Suns sign Eric Gordon

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns sign Eric Gordon

Post by Superbone »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:25 pm
Jones got a bad rap for decisions he made due to the restraints put on him by Sarver. Like getting rid of the G League team. He prioritized having a state of the art practice facility and probably had to sacrifice the g league team and scouting staff to make it happen.

With Ishbia, he’s had that ceiling that he kept having to operate under lifted.
Yep, that's been my point all along and INF blasted me for it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Credit where credit's due. It's Ishbia's money but Jones has executed well and changed the team around pretty significantly.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I'm giddy. The takeaway for me: the Suns can now survive an injury to Booker or Beal to take a Conf Finals or even the Championship. Not sure if we could survive an injury to Durant or Ayton but there is enough depth for it to be q real possibility as well.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:57 pm
I said it in the Ayton thread and I'm going to say it again here.

IF Ayton buys in to Vogel and understands what a great situation he is in, he could have a career year. A lot of ifs but I'm feeling pretty good about this upcoming season based on what I know about the FAs we have acquired. And then Gordon was the cherry on top for me. This upcoming season on paper is probably our best shot at an NBA Championship in our 55 year history!

I am absolutely giddy.
Giddy like this? ;)

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Where are the perpetual Debbie Downers and Negative Nancy's of .net? I want to get your takes on the FA signings, including Gordon. Looking for some hard negative takes to offset the optimism.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

pickle

Post by pickle »

We actually have a few players who can justifiably play 6-8 on other benches now so it’s hard not to like what we did this summer. But there is always downside to any situation… but I won’t go there. I haven’t been looking forward to the on court product like this year in forever.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:21 pm
Where are the perpetual Debbie Downers and Negative Nancy's of .net? I want to get your takes on the FA signings, including Gordon. Looking for some hard negative takes to offset the optimism.
We’re all pretty happy for once…. Let’s just enjoy this for a few minutes 😂

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Never thought this day would come, but I'm glad it's here.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Wow! A+ off-season!

Stay healthy! Going to be a very exciting year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:49 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:57 pm
I said it in the Ayton thread and I'm going to say it again here.

IF Ayton buys in to Vogel and understands what a great situation he is in, he could have a career year. A lot of ifs but I'm feeling pretty good about this upcoming season based on what I know about the FAs we have acquired. And then Gordon was the cherry on top for me. This upcoming season on paper is probably our best shot at an NBA Championship in our 55 year history!

I am absolutely giddy.
Giddy like this? ;)

Well, that was something. Maybe if Kyrie was coming. I kid! I really can't imagine a better offseason given the restraints. If you told me we were going to add Beal, lose Shamet (god rest his soul), add these solid vets and youngsters, keep Okogie, and top it off with Eric Gordon, all while not having to worry about Paul wanting to start and the perpetual losing of him to injury in the playoffs, I wouldn't have believed you. It's better than I could have ever imagined.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The pessimistic outlook is that we’re still relying heavily on a certain someone to perform at a level that he only feels like performing at sporadically. I think we’ve got enough talent to offset that now, for the most part. But the West does go though Jokic now and that certain someone can’t let him run roughshod on us.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My perfect offseason would be complete if we bring in Trendon Watford and then trade Ayton for Turner and McConnell.

Booker/Beal/KD/KDP/Turner
McConnell/EG/Okogie/Watanabe/Eubanks
Payne/Goodwin/Lee/Watford/Metu

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:05 pm
The pessimistic outlook is that we’re still relying heavily on a certain someone to perform at a level that he only feels like performing at sporadically. I think we’ve got enough talent to offset that now, for the most part. But the West does go though Jokic now and that certain someone can’t let him run roughshod on us.
What did Jokic do to Bam?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Long time fan of EG and obviously he's lost a bit with age but he for sure can still be money on many nights.
This is a simple point made in this tweet but can't be understated the value of spacing. Regardless of EG being older and maybe even streaky now, defenses are just not gonna willingly leave him wide open

And because he forces defenders to make those long close outs it helps his dribble attacks and chances to initiate contact and get to the line
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:23 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:05 pm
What did Jokic do to Bam?
I really don't want to highjack this thread with this topic, too. But since you brought it up, I'd encourage you to look at the starting center stats (both Jokic and his competition) during the West Semis and The NBA finals.

pickle

Post by pickle »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:06 pm
Long time fan of EG and obviously he's lost a bit with age but he for sure can still be money on many nights.
This is a simple point made in this tweet but can't be understated the value of spacing. Regardless of EG being older and maybe even streaky now, defenses are just not gonna willingly leave him wide open

And because he forces defenders to make those long close outs it helps his dribble attacks and chances to initiate contact and get to the line
One might say that he’s always been streaky. But I’m also super glad to have that extra 4 feet of spacing and his physical drives to the rim. Adds two components we miss with one player.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:53 pm
I really hope to see a KD at 5 line up that looks like Book-Beal-Yuta-KBD-KD. The size and and shooting of those 5 :shock:
I don't understand this fascination with wanting lineups with KD playing the 5.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:23 pm
What an incredible get…Get Trendon Watford and I’ll give them an A+
LOL, keep hope alive, Split.

(I'm afraid it isn't going to happen)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:24 pm
If anyone else (Oubre?) is willing to take the minimum too, we shouldn’t hesitate to cut Todd. He’s kind of wasting a roster spot.
Like I said before, it was a win for Washington to get him included in the deal.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:25 pm
Jones got a bad rap for decisions he made due to the restraints put on him by Sarver. Like getting rid of the G League team.
I think you're getting the narrative wrong. The G League thing was one of the few things you could reasonably put on Sarver; I think most, including me, gave Jones that. Also, not being able to spend the full MLE in the 2021 offseason - that most likely was Sarver. But if you only had half of the MLE to spend as your way of improving a team that lost in the Finals, why spend it on JaVale McGee? Was that Sarver's fault?

Did Sarver force James Jones to pass to Tyrese Haliburton?

Did Sarver force James Jones to think that Jalen Smith was a power forward when most of us here who saw him in college knew that he was a center?

Did Sarver force James Jones to field a summer league team of 30-year-olds (not having time to scout is not a plausible excuse; multiple posters on this board could come up with better names to put on a summer league team; and who says it doesn't take time to research who is playing in the Bosnian junior level division?!)

Did Sarver force James Jones to use De'Anthony Melton to get rid of Josh Jackson?

Did Sarver force James Jones to trade a first round pick for Landry Shamet?

Did Sarver, who is supposedly so cheap, force Jones to extend Landry Shamet before he even played a game for us?

Did Sarver forbid James Jones from adding a third point guard to the roster?