2016 NBA DRAFT

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
da_suns_fan

Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT

Post by da_suns_fan »

Just remember to take the "Grades" with a grain of salt. The draft is a crap-shoot. Teams spend millions of dollars figuring out who to pick and five years later we look back and say almost everyone got it wrong, including the "graders".

ESPN gave us a "C" when we drafted Amare/Casey. Someone from the SportingNews gave the Spurs a "D" for drafting Kawhi Leonard and an "A" for drafting Jimmer Fredette.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Notable undrafted free agents:

Marshall Plumlee to the Knicks, Perry Ellis on his way to join Mavs summer league team.
The Rockets got Gary Payton III; very nice signing.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Most of the pundits are giving us A's. INF gave us an F. Unfortunately there's no more room in my sig for this difference of opinion.

Found this on the ASFN forum:
Just thought I would track TEAM draft grades as they are made available. I only posted the Suns snippets but there are complete article links posted below. Just thought it would be fun to see the consensus which seems to be the Suns had a fantastic night. When I see more tomorrow I will update this.

Bleacher Report - A
High-risk, high-reward Thursday for the Suns. If Dragan Bender, Marquese Chriss and Tyler Ulis reach their ceilings, this could be an impact class for years to come.

USAToday - WINNERS (Overall #1)
The backcourt-heavy Suns struck gold on Thursday night, selecting the two most talented big men in the draft not named Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. They managed to nab 7-foot-1 Croatian forward Dragan Bender with the fourth pick, followed by a trade with the Sacramento Kings that landed them the versatile 6-10 forward from Washington, Marquese Chriss. Both bring a different skill set to the table, and together, the Suns can walk away from the draft with their heads held high. With the starting power forward spot pretty much up for grabs with Mirza Teletovic as the team's most viable option at the position, both Bender and Chriss should see immediate playing time, as the Suns look to build on last year's 23-win season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /86324290/

CBS Sports - (A)
The Suns had a lot of picks in this draft and essentially did what the Celtics couldn't. They consolidated them into a single resource for a player they wanted. First, they took Bender, the No. 4 overall player on my board and just an absolutely tremendous fit for what they want to do. Then, they moved No. 13, No. 28 and Bogdanovic to move up and grab Chriss, a home run swing, upside player that could really work out as a stretch-four next to Bender if he grows into his role as a center. Here's what it comes down to. Yeah, they ended up picking two players in the same position. But they're both high upside players who could become all-stars, and the move to No. 8 was for the last player in a tier in Chriss. This is how things are supposed to get done when you have a lot of picks. Oh, and they took one of my favorite prospects in the draft in Ulis, who is just a gamer in every sense of the word. He'll figure out an NBA role.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2016- ... aft-night/

The Washington Post - WINNERS
As stated earlier, it was hard to find too many winners on a confusing night. But the Suns wound up being on the list because they took chances on two big, talented forwards inside the top 10 picks.

Croatian forward Dragan Bender was the selection at No. 4, and the Suns traded up to get Marquese Chriss at No. 8. Chriss shot up draft boards in recent weeks, though he’s a raw prospect with plenty to learn, while Bender has been projected to be high in this draft for years. If either one turns into the star they’re capable of being, Phoenix will have had a terrific night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s ... t-so-much/

ABCNews - WINNERS
The Suns landed the top two stretch power forwards in the draft in Croatia's Dragan Bender and Washington's Marquese Chriss. Power forward was their biggest need, and they added two very talented players.

Chriss is the freakiest athlete in the draft. Bender is one of the most skilled players, especially at his size of 7-foot-1. They'll be able to play together in some lineups.

Based on the haul of pure talent, the Suns won the night.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/big-winner ... d=40095712

SportingNews.com - WINNERS
Phoenix entered the draft with giant holes up front and a willingness to break up its Eric Bledsoe-Brandon Knight backcourt to address the problem. Instead, the Suns managed to pilfer the two players they coveted most, Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss, a pair of young guys who have the potential to play on the perimeter, run the floor and develop into prototypical modern bigs. What’s more, the Suns will enter the summer not only with plenty of cap space, but with the ability to still ship either Bledsoe or Knight for more depth elsewhere on the roster.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/lis...- ... 12/slide/1

HuffintonPost - WINNERS
The Suns and their incredible cap flexibility entered draft night with three picks. They made a huge splash by nabbing 7-foot-1 Croatian product Dragan Bender, only to then make a deal with Sacramento to acquire fellow 18-year-old Washington freshman Marquese Chriss. Both of these prospects are oozing with potential: Bender is a natural four man — a fluid pick-and-pop man who can run — while Chriss, at 6-foot-10, can become a two-way three because of his elite athleticism. Recently extended head coach Earl Watson has told HuffPost that he wants to run and he wants flexible players. Bender and Chriss fit perfectly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...o ... b1bbba1cf4

FOXSPORTS - (A-)
Phoenix Suns
It feels kind of weird for Phoenix to draft both Bender and Chriss (since their games are so similar), but maybe the Suns' plan is to grab both and hope one turns into a legitimate NBA star (the good news is, Phoenix has no designs on winning anytime soon, so both should have plenty of time to develop).

However, the reason the Suns get an A- is their pick-up of Tyler Ulis in the second round.

Sure, it plays up the moniker of the "Kentucky Suns" even further (there are now five former John Calipari players on their roster). At the same time, Ulis will bring immediate toughness and leadership to a super-young team.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2016 ... ers-062416

SI.com - (B+)
Dragan Bender AND MarqueseChriss. Brandon Knight AND Eric Bledsoe AND Devin Booker. Tyson Chanlder AND Alex Len. The Suns are a mess in the best way possible.

They may have not any clear plan or direction, but they have options, and that's more than you can say for most bad teams. They came into this draft looking for a stretch four, and they'll leave with the two best stretch four options on the board, and all it took was giving up a role player to the Kings. Chriss isn't a sure thing and Bender's upside is questionable, but this is a huge win.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/24/nba-dr ... mberwolves

ESPN.com - Chad Ford (A)
The Suns added an elite backcourt shooter last year in Devin Booker. This year they addressed a huge need at the 4 with two of the best shooting bigs in the draft.

Bender is very skilled, can guard multiple positions, protects the rim and plays with a great motor. If he were a more explosive athlete, he might have gone even higher.

Chriss is the freakiest athlete in the draft. It's rare to see a 6-foot-10 guy who can move the way he can. He's further away from putting it together than Bender, but I think he has the highest upside in the draft after Simmons and Ingram. I can also see scenarios where both Bender and Chriss can get on the floor together.

And adding Ulis in the second was great. If he were three inches taller, he would've been a top-10 pick. He should be great backing up Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight in Phoenix.

Things just got brighter in the Valley of the Sun. I'm bullish on the Suns again.

Phoenix Suns

The Suns landed the top two stretch power forwards in the draft in Croatia's Dragan Bender and Washington's Marquese Chriss. Power forward was their biggest need, and they added two very talented players.

Chriss is the freakiest athlete in the draft. Bender is one of the most skilled players, especially at his size of 7-foot-1. They'll be able to play together in some lineups.

Based on the haul of pure talent, the Suns won the night.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:

Marshall Plumlee to the Knicks, Perry Ellis on his way to join Mavs summer league team.
Were you serious about your "F" grade?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

da_suns_fan wrote: Teams spend millions of dollars figuring out who to pick and five years later we look back and say almost everyone got it wrong, including the "graders".
I know you firmly believe this, because you repeat about every year. I could care less about the graders; I think it is a gross exaggeration to say that almost everyone gets it wrong if by everyone you mean the teams drafting.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Were you serious about your "F" grade?
Yep.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You don't think that is a bit ridiculous? I get not liking trading all those picks and Bogdan for 8, but F?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:You don't think that is a bit ridiculous? I get not liking trading all those picks and Bogdan for 8, but F?
I didn't like selecting Bender, I didn't like giving up so much to move up 5 spots, I hated drafting Chriss, I hated essentially pouring all of the draft assets into drafting two suspect power forward prospects, and I didn't like drafting Tyler Ulis. So no, I don't think an F grade is ridiculous.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If another team made those moves, you wouldn't give them an F.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That makes no sense. Why would I give any team a good grade for drafting two prospects I don't think are good?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

No guarantee that either Bender or Chriss will work out. But it's hard for me to look at the list of players drafted and give us worse than a "B". I would even tentatively give this draft an "A-" though I am on record as wanting Sabonis over Chriss with that #8 pick.

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

INFORMER wrote:
Indy wrote:You don't think that is a bit ridiculous? I get not liking trading all those picks and Bogdan for 8, but F?
I didn't like selecting Bender, I didn't like giving up so much to move up 5 spots, I hated drafting Chriss, I hated essentially pouring all of the draft assets into drafting two suspect power forward prospects, and I didn't like drafting Tyler Ulis. So no, I don't think an F grade is ridiculous.
quick! someone call the waaaaaaambulance

~~~~~

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sorry for answering a question.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Under the no-trade rules I posted before, I presume you'd have take Hield at 4 and Skal at 13? Whom would you have taken at 28 and 34?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:Under the no-trade rules I posted before, I presume you'd have take Hield at 4 and Skal at 13? Whom would you have taken at 28 and 34?
4: Hield
13: Valentine
28: Diallo*
34: Joel Bolomboy

*#28 is a very difficult decision for me. I could have gone with either Skal or Diallo. I probably would have tried to purchase another second rounder to nab Zipser or Cornelie.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Look out for the Clippers 2nd round acquisition, David Michineau. Could be a nice surprise.

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:Under the no-trade rules I posted before, I presume you'd have take Hield at 4 and Skal at 13? Whom would you have taken at 28 and 34?
28: Diallo
A few days ago you said Skal would be your second choice at 4 if Hield was gone. Now you pass on him at 13 and 28?

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:Sorry for answering a question.
Thank you

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I can't be mad at the picks and I love the size and athleticism we added. I'm even excited about Ulis, just because of his IQ.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
28: Diallo
A few days ago you said Skal would be your second choice at 4 if Hield was gone. Now you pass on him at 13 and 28?
Well first, I said Hield, Skal, or Sabonis at 4. And I was hardly 100% committed to that.

Taking Hield at 4 would have prompted me to look at landing either Valentine or Brogdon in the draft because I would have felt that making a Hield/Booker lineup work would require a skilled primary ball-handler with height. So taking Hield at 4 would have necessitated taking Valentine at 13.

At 28, like I said, I would have decided between Diallo and Skal. Skal would have had less appeal for me after taking Hield and Valentine because I want to use 28 on someone that brought more defensive potential to the table. That's probably why I would go with Diallo.