Around the League: Week 25 4/2-4/11

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Hermen

Re: Around the League: Week 25 4/2-4/11

Post by Hermen »

The OKC - Memphis game on Wednesday should be hilarious. Westbrook supposedly needs 16 rebounds (read on reddit, didn't fact check) in order to average another tripple double for the season. Today he had 18 against Miami, Adams had 3 in 31 minutes. That team isn't serious.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hermen wrote:The OKC - Memphis game on Wednesday should be hilarious. Westbrook supposedly needs 16 rebounds (read on reddit, didn't fact check) in order to average another tripple double for the season. Today he had 18 against Miami, Adams had 3 in 31 minutes. That team isn't serious.
Meh. Nobody will care how he got it. Wilt was fed specifically to pursue his 100. Others too, like David Robinson for his scoring title. Even Booker's 70.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Hermen wrote:The OKC - Memphis game on Wednesday should be hilarious. Westbrook supposedly needs 16 rebounds (read on reddit, didn't fact check) in order to average another tripple double for the season. Today he had 18 against Miami, Adams had 3 in 31 minutes. That team isn't serious.
Meh. Nobody will care how he got it. Wilt was fed specifically to pursue his 100. Others too, like David Robinson for his scoring title. Even Booker's 70.
Exactly. Which year was it that two guys were neck and neck for the scoring title and their teams just fed them over and over and over the last game to see who would get it? These things happen all the time, and people will simply remember he had consecutive triple double years. The fact that he is 18 rebounds away, after 81 games, is already amazing.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Exactly. Which year was it that two guys were neck and neck for the scoring title and their teams just fed them over and over and over the last game to see who would get it? These things happen all the time, and people will simply remember he had consecutive triple double years. The fact that he is 18 rebounds away, after 81 games, is already amazing.
I think his stat chasing is bad for the team. For example (the first that came to my mind) I looked at the number of contested shots per 36 minutes for players with at least 30 games played. The only player behind Westbrook (3.4 contestend shots) is Jamal Crawford (2.8). Defensive stalwart James Harden contests more than twice as many shoots at 7.7. In addition to Crawford there are 5 more centers that contest fewer 3 pointers than Westbrook, which makes sense since they protect the rim, but they are bad defenders anyway (Monroe, Lauvergne, Chandler).

By the way, Bender contests a lot of 3 pointers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Hermen wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
I think his stat chasing is bad for the team. For example (the first that came to my mind) I looked at the number of contested shots per 36 minutes for players with at least 30 games played. The only player behind Westbrook (3.4 contestend shots) is Jamal Crawford (2.8). Defensive stalwart James Harden contests more than twice as many shoots at 7.7. In addition to Crawford there are 5 more centers that contest fewer 3 pointers than Westbrook, which makes sense since they protect the rim, but they are bad defenders anyway (Monroe, Lauvergne, Chandler).

This made me laugh. Yeah, Bender is picked on a lot on switches. Hopefully he turns the corner and starts to make them pay for switching next year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

Do you mean he is driving the morale lower, or he is hurting OKC in W/L?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Exactly. Which year was it that two guys were neck and neck for the scoring title and their teams just fed them over and over and over the last game to see who would get it?
George Gervin and David Thompson, 1978.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Thanks cap

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

Do you mean he is driving the morale lower, or he is hurting OKC in W/L?
I just meant they would be better if Westbrook wouldn't chase stats and the contested shots were meant to show that he leaves his man on defense to get rebounds.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hermen wrote:By the way, Bender contests a lot of 3 pointers.
That is laughable to me. He is always a step behind and rarely actually affects the shot.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope Westbrook works his ass off, pushing teammates aside for every rebound, and ends up with 17. And that OKC loses the game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I hope Westbrook works his ass off, pushing teammates aside for every rebound, and ends up with 17. And that OKC loses the game.
He only needs 16, so I'm sure Westbrook would be fine with that

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Exactly. Which year was it that two guys were neck and neck for the scoring title and their teams just fed them over and over and over the last game to see who would get it?
George Gervin and David Thompson, 1978.
http://www.nba.com/history/top-moments/ ... n-thompson
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

Hate the Lakers but this is a cool story: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2310 ... les-lakers
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:Hate the Lakers but this is a cool story: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2310 ... les-lakers
And he went 4/5 from 3 and scored 19 points!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote: Yeah, I already gave up the dream, but hopefully it's for the best as McD didn't really want it this year anyway.
Yeah, why would we want it this year when there are actually a lot of really good players to choose from? :roll:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
carey wrote:Hate the Lakers but this is a cool story: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2310 ... les-lakers
How did this Andre Ingram guy not get a chance before now. Career 46% 3pt shooter in g league over 10 years, shot 55% last year, 48% this year. What's the difference between him and Troy Daniels?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Split T wrote:
How did this Andre Ingram guy not get a chance before now. Career 46% 3pt shooter in g league over 10 years, shot 55% last year, 48% this year. What's the difference between him and Troy Daniels?
1" and 6 years.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Games to watch tonight:

Utah @ Portland - Winner gets the 3rd seed, loser is tied for 4th.
San Antonio @ New Orleans - Loser will be tied for the 8th seed, winner will be tied for the 4th.
Denver @ Minnesota - Winner gets in to the playoffs tied for 8th, loser goes home.

Milwaukee @ Philadelphia - 6ers need to won to hold onto the 3rd seed. Bucks need to win to hold onto the 6th seed. But maybe the Bucks just want to let this one go and get Boston in the first round.
Washington and Miami both play games in which the other team has no incentive to win. I expect both to win, but you never know.
OKC plays, and needs to win to wrap up the 6th spot, but I don't think they will have any trouble beating Memphis.

A total of 7 games and 11 teams with playoff seeding implications tonight.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

You guys still think Durant destroyed parity in the league?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan