2016 NBA DRAFT

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: 2016 NBA DRAFT

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm with 4life on this one. You can't bash a guy for picking the player you were hoping to get.

Did he get the best player available (for the Suns) at his draft position? That's the only thing to judge the draft on.

If you want to bash a guy for the draft, tell us which pick you hate and which guy you wish we had taken.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Who is bashing him? I said he is fine at the draft. But just because Booker is The New Hope, doesn't mean he is great at the draft. So far I would say he is fine at drafting and bad at assembling a roster.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Interesting. Thad Young got the Nets #20. While Kieff got us #13.
Not that surprising. Kieff has an insane contract now, the Wizards were actually desperate and we took dead money back. The difference between the players, if any, is not significant enough to surpass the disparity in the circumstances surrounding each move.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:If we go with Chriss, we're going with the athlete and not the basketball player. No bueno.
Exactly. The one thing they tell you to avoid.
Sunsfan4life wrote:Agreed.
I've got no choice but to think "in McDonough we trust." He's been a pretty good drafter thus far.
I would disagree. Which pick did he make that was not the consensus at that position, and that has turned out better than the players taking within a few spots after?
So what choice do you have?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:Exactly. He's always drafted around the area that a player was projected to go. That's what has me worried about tonight, I can definitely see him taking Bender or Chriss.
I feel 98% that he IS taking Bender or Chriss. There is nothing to see here.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:Exactly. He's always drafted around the area that a player was projected to go. That's what has me worried about tonight, I can definitely see him taking Bender or Chriss.
I think we're split on Bender, but are we all pretty much agreed that we're not high on Chriss?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I like Chriss, but I think I'm one of the few. He's a bad rebounder and he fouls a lot, but he's also only 18. He's the best athlete in the draft, he protects the rim, he stretches the floor and has all the tools to be a solid defender who can switch onto perimeter players. Also, he's a bad defensive rebounder, he was actually a good offensive rebounder. I know everyone will hate the pick, but I think it's the right one.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:If we go with Chriss, we're going with the athlete and not the basketball player. No bueno.
Exactly. The one thing they tell you to avoid.
Sunsfan4life wrote:Agreed.
I've got no choice but to think "in McDonough we trust." He's been a pretty good drafter thus far.
I would disagree. Which pick did he make that was not the consensus at that position, and that has turned out better than the players taking within a few spots after?
So what choice do you have?
I agree with that first sentence.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I think we're split on Bender, but are we all pretty much agreed that we're not high on Chriss?
I agree with that, Not high on Chriss. Would be satisfied with Bender. I think it will be Chriss though sadly. Haven't seen us connected to anyone cept Chriss or Kris Dunn in the last few days after it being all Bender early. Hopefully a smokescreen.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Yeah, sounds like it will be Chriss at 4. Ugh. Hopefully, Celtics pick him at 3 or we trade the pick.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yep I would bet it is Chriss, unfortunately.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Edit: double posted, site was acting funky.
Last edited by Wally_West on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I've come around to Chriss, in part because I trust our scouts, and that's their guy (apparently). The athleticism, ability to switch, good measurables. Surely, a kid can be taught to box out and stay down on fakes, right? To my mind, the biggest question is what's between the ears. If a guy grows up playing football, can he truly love the game? I started playing when I was six, and I'm an addict. I really think that helps.

Only a handful of guys in this draft could one day be able to make that chasedown block by LeBron - Simmons, Ingram, Chriss, Diallo, B. Johnson. If we don't get Chriss, I'd like to grab Johnson. Not sure it would make sense to draft both, though I do think that whomever takes him is getting the steal of the draft.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

If we end up with Chriss and Murray, I'll be stoked. Core starters complete: Murray-Booker-Warren-Chriss-Len. Love it.

Only question is whether this coaching staff can get those guys to reach their potential - especially defensively. They have A LOT of work to do.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Chriss IS NOT A BASKETBALL PLAYER. he's just an athlete. He has no brain and no heart. PASS.

I'd rather take Bender and I don't like him either. If we take Chriss and he doesn't pan out I'm fucking done with this loser organization. Can I get please make a deal??? Every other team is making moves that has set them up nicely for the future. The Suns continue to be reactive rather than proactive. So sick of this organization

Cap

Post by Cap »

I recall seeing a video of Brandon Knight doing some test where they measured his reaction time to physical challenges while he answered trivia questions at the same time. Something about this test convinced somebody that BK would have a good BBIQ, because it showed he could think and react at the same time, or something like that. Given the results with Knight, I hope they're not relying on the same test for Chriss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Split T

Post by Split T »

My ideal draft if we don't make any trades
4. Chriss
13. Valentine
28. Luwawu or Yabusule if luwawu is gone
34. Yabusule or Lavert

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'd rather have Elgin Cook than Marquese Chriss.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

https://twitter.com/gambo987/status/746094088970108928

Cap

Post by Cap »

Somebody at 538 calls Chriss "insanely overrated."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wha ... -prospect/