric Bledsoe for Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, and a future second rounder.

Resign P.J. Tucker

PG: Goran Dragic, Kemba Walker, Dante Exum
SG: Jason Terry, Gerald Green, Zach LaVine
SF: P.J. Tucker
PF: Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon
C: Miles Plumlee, Alex Len, Bismack Biyombo

Use training camp to figure out rotations and to see how ready the rookies are. They may not need to be that low in the depth chart. Have the training staff work on Terry's knee, and see if he can give you 18 mpg. See if you can work some magic with Derrick Williams and Jason Thompson to rescue them from perpetual underachievement.

Williams, Terry, Biyombo (decline his final season), and Green would all be expiring contracts.
Waaay too much to give up in that first trade. That Lakers pick is a really good piece.

I'd do #2, but we get back a lot of blah talent with expectations of playing time.

Also, is your depth chart in order of playing time or just random? Terry shouldn't get minutes over any of the other guards on that list. He's done. Buyout fodder.

I also am pretty underwhelmed by our 4/5 rotation when it's all said and done. 6 guys who can't make a 15 footer (Thompson is decent from mid-range). It would be hard to find pairings that you can play together.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:Waaay too much to give up in that first trade. That Lakers pick is a really good piece.
You think the Lakers 2015 pick is going to be better than the #7 pick in this draft?
Shabazz wrote:we get back a lot of blah talent with expectations of playing time
Thompson and Williams have rode the pine in Sacramento at various times. I'm not sure why they would expect more playing time on a better team.
Shabazz wrote:Also, is your depth chart in order of playing time or just random?
I thought I answered that with this:
Use training camp to figure out rotations and to see how ready the rookies are. They may not need to be that low in the depth chart. Have the training staff work on Terry's knee, and see if he can give you 18 mpg. See if you can work some magic with Derrick Williams and Jason Thompson to rescue them from perpetual underachievement.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote: I also am pretty underwhelmed by our 4/5 rotation when it's all said and done. 6 guys who can't make a 15 footer (Thompson is decent from mid-range). It would be hard to find pairings that you can play together.
The 4/5 spots weren't meant to be assembled as finished, impressive products. I'd spend the year seeing what improvement Len and/or Plumlee can make if any. I'm not sure what you mean by 6 guys who can't make a 15 footer when you already point out Thompson is decent from mid-range. Derrick Williams has 3-point range, and Aaron Gordon showed a limited ability to hit the long ball too. But I'm not putting any expectations on the rookies. We'd see where they were in training camp. But over the summer, you of course would have Gordon working on his jumpshot essentially all day every day.

I'd probably pick up Anthony Tolliver for the minimum.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote: I also am pretty underwhelmed by our 4/5 rotation when it's all said and done. 6 guys who can't make a 15 footer (Thompson is decent from mid-range). It would be hard to find pairings that you can play together.
The 4/5 spots weren't meant to be assembled as finished, impressive products. I'd spend the year seeing what improvement Len and/or Plumlee can make if any. I'm not sure what you mean by 6 guys who can't make a 15 footer when you already point out Thompson is decent from mid-range. Derrick Williams has 3-point range, and Aaron Gordon showed a limited ability to hit the long ball too. But I'm not putting any expectations on the rookies. We'd see where they were in training camp. But over the summer, you of course would have Gordon working on his jumpshot essentially all day every day.

He's decent, but not reliable and nothing special. And are you really claiming Derrick Williams has 3 point range with a straight face? I didn't say he can't shoot them. Just that he can't make them. He's brutal from 3.

With those 6 you're virtually guaranteed to trot out two lane-clogging, offensively limited bigs at once. I don't think that's what' the Hornacek and McDonough are going for and it's very hard to play effective basketball with those limitations.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

He's decent, but not reliable and nothing special. And are you really claiming Derrick Williams has 3 point range with a straight face? I didn't say he can't shoot them. Just that he can't make them. He's brutal from 3.

With those 6 you're virtually guaranteed to trot out two lane-clogging, offensively limited bigs at once. I don't think that's what' the Hornacek and McDonough are going for and it's very hard to play effective basketball with those limitations.
To quote Otter: Forget it, he's rolling. ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

He's brutal from 3.
Just a year ago he made 65 3's on 33% shooting. That's not brutal. I'm not saying he's a marksman. I'm just saying he has the range and I would be surprised if the Suns could get him to be a reliable threat.

But ok, you have concerns about the floor spacing. Got it.

SDC

Post by SDC »

virtual9mm wrote:Mori -- agreed that someone can (and actually already did) offer a much nicer deal. Just don't think that the Suns should do it.

Inf -- agree as well that the offer is pretty much a lowball, I guess I meant that would be what I would be willing to offer.

Swingy -- if the T-Pups make a deal with Sacramento for the package they are offering , we swoop in on Love next year.
he'd rather play somewhere else. and i dont want to overpay for this overrated player.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:I think you are overlooking Goran's troubles handling the ball when things get hot. Sometimes he has to face double teams or a certain type of defender and he'll pick up his dribble too soon. In my opinion he needs someone with real PG handles, plus relevant perimeter defense.
I think you're overstating the issue.
I might be, but I've seen it enough times to know that it is a flaw in Goran's game, and one that gets mitigated a lot with a player like Bledsoe by his side, who for these purposes runs circles around the likes of Avery Bradley or catch and shoot guards.
there's no flaw in goran's game other than he's not an elite shooter. and he speaks poor english, which can hurt if he's trying to communicate with teammates.

SDC

Post by SDC »

In2ition wrote:I would love to keep Dragic, but I wonder if him playing with the Slovenian team this summer has made him expendable because he is not listening to the Suns and giving his ankles rest instead. Yes, he has been loyal, and yes he has already outplayed his contract, and yes he is one of the most likable players in the NBA, but there is also the flip. Is he attractive to stars in the league to play with? Is he going to be more and more injury prone until he gets his ankles fixed?
it may take dragic to get love, get er done mcdo! but only if love signs an extension in advance.
Last edited by SDC on Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:This would be my plan/dream offseason:

1. Send Archie Goowin, the #27 pick, 2015 Lakers pick, the Minnesota pick to the Lakers for the #7 pick and Steve Nash. Draft Dante Exum at #7.

2. A three team deal yielding the following:

Charlotte receives - Channing Frye, #14 and #50 picks
Sacramento receives - Markieff Morris, Marucs Morris, Ish Smith, Brendan Haywood and #18 pick
Phoenix receives - Jason Terry, Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, and the #8 and #9 picks

Draft Aaron Gordon at 8, Zach LaVine at 9.

Come free agency, sign and trade Eric Bledsoe for Kemba Walker, Bismack Biyombo, and a future second rounder.

Resign P.J. Tucker

PG: Goran Dragic, Kemba Walker, Dante Exum
SG: Jason Terry, Gerald Green, Zach LaVine
SF: P.J. Tucker
PF: Jason Thompson, Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon
C: Miles Plumlee, Alex Len, Bismack Biyombo

Williams, Terry, Biyombo (decline his final season), and Green would all be expiring contracts.
i really think the suns has a shot at trading for the lakers pick. kobe is in win now mode and not interested in rebuilding. mitch kupchak will try to please kobe. help the lakers with a sign and trade deal involving bledsoe?

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:I'll also add that I think Exum is Penny Hardaway without the injuries and delusions.
why do you say that, have you seen enough of him? have u seen all the australia U19 games last year (or was it two yrs ago)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If I were the Lakers I wouldn't do #7 and Nash for Archie, 27, LAL 2015 and Minni's pick, and wouldn't even remotely think about it if Exum was available with my pick.

The relative utility is just too low. Cap relief is great but they can get 6M of it just by biting the bullet and stretching Nash over three years, which wouldn't be ideal but it avoids making me weaker in negotiations like this one.

Having my pick back is also nice but it has very little chance of landing a better prospect than Exum next year, and if the worst happened I'd be using it anyway. And if I plan to win again as soon as possible, and spend accordingly (just three less millions since I'd rather waive Nash), I probably don't think of that pick as a surefire lottery one, at least say top6-10.

Adding Minni's pick, Archie and #27 is sweet but just don't weight enough to make me consider giving up Exum.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote:why do you say that
The way he attacks opposing guards in the post, his athleticism, and his ability to get his shot off. His close range floater/jumper, is also reminiscent of Orlando Penny.
SDC wrote:have you seen enough of him
Nope.