Game Day: Grizzlies (7-16) @ Suns (11-12), Wed 12/11/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Game Day: Grizzlies (7-16) @ Suns (11-12), Wed 12/11/19

Post by djy2j »

What the hell was that shit? What offense were we running? It’s like we found the Grizz playbook and decided to run their shitty offense.

What was Monty doing? Why was he getting out coached by a guy who looks like a finance manager of a used car lot that’s about to go under?

What game were the refs watching? Did they turn traveling off?

So many questions after watching that piece of shit.

Why does Monty insist on Frank playing so many minutes guarding post players? Put Diallo in. At least he has a chance at blocking something. Frank only scores when he’s spotted up behind the arc and nobody’s guarding him. So run that play and nothing else for him. I don’t know why they pass it to him when he’s inside or running towards the basket. It’s a miss or turnover every time.

Booker is clearly hurt. That and he looks tired and or doesn’t give a shit.

Kelly needs to realize when he needs to step up. He was invisible on offense.

Wish Monty would have tried something different in terms of rotations or PT. That was tough to watch
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That was a lame game. I agree Booker is not right. He was favoring that bandaged right wrist or forearm and was reluctant to score. Last game he hit the floor a lot and got up and walked gingerly a few times.

Also the shots were not falling for everyone but Kaminsky.

I don’t know why Diallo couldn’t get any time.

Flush it....

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

You play with fire, sometimes you get burned.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:04 pm
That 3 and 1 by Johnson should have counted. Shame.
Yeah, that was ridiculous. You shouldn't get penalized by those. Then the Grizzlies had a 3 point play on the other end.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And the Suns have missed a LOT of layups, lately.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Tough loss and we underestimated them and we really shouldn't have - they play better away (5 - 6) than they do at home (3 - 10) and we had to be on guard after a chest puffing statement game against Minny and we weren't.

This will bring them back to earth, so lesson learned hopefully.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Could tell throughout the game we just didn't have it. We'd play in spurts with good energy, speed, passing and then fall back into a lull. It was a choppy, grinding game and we played to Memphis' style instead of playing fast where we had an advantage. This was a game where we missed Ayton down low against the likes of JJJ and Valanciunas. Also just couldn't stop dribble penetration. Tough loss, Booker's wrist is no good but he says it's just a bruise. I thought Baynes looked off last night too. Jerome struggled again but Monty stuck with him. Might be a short-term loss for a long term gain there if Jerome can get it going. Might've tried one of the other guys for a boost and some dribble penetration of our own.

Also, always been a fan of Crowder and he's on an ending deal this summer. He's a guy I'd love to add but not sure if we'd have the minutes.

2 days off to get better before Mexico City.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:37 am
Could tell throughout the game we just didn't have it. We'd play in spurts with good energy, speed, passing and then fall back into a lull. It was a choppy, grinding game and we played to Memphis' style instead of playing fast where we had an advantage. This was a game where we missed Ayton down low against the likes of JJJ and Valanciunas. Also just couldn't stop dribble penetration. Tough loss, Booker's wrist is no good but he says it's just a bruise. I thought Baynes looked off last night too. Jerome struggled again but Monty stuck with him. Might be a short-term loss for a long term gain there if Jerome can get it going. Might've tried one of the other guys for a boost and some dribble penetration of our own.

Also, always been a fan of Crowder and he's on an ending deal this summer. He's a guy I'd love to add but not sure if we'd have the minutes.

2 days off to get better before Mexico City.
No way it is just a bruise. I wasn't aware that taping a bruised wrist does much to help it. They way he pulled it back after that steal attempt said a lot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He was making a point not to use his right hand after the 2nd qtr, dribbling, driving and finishing left, slapping hands with his left and pressing to even shoot FTs with his right.

I'm hoping it's nothing structural with ligaments that might require surgery. Our luck would be getting Ayton back and then losing Book for 6-8 weeks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:10 am
He was making a point not to use his right hand after the 2nd qtr, dribbling, driving and finishing left, slapping hands with his left and pressing to even shoot FTs with his right.

I'm hoping it's nothing structural with ligaments that might require surgery. Our luck would be getting Ayton back and then losing Book for 6-8 weeks.
Yeah. I assume it is a wrist sprain, and the more he plays, the longer it will take to heal.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

In the end it was our rebounding...55 rebounds to 44. That more than accounts for the 7 point differential. We only got 18 minutes out of Baynes...this is a case where if we had Ayton, despite the low FG%, odds are we would have won.

Also...our offense will improve from his presence, as he will draw more attention than just the PF lineup. Oubre, props...14 brds last night...

Indy

Post by Indy »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:51 am
In the end it was our rebounding...55 rebounds to 44. That more than accounts for the 7 point differential. We only got 18 minutes out of Baynes...this is a case where if we had Ayton, despite the low FG%, odds are we would have won.

Also...our offense will improve from his presence, as he will draw more attention than just the PF lineup. Oubre, props...14 brds last night...
No. didn't you read saucey? He was worthless last night and didn't come to play.

And this seems crazy to say, but Booker, even with his 15/10 night, cost us the game. He was a minus 23, and just couldn't keep up. He was clearly in pain and playing through it, but we might have been better off sitting him last night.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:00 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

No. didn't you read saucey? He was worthless last night and didn't come to play.

And this seems crazy to say, but Booker, even with his 15/10 night, cost us the game. He was a minus 23, and just couldn't keep up. He was clearly in pain and playing through it, but we might have been better off sitting him last night.
I agree, it would have been better that he didn't play. I don't believe that it's just a bruise and I think he's hiding something. It's clearly affecting him, but it was affecting his defensive slides and his focus.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:37 am
Tough loss and we underestimated them and we really shouldn't have - they play better away (5 - 6) than they do at home (3 - 10) and we had to be on guard after a chest puffing statement game against Minny and we weren't.

Yep, reality check for sure.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:26 am
3rdside wrote:

We had lost 8 of 12 coming into the game. We needed a reality check?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 am
Superbone wrote:
3rdside wrote:

We have been in a free-fall since Baynes first went out, and you can see he still isn't 100%.

3rdside

Game Day: Grizzlies (7-16) @ Suns (11-12), Wed 12/11/19

Post by 3rdside »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
3rdside wrote:

You didn’t feel like we were getting ahead of ourselves post minny?

I definitely did.

Reality check might not be the right word if booker was physically struggling, but post game interviews everyone sounded pretty disappointed.

DB:

“It is a learning lesson for us. I think this will humble us and let us know, we have to bring it every night regardless of the situation, regardless of what team we are playing, regardless of what night it is home or away.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think we got ahead of ourselves by playing up the Minny game as some kind of big test with major playoff implications. We're also looking ahead to Ayton and starting to think about his addition to the lineup.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

:!:
Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:00 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:

:roll: Oubre loves his stats. Just watch next game every time his man touches the ball how easily he blows by him. He likes stats, not defense

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:49 am
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
3rdside wrote:

You didn’t feel like we were getting ahead of ourselves post minny?

I definitely did.

Reality check might not be the right word if booker was physically struggling, but post game interviews everyone sounded pretty disappointed.

DB:

“It is a learning lesson for us. I think this will humble us and let us know, we have to bring it every night regardless of the situation, regardless of what team we are playing, regardless of what night it is home or away.
Exactly this. Any good will was wiped away.

"Be Legendary."