Suns 2017 Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns 2017 Free Agency

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:Just say no to Blake, at pretty much any cost. I just don't see guys liking to play with him.
I wouldn't take that talent lightly. If he wants to play for PHX we should take it. Pairing Booker with a frontcourt player of his caliber should be a franchise goal. Probably the only realistic FA I'd consider.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

At least he's shown good will toward Phoenix. It's refreshing to hear that some think we're a good destination:
During a recent podcast, he ranked Phoenix as the underrated pick on his Mt. Rushmore of NBA cities, comparing the Valley to Teddy Roosevelt on the iconic monument.

“It’s a good team, great weather always, (and a) young town,” Griffin said. “You have Scottsdale. You have Phoenix. It’s all right there. That’s like a sleeper city to me.”
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Michael Eaves of ESPN just said Blake might not be able to start the season and could be out until December because of his toe injury.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Indy wrote:Just say no to Blake, at pretty much any cost. I just don't see guys liking to play with him.
I wouldn't take that talent lightly. If he wants to play for PHX we should take it. Pairing Booker with a frontcourt player of his caliber should be a franchise goal. Probably the only realistic FA I'd consider.
I hope Dragan isn't reading this. It must be distressing to hear us connected with an FA who would ensure he never sees the floor.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
I hope Dragan isn't reading this. It must be distressing to hear us connected with an FA who would ensure he never sees the floor.
Dragan could still play a lot when Blake is out for his annual injury. And in a bout 2 years when Blake has completely broken down, Dragan will be ready for big minutes.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Dragan could still play a lot when Blake is out for his annual injury. And in a bout 2 years when Blake has completely broken down, Dragan will be ready for big minutes.
Exactly. We don't need a repeat of Amare in NY.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Exactly. We don't need a repeat of Amare in NY.
If you can convince Blake to sign a two-year contract, count me in!

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thank you. These are from guys that I expect were all over signing LMA. Who was older and a horrible fit for the rest of the roster. I expect some would love for us to acquire Kevin Love.

We need to be a team that shares the ball and runs the court. Griffin is a wiling passer as well as a dynamic offensive force. Sharing the ball comes from the not only the PG of choice but the head coach and player (s). That will happen in a projected lineup including Chriss or Bender along with Griffin, Jackson, Booker and Ulis. It should set the table for the rest of the team to play that way. I just think we took a big step in that direction by drafting Jackson, why no just add to the process. We should have the money and I would rather see it spent on someone that potentially could make a huge difference rather than some bargain basement free agent role player that will have no impact.

I think Griffin would be welcomed with open arms. I am tired of seeing us waste money on players like Chandler, Dudley and Barbosa and claiming they were fantastic moves. The facts are that we suck after all those fantastic additions. I want us to be relevant sooner than later. Griffin has also said that Phoenix is a great destination. What other quality free agent has said that in recent memory?

If Griffin ends up going to the Heat, which would be my choice if I were him, they will be a factor in the East baring any major injuries. I would not stay with the Clippers if I were him but that is what is probably going to happen.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thank you. These are from guys that I expect were all over signing LMA. Who was older and a horrible fit for the rest of the roster. I expect some would love for us to acquire Kevin Love.

We need to be a team that shares the ball and runs the court. Griffin is a wiling passer as well as a dynamic offensive force. Sharing the ball comes from the not only the PG of choice but the head coach and player (s). That will happen in a projected lineup including Chriss or Bender along with Griffin, Jackson, Booker and Ulis. It should set the table for the rest of the team to play that way. I just think we took a big step in that direction by drafting Jackson, why no just add to the process. We should have the money and I would rather see it spent on someone that potentially could make a huge difference rather than some bargain basement free agent role player that will have no impact.

I think Griffin would be welcomed with open arms. I am tired of seeing us waste money on players like Chandler, Dudley and Barbosa and claiming they were fantastic moves. The facts are that we suck after all those fantastic additions. I want us to be relevant sooner than later. Griffin has also said that Phoenix is a great destination. What other quality free agent has said that in recent memory?

If Griffin ends up going to the Heat, which would be my choice if I were him, they will be a factor in the East baring any major injuries. I would not stay with the Clippers if I were him but that is what is probably going to happen.
You were in favor of resigning Amare for 100M too, right? The guy has missed a full season over the last 3. His durability isn't going to go up. Sure, if you can sign him for way under the market price, at way under the market years, fine. But that isn't going to happen.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would do 3 years max, which may even be preferable for him since he'll be 31 and could still get last long term, 4-5 year deal.

But again, if he couldn't get far with Paul and DeAndre will he do much more Bledsoe, Booker and Chander (assuming he's around)?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:...will he do much more Bledsoe, Booker and Chander (assuming he's around)?
And a deep roster, which is something he never had in LAC. Truth is I don't care. On talent the guy is one of the few superstars in the game and if you can add for free, you ask questions later (imo). And if he indeed goes down with injury like Amare, we can always go back to tanking. After the third year of his hypothetical contract, he'd be an usable expiring contract.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wouldn't mind having Blake here, but I don't think I trust Watson to integrate him properly into our roster while not letting Chriss and/or Bender languish. I fear that our coach may not really believe in Bender and may starve him of minutes.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, right now the Suns have depth, but they don't really have quality depth. Most of them really haven't shown that they're ready for big minutes, and among the ones that have, Booker has some big holes in his game that he needs to address before you can consider him a star.

Griffin would move the needle, but they'd still probably be a .500 team at best. They need guys like Chris, Bender, Warren, Ulis and Jackson to develop (as well as Booker) before they're really any kind of contender.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

I've thought about going after Griffin a lot recently and here are my thoughts:

1. I think we should definitely set up a visit. Feel out his interest level, let our medical staff check him out, and see what kind of contract he's looking for.
2. I worry about the injury history, but if he's healthy now, I'd risk it on a 3 year deal
3. I think his game will age well. His athleticism has already gone down a notch, but he's still very effective. He has a high bball IQ and his mid range jumper is good.
4. I see his production level over the next 3 years being similar to Milsap over the last 3. Less defense, more shot creation.
5. Being able to throw 5 guys on the court at the same time who can create off the dribble is enticing(Bled, Booker, Jackson, Bender, Griffin)
6. The guy is seriously underrated as a playmaker, he'd be our best one from the get go. I'd seriously consider moving Bledsoe for a "combo guard" They'd need to be able to defend the 1 and shoot from 3. Then let Griffin run a lot of the offense. A Griffin/Chriss pick and roll would be fun and you could always run the traditional pick and roll with booker/Griffin.
7. The ball movement potential would be great, especially if we move Bledsoe.
8. I'd worry about a Griffin/Chriss/Bender front court defensively. Bender and Chriss have shown potential as rim protectors but Griffin never has and we could get abused down low.
9. While I think we ultimately need to make a move like this, ideally next off-season would be the time to do it. I haven't looked at who's available next year though.
10. In the end, Its probably too risky to make the move as I'd expect we'd have to pay the 4 year max, I think 130 million over 4. It doesn't make us better than GS, and Griffin could get hurt or decline by the time our youngsters are ready to compete. However, if he comes in and takes a 3 year 75 million type deal, I think I'd give it a shot, if our medical team says ok.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

That extra year wouldn't be an obstacle to me. I agree on pretty much everything else.

If Griffin was added, you need to make a trade for a rim portector at PF/C. Chandler is not that. Would Orlando want Knight for Biyombo? Dump Chandler, let Len walk, keep Big Sauce.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wait, so you get Griffin and a shot blocker, where does Chriss go? Chriss and Griffin together defensively is not good, the rebounding would suffer because Blake somehow forgot how to do it and Chriss isnt that good at, neither really block shots, I just dont get it. Chasing Griffin to me is chasing a name, for what? That 8th seed dream? Pass.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think some of Griffin's rebounding woes are due to playing alongside deandre. DeAndre is one of the 2 or 3 best rebounders in the league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

We are meeting with Blake on saturday per Gambo.

Lame.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:We are meeting with Blake on saturday per Gambo.

Lame.
I think it's dumb not to meet with him. As for signing him, that depends on a lot of other factors.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

I'm cool either way.. If he signed and bled and he stayed healthy I think we make the play-offs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk