With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Deandre Ayton
54%
Luca Doncic
44%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Split T

Re: Ayton, or Doncic, that is the question...

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I'm about 65/35 in favor of Doncic right now. Doncic does so many things on the floor that would really open up the offense. And I think the Suns can get someone who's at least 80% of Ayton elsewhere, or maybe we get lucky Chriss/Bender figure it out under a permanent coaching staff.
Hmmm, I think it might be easier to get someone who can do 80% of what Doncic does. I'm probably 70-25-5 in favor of Ayton, with Bagley holding a little hope, haha.
I disagree because Doncic's role involves more decision making and ball handling, which are hard to find at an elite level for a player his size. Ayton, or pretty much any other big man, would likely have a role that's focused on being a defensive anchor, rebounding and post scoring. Those things are easier to get in the league right now, IMO.
You might be right, we'll see. I still might change but right now I'm leaning Ayton. Can I ask who you think in this league can provide is what you think Ayton will provide?
Remember, I said 80% of Ayton. In no particular order, I think these guys can be serviceable in that role.

Dedmon
Capela
Cauley-Stein
Valanciunas
Robin Lopez
Favors
Whiteside
Kanter

There are others, but they're guys I favor right now.
Hmm, I probably just think Ayton will be better than you think. I'd agree with Capela and maybe favors/kanter if Ayton ends up on the lower end of what I expect.

ShelC

Re: With the FIRST pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Post by ShelC »

Might be nothing but:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2353 ... ext-season

I don't think he stays overseas, maybe he's sending a message that if we don't take him #1 he doesn't want to go to Sac or ATL?

SDC

Post by SDC »

doncic ok with phx mem or dallas. not ok with sac or atl.

SDC

Post by SDC »

thats why its impt the suns draft ayton at #1.

becuz trading for doncic becomes possible. and if mcdo threw in enough goodies at sac or atl, he might be able to get doncic too!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Even if Sac or ATL were willing to consider trading the pick, they’re not going to accept “a few late first-rounders and your pick of guys from the bench of the worst team in the league,” which is the kind of proposal we’ve been seeing. Please, folks, stop suggesting trades where we get a future HOFer for spare parts. It’s embarrassing.

Actually, here’s an idea. Before you post any trade proposal for the Kings or Hawks pick, try posting it on a Kings or Hawks board. If the Kings/Hawks fans tell you to go fuck yourself, don’t post the proposal here.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Look at that... It's a hint, or the social media guy loves Doncic... Image

Split T

Post by Split T »

They changed that when Kokoskov was named coach. It's not for Doncic

SDC

Post by SDC »

trade josh jackson for their picks.

and sac atl could play it safe by selecting bagley or jjj instead

Split T

Post by Split T »

We're not trading back into the top 4 without Josh Jackson and multiple picks. Then you'd need to find a team who actually wants those pieces over who they can just grab in the draft. Can't offer a couple quarters, couple dimes, and all our nickels and pennies for a dollar.

SDC

Post by SDC »

lol hes not a future HOFer...

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:They changed that when Kokoskov was named coach. It's not for Doncic
The Š happened when K was hired. The 1 happened after the lottery.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:Even if Sac or ATL were willing to consider trading the pick, they’re not going to accept “a few late first-rounders and your pick of guys from the bench of the worst team in the league,” which is the kind of proposal we’ve been seeing. Please, folks, stop suggesting trades where we get a future HOFer for spare parts. It’s embarrassing.

Actually, here’s an idea. Before you post any trade proposal for the Kings or Hawks pick, try posting it on a Kings or Hawks board. If the Kings/Hawks fans tell you to go f*** yourself, don’t post the proposal here.
I know you're not speaking directly to me. I wasn't suggesting the Kings or Hawks as trade partners, as I still think they are in an extended rebuild. Perhaps Sac pulls out of it soon, but still think they are further away than next year.

My proposal is specific to Memphis with where they landed, salary cap situation, roster situation and desire to compete quickly as Conley returns and Gasol can't handle another year with G-Leaguers and losing.

Do you really think a trade proposal from the Suns that doesn't include Jackson or Booker is ridiculous?

Btw, when did trade proposals on this site get outlawed, and who made that rule?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:trade josh jackson for their picks.

and sac atl could play it safe by selecting bagley or jjj instead
SDC, seriously, post your trade proposals on boards for the other teams. If the fans of the other team think it’s ridiculously horrible for them, don’t come here and try to convince us that the team would be happy to make the trade.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:Even if Sac or ATL were willing to consider trading the pick, they’re not going to accept “a few late first-rounders and your pick of guys from the bench of the worst team in the league,” which is the kind of proposal we’ve been seeing. Please, folks, stop suggesting trades where we get a future HOFer for spare parts. It’s embarrassing.

Actually, here’s an idea. Before you post any trade proposal for the Kings or Hawks pick, try posting it on a Kings or Hawks board. If the Kings/Hawks fans tell you to go f*** yourself, don’t post the proposal here.
I know you're not speaking directly to me. I wasn't suggesting the Kings or Hawks as trade partners, as I still think they are in an extended rebuild. Perhaps Sac pulls out of it soon, but still think they are further away than next year.

My proposal is specific to Memphis with where they landed, salary cap situation, roster situation and desire to compete quickly as Conley returns and Gasol can't handle another year with G-Leaguers and losing.

Do you really think a trade proposal from the Suns that doesn't include Jackson or Booker is ridiculous?

Btw, when did trade proposals on this site get outlawed, and who made that rule?
It’s not a law or a rule, but I think it’s a good idea because we’ve seen a rash of one-sided trade proposals that amount to highway robbery.

If Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggester posts it on a Grizzlies board and sees that Grizzlies fans hate the idea, maybe he won’t continue to expect the Grizzlies FO to jump at it.

Ah, never mind. I’m just being naive.

SDC

Post by SDC »

cap, sac atl might be willing to trade down if doncic doesnt want to play for them

Split T

Post by Split T »

SDC wrote:cap, sac atl might be willing to trade down if doncic doesnt want to play for them
Or they can just grab Bagley who both teams are rumored to love. Even if they decide to trade down, there's no reason they have to accept crap offers. I really don't see a scenario, short of offering Booker, that gets us back into the top 4 without clearing out everything. And that still requires the team to love Jackson. Josh Jackson, #16, future MIL pick, Future Mia pick, our unprotected 2019 pick for a top 4 pick? Those teams still might not do it. For one, if they want to win now, that gives them zero win now pieces. If they want to rebuild, they can get a better piece by just picking at 2/3/4.

Remember, Boston tried to trade 4 first round picks to multiple teams to trade up and draft justise Winslow and got turned down by all of them. Teams don't give up high lotto picks easy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

It’s not a law or a rule, but I think it’s a good idea because we’ve seen a rash of one-sided trade proposals that amount to highway robbery.

If Mr. Preposterous Trade Suggester posts it on a Grizzlies board and sees that Grizzlies fans hate the idea, maybe he won’t continue to expect the Grizzlies FO to jump at it.

Ah, never mind. I’m just being naive.
Quick Cap, call Arizonasports right now and tell them to STFU. They actually suggested fleecing the Kings to get both, as Doncic is threatening to not come if he gets picked by them. I know it's entertainment, but how dare them even suggest it.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:cap, sac atl might be willing to trade down if doncic doesnt want to play for them
You really, really, really don’t want to try to convince Sac or ATL fans of that, do you?

Why not? Hey, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe you’re right. Let’s find out. Go make your sales pitch. See if you get any bites.

SDC

Post by SDC »

rubio was drafted in 2009, but started playing only in 2011. good luck for the next two yrs sac atl.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:rubio was drafted in 2009, but started playing only in 2011. good luck for the next two yrs sac atl.
Honestly, if I felt I was still a couple years away from the playoffs, it wouldn't stop me at all from drafting him, especially if you think he will significantly improve your team immediately. Let me build some more talent up before he gives me a big bump.